• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

slowfinger

International Debutant
Carse-Stokes reverse swing and Leach-Bashir spin gonna destroy Pak.

3rd match they will react and do a greentop and Woakes-Atkinson will run through them.

So they will lose on all 3 types of pitches.

Bookmark this. This is exactly what's going to happen.
bookmarked and earmarked

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pakistan doing Pakistan things

Among other things, they have one usable pitch at a test ground in the country

Other venues are either under construction or close to scheduled protests so can’t be used

Howe_zat

Audio File
Woakes and Atkinson played every test in the home summer and will presumably be playing in NZ as well so it makes sense.

But yeah it's lame that having to rest your bowlers is such a thing. I think it's the biggest reason ODI scores outside of world cups have been so much higher in the last 10-15 years than we used to have, it's just rare to get a full strength attack together outside of specifically planned contests.

Anyway, the England test team are opening the bowling, away, on a pitch that just played host to a 550 vs 800 - with Brydon Carse and Matthew Potts. So yeah, win the toss please.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I suspect that it is more R&R. Atkinson looked out on his feet at the Oval test v Sri Lanka. He bowled ok first test given the circumstances, but he probably needs a few days rest. Don't forget England go straight on to NZ soon after this series. Nuts schedule.

if we ever see robinson and atkinson i think that would be the closest we could get in the near future to broad and anderson. england really missing a diamond in that pair

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pakistan doing Pakistan things

Among other things, they have one usable pitch at a test ground in the country

Other venues are either under construction or close to scheduled protests so can’t be used
Nah they have other pitches ready in Multan. They just decided to reuse this one as they feel it gives them a better chance of beating England.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely makes sense that decision. Give Atkinson a week off and bring him back fresh for the 3rd Test where I suspect Carse will get a rest. I'd imagine none of the seamers were earmarked to play in all 3.

Nah they have other pitches ready in Multan. They just decided to reuse this one as they feel it gives them a better chance of beating England.
Remains to be seen, but kind of looked like England had all bases covered over Pakistan in terms of quality. A pitch with more life in surely makes Leach a bigger threat, and he looked by far the best spinner.

I suspect that it is more R&R. Atkinson looked out on his feet at the Oval test v Sri Lanka. He bowled ok first test given the circumstances, but he probably needs a few days rest. Don't forget England go straight on to NZ soon after this series. Nuts schedule.
Reckon he only played the 3rd Test vs Sri Lanka because it was at the Oval, his speeds both there and in Multan were down on what he is capable of, even if I thought he bowled rather well last week. Sensible call, the guy’s not a robot

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Reckon he only played the 3rd Test vs Sri Lanka because it was at the Oval, his speeds both there and in Multan were down on what he is capable of, even if I thought he bowled rather well last week. Sensible call, the guy’s not a robot
Yep agreed entirely. I think I made the point in a post last week that it is a heck of a lot of cricket in a 3 month period since the start of the Windies series and it doesn't let up until Christmas. I bet his volume of bowling is way above what he would have done with Surrey in the CC. He didn't ever play all their games either from my recollection.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Has i said that

2 Changes

Stokes & Potts for Woakes and Atkinson

Atkinson is very unlucky
Potts was unlucky not to be in the first test. His performance on the India A tour was the best of the bowlers think he put up 20+ wickets.

A full Durham seam attack is class. For the youngest first class county it's production of England players is quality. I believe in this century is only teams that have produced more is Yorkshire and Surrey. Maybe since 2004 anyway!

I'd previously looked at a Durham/Surrey comparison.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Potts was unlucky not to be in the first test. His performance on the India A tour was the best of the bowlers think he put up 20+ wickets.

A full Durham seam attack is class. For the youngest first class county it's production of England players is quality. I believe in this century is only teams that have produced more is Yorkshire and Surrey. Maybe since 2004 anyway!

I'd previously looked at a Durham/Surrey comparison.
I played some games in Durham well before it became a county & it’s local league was much better than those in London so no surprise that it’s producing good cricketers

mackembhoy

International Regular
I played some games in Durham well before it became a county & it’s local league was much better than those in London so no surprise that it’s producing good cricketers
Yes some posters on another forum have plenty of stories of days of facing overseas pros etc.

We've not done as well on the batsman front as we have the bowling front. Hopefully McKinney can step up next, England supposedly stepped in wanting us to play him more!