• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2024–25 Australian Domestic Season

Spark

Global Moderator
Too early I know, but after the first round of Shield do we already have the Aus A top 7 penciled in to play India A on 31 October?

1. Konstas
2. Harris
3. McSweeney (c)
4. Handscomb
5. Davies
6. Philippe (+)
7. Webster

(assuming Hardie and Inglis would likely be in the white ball squads vs Pakistan)

Hopefully Maddinson can get some runs next round and replace Harris or Handscomb
Renshaw will be picked for that team. I'm not saying he should be, but I can't see him missing given that he's been first cab off the rank for a few years now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too early I know, but after the first round of Shield do we already have the Aus A top 7 penciled in to play India A on 31 October?

1. Konstas
2. Harris
3. McSweeney (c)
4. Handscomb
5. Davies
6. Philippe (+)
7. Webster

(assuming Hardie and Inglis would likely be in the white ball squads vs Pakistan)

Hopefully Maddinson can get some runs next round and replace Harris or Handscomb
Looks a terrific side tbh. Presumably McAndrew at eight?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not bad first round for batsmen, 10 centuries scored
Not a bad start. Would've been nice to see Davies get some more runs though (and a non-Harris openers).

While it's nice to see some wickets to spin, lack of bounce is a bit annoying (though Junction and Cricket Central might be the slowest venues in the competition). Disappointed McClure went wicketless. I prefer to see the taller and/or quicker bowlers perform rather than trundlers like Bell.

TheJediBrah

I know Phillipe played for Aus A last year (inexplicably) and he's now a NSW lad, but surely he's not next cab off the rank for keepers? Jimmy Peirson hard done by if so

Qlder

International Debutant
I know Phillipe played for Aus A last year (inexplicably) and he's now a NSW lad, but surely he's not next cab off the rank for keepers? Jimmy Peirson hard done by if so
Unfortunately Peirson has missed his chance as he turns 32 on Sunday and a younger Inglis is already next in line. This means they rightly or wrongly go for Philippe who's 5 years younger

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Hartley's an interesting one. He was always an outstanding technical keeper and IIRC he averaged like 80 in his last Shield season, but then promptly retired right when a spot was opening up. Haddin was gone, Neville starting to struggle and the position was really up for grabs. He would have been the clear choice had he not called time IMO. It would have been not long after that they went with Tim Paine

social

Hartley's an interesting one. He was always an outstanding technical keeper and IIRC he averaged like 80 in his last Shield season, but then promptly retired right when a spot was opening up. Haddin was gone, Neville starting to struggle and the position was really up for grabs. He would have been the clear choice had he not called time IMO. It would have been not long after that they went with Tim Paine
Retired in his mid 30s so probably wasn’t going to get an opportunity

Spikey

chris hartley was literally the shield player of the season in 2009-2010 and then tim paine got a game in 2010 when haddin missed a tour

tim paine played 35 test matches because ricky pointing and co thought he was a good bloke and wouldn't ever shut up about him

and then he disgraced the nation

shame ponting never droned about how good a bloke hartley was

Last edited:

Spikey

tim played played 57 test innings and finished with 10 not outs
brad haddin played 112. 13 not outs. rod marsh played 150. 13 not outs.

and even in retirement tim paine remains king of the not outs

1728645186420.png

Qlder

International Debutant
Just read that Smith, Starc snd Abbott will be back vs the Vics at MCG on 20th October. It also said Cummins & Hazlewood will play the follow on one day cup game vs Vics on 25th

Assume Smith bats 3 instead of Gilkes with Starc & Abbott in for Hatcher & Sangha (unless Lyon takes a break after his 8 wkts)?

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Retired in his mid 30s so probably wasn’t going to get an opportunity
If he hadn't retired there's a very good chance would have been the Test keeper the very next season. Might not have been a long career but it's still an opportunity

Qlder

International Debutant
So funny that Beardman can't make the WA one-day Cup XI yet was reserve for the Aussie ODI squad...makes his selection even more weird

social

So funny that Beardman can't make the WA one-day Cup XI yet was reserve for the Aussie ODI squad...makes his selection even more weird
Mentioned before that a mate coached Bartlett and he tells me that they’re really worried about fast bowling stocks so expect more surprises

the big bambino

International Captain
Mentioned before that a mate coached Bartlett and he tells me that they’re really worried about fast bowling stocks so expect more surprises
That is so hilarious considering we have pace bowling options behind the test XI. Can't see that with the reserve batting.

social

That is so hilarious considering we have pace bowling options behind the test XI. Can't see that with the reserve batting.
The problem is keeping them fit

Richardson, Johnson, Morris, Bartlett and Green are all potential test options but are made of tissue paper

They obviously don’t really want to pick Neser and Boland is 35

social

Nothing to back this up but does anyone else get the feeling that the selectors have very little faith in Renshaw, Bancroft and Harris?

They’ll obviously have to pick someone but I get the feeling that it won’t be done with any great confidence