• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara vs Steve Waugh

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Sobers
Hutton
Lara
Richards
Smith
Gavaskar
Hammond
Sutcliffe
Ponting
Kallis
Chappell
Border
Waugh
Barrington
Dravid

Those are the players I could see an argument for as better than Sanga but there’s still 2 spots left for a top 20. Maybe some pre 1970 players like Weekes and Walcott could be added.

Last edited:

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Headley, Pollock.
In the future, Root.

I think Sanga is borderline top 20 at the moment.
Very small sample size with Pollock and Headley so I don’t rate them as high as others.

We will see at the end of Roots career if he’s at that level. If has a bad decline, then he could end up averaging 47/48 like Kohli.

Last edited:

Thala_0710

U19 Debutant
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Sobers
Hutton
Lara
Richards
Smith
Gavaskar
Hammond
Sutcliffe
Ponting
Kallis
Chappell
Border
Waugh
Barrington
Dravid

Those are the players I could see an argument for as better than Sanga but there’s still 2 spots left for a top 20. Maybe some pre 1970 players like Weekes and Walcott could be added.
I would add Headley and Root to that

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
He averaged 35 in India earlier this year and the series in Australia will be much tougher. It’s not impossible he does well but it’s very unlikely.

Johan

State 12th Man
He averaged 35 in India earlier this year and the series in Australia will be much tougher. It’s not impossible he does well but it’s very unlikely.
he played as an all rounder in India and clearly overbowled in the first few tests, he won't bowl much in Australia so the contexts should be completely different, not sure if he'll be successful though but sure do hope so.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
he played as an all rounder in India and clearly overbowled in the first few tests, he won't bowl much in Australia so the contexts should be completely different, not sure if he'll be successful though but sure do hope so.
I will say though, except one century he looked genuinely woeful in India and if anything, I think 35 average is quite high. That reverse scoop of Bumrah is the most brainrot way I have seen any major batsman loss their wicket......

Johan

State 12th Man
I will say though, except one century he looked genuinely woeful in India and if anything, I think 35 average is quite high. That reverse scoop of Bumrah is the most brainrot way I have seen any major batsman loss their wicket......
ngl that reverse sweep shot seems to have put him on factory reset, he did well in the next two tests with 243 runs @81, in the first three tests where he was bowling a bunch (107 overs) he made 77 runs with average of 12.