• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So who is really the 2nd best modern opener?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
There were 18 matches that he played that were at the very least test level.

There's no one who watched them both play, in the same team mind you, that would say that Greenidge was ever the better batsman than Richards.
Tests, WSC, ROW matches etc etc.

My argument with regards to O'Reilly is that he's ranked at worst the 3rd greatest and best spinner of all time, one very celebrated poster, along with a few others, actually ranks him 1st. That's not based on tests alone, it's very much also based on his first class career.
Not to mention they both made the 2nd XI of what is without doubt the most recognized all time exercise along with Wisden's.

He was voted ahead of Greenidge, Hayden, Smith and Sehwag, and even if they would have been eligible, Boycott and Cook.

I don't understand the overall attitude of the forum when it comes to ignoring or erasing his legacy from the game. .
He played test cricket, he's eligible.
Do you really think WSC was "superior" to Tests?? I find that Really Really dumb. Anyways, Test matches were Test matches, and they weren't so.....

kyear2

International Coach
Do you really think WSC was "superior" to Tests?? I find that Really Really dumb. Anyways, Test matches were Test matches, and they weren't so.....
You recently started a thread a few weeks ago to select an All Time SA team. The opening vote was for the no. 1 opening batsman, middle order alpha and the two opening bolwers.

You opened the voting and voted for

Barry Richards
Jacques Kallis
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

He's eligible and good enough to be the no. 1 opening batsman for the 3rd best all time squad but not for this list of at best, great batsmen?

Barry btw finished the opening round of voting as the opening batsman, and only trailed Steyn and Donald among the first team guys in terms of votes.

Barry Richards was a better batsman than anyone in this exercise and everyone here knows it.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
You recently started a thread a few weeks ago to select an All Time SA team. The opening vote was for the no. 1 opening batsman, middle order alpha and the two opening bolwers.

You opened the voting and voted for

Barry Richards
Jacques Kallis
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

He's eligible and good enough to be the no. 1 opening batsman for the 3rd best all time squad but not for this list of at best, great batsmen?

Barry btw finished the opening round of voting as the opening batsman, and only trailed Steyn and Donald among the first team guys in terms of votes.

Barry Richards was a better batsman than anyone in this exercise and everyone here knows it.
Exactly. Barry is a better batsman, not a better Test Batsman. Can reference my stance in the vs Atherton thread for that. OP clearly stated Test performance takes the preference, hence 5 Test rule as that kinda is the bare bone minimum number to be judged on.

kyear2

International Coach
Yes, WSC for batsmen was more difficult than tests, at the very least it was on par with. Yes WSC means more than the scrub "tests" and the resulting stats that coincided with the WSC matches.

Don't think any of that is disputable, to question that is what is really dumb.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yes, WSC for batsmen was more difficult than tests, at the very least it was on par with. Yes WSC means more than the scrub "tests" and the resulting stats that coincided with the WSC matches.

Don't think any of that is disputable, to question that is what is really dumb.
Lol. Saying WSC was superior to Tests matches is like saying Australia vs RoW was the greatest match of all time. Tests are Tests, Peterhrt many times stated how there were many people questioning the validity of WSC, as all players played for a single guy.

kyear2

International Coach
Lol. Saying WSC was superior to Tests matches is like saying Australia vs RoW was the greatest match of all time. Tests are Tests, Peterhrt many times stated how there were many people questioning the validity of WSC, as all players played for a single guy.
This is where it gets silly now.

WSC had the first Australian, West Indian and English XI's, you rate the test performances against 2nd teams and at best first class cricketers as being more of a test than WSC?
It was seen as the pivotal step which professionalized cricket and it introduced protective equipment.

The thought that India vs the West Indies in '78 was in anyways comparable to the level of the WSC is not a serious one. The entire first team was in Australia.

And since you referenced him re @peterhrt , he easily rates Barry as the best opener he's seen and among his top 3 highest rated batsmen he's watched. Richards, Tendulkar, Richards.

And playing for a single guys didn't diminish how hard they played, as they were also playing for their living at the time. It's the reason I rate Chappell along with, if not higher than guys like Sunny, Ponting, Hammond and Kallis.

kyear2

International Coach
Exactly. Barry is a better batsman, not a better Test Batsman. Can reference my stance in the vs Atherton thread for that. OP clearly stated Test performance takes the preference, hence 5 Test rule as that kinda is the bare bone minimum number to be judged on.
The all time SA team was also their test XI, but nice try