• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Pakistan are the first team in Test history to score over 500 first dig and lose by an innings. A new low for a struggling team.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Jack Leach 7/190
Shoaib Bashir - 1/156

I'd be very worried if i was Bashir , Leach might just take his spot for the NZ tour
It should be a no brainer really. Better bowler, fielder and bat.

The more immediate selection headache is what happens if Stokes is fit for the 2nd Test. I suspect he can't bowl the kind of overs Carse put in so he's really a batsman only. So therefore, the only spot he could conceivably take is Pope's!!

King Kane

International Debutant
Brook surely gets the Man of the Match award for his triple ton.

Root would be a bit stiff to miss out though, not often that a batsman would score 262 in a win and not get that award.

Johan

State 12th Man
This match makes me feel a little old, when I was younger, there used to be a pitch like this every month (2000s), today it's a single country thing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It should be a no brainer really. Better bowler, fielder and bat.

The more immediate selection headache is what happens if Stokes is fit for the 2nd Test. I suspect he can't bowl the kind of overs Carse put in so he's really a batsman only. So therefore, the only spot he could conceivably take is Pope's!!
I do wonder if they’d have stuck with Leach for the home summer if our visitors were India or Australia. As someone said above, you’d expect Leach to resume first choice duties in NZ, based on this test anyway

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This match makes me feel a little old, when I was younger, there used to be a pitch like this every month (2000s), today it's a single country thing.
I was thinking this, in my early years on this forum it felt like every other Test was on this sort of deck and you tuned out by about day 3.

Related, in that period it felt like every summer England would have one home Test, usually at Lord’s, where on a motorway we’d declare on the 4th evening after setting a target of 420, and the captains would shake hands at about 4 wickets down on 5pm on the Monday.

In reality it probably only happened once or twice, but.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Some day 1 posts will have aged terribly I imagine
I had a quick look and it's surprisingly not that bad. I think most realised it was a flat pitch and actually by the end of the day 328-4 wasn't a bad place for England. I even said this....

Can see England either capitulating when they come out to bat, or giving Pakistan that tricky 3rd innings to negotiate.
It's still a remarkable victory though.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Pakistan the first team to lose by an innings after scoring 500 or more.

Only 19 times has a team lost a test match after amassing 500 or more runs in any of their innings,Pakistan have lost 5 of these instances :

1. Pakistan (574/8d & 200) lost by 92 runs vs Australia (441/5d & 425), Melbourne, 1973
  2. Pakistan (538 & 155) lost by 168 runs vs England (515 & 345), Leeds, 2006
  3. Pakistan (504, DNB) vs England (173 & 298/4), The Oval, 2006 (Pakistan forfeited the test)
  4. Pakistan (579 & 268) lost by 74 runs vs England (657 & 264/7d), Rawalpindi, 2022
  5. Pakistan (556 & 220) lost by an innings and 47 runs vs England (823-7d), Multan 2024