• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So who is really the 2nd best modern opener?

Qlder

International Debutant
Note: Qualifications include a 5 test minimum and to have played as an opener their whole career
What happens if one of these openers played a whole home summer doing quite well as the #3 😉

7 Tests, 12 inn, 1 no, 578 runs @ 52.54, hs 127, 2 hundreds, 2 fifties

kyear2

International Coach
Make your own thread to dickride him then.

Perhaps the title of the thread is misleading.

These 6 have been getting discussed and compared a lot, with lots of varying results. So instead of a single vote poll I’ve asked people to vote them in order.

Its nothing to do with Richards.
If you create an arbitrary and transparent cut off mark to exclude a single player you don't think is worthy is silly.

At most myself and two other persons were going to vote for him. There was no need for the stipulation.

And yes, by the letter of the title of the thread, he's a top two modern opener, decent argument for first.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
If you create an arbitrary and transparent cut off mark to exclude a single player you don't think is worthy is silly.

At most myself and two other persons were going to vote for him. There was no need for the stipulation.

And yes, by the letter of the title of the thread, he's a top two modern opener, decent argument for first.
Lol. Every criteria is arbitrary. A 5 Test cutoff is anything but unfair really, if the OP thinks 5 Tests are bare minimum for a player to play to be rated.

kyear2

International Coach
OP is pretty simple, rate the 6 openers he quoted in order. If you don't want to do that then ignore thread instead if imposing your own beliefs on others. Richards is not part of this thread no matter how much you want him to be

Note: OP didn't need to state a criteria at all, should have just said list the 6 in order
The name of the thread belies the intent, and no one ever considers Cook as a viable option for that title.

Barry Richards held the title of best batsman in the world from 1970 to 1975, and even when WSC rolled around he was an automatic to be chosen.

The OP himself collated all the test, and test level matches BA Richards played in, around 18 of them, he also maintained his consistency for about two decades.

It's almost a consensus on the thread that the 3rd greatest spinners ever is Bill O'Reilly, whom played a total of 27 tests. A lot of that rating is based on what he did in first class cricket.

And no, I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone, I'm stating my opinion, which everyone on the thread is allowed to do.

The cutoff was uncalled for and transparent.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The name of the thread belies the intent, and no one ever considers Cook as a viable option for that title.

Barry Richards held the title of best batsman in the world from 1970 to 1975, and even when WSC rolled around he was an automatic to be chosen.

The OP himself collated all the test, and test level matches BA Richards played in, around 18 of them, he also maintained his consistency for about two decades.

It's almost a consensus on the thread that the 3rd greatest spinners ever is Bill O'Reilly, whom played a total of 27 tests. A lot of that rating is based on what he did in first class cricket.

And no, I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone, I'm stating my opinion, which everyone on the thread is allowed to do.

The cutoff was uncalled for and transparent.
27 is 6.75 times more than 4. The ratio is the almost the Same between Anderson and O'Reilly.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
27 tests may not seem like much but for the era interrupted by war, it's a reasonable sample. It's also spread across a 7 year period in 6 different series.

Barry Richards basically didn't have a test career in an era where most greats played 80+ tests. Not comparable whatsoever.

Coronis

International Coach
Like I said, make your own thread if you want to talk about him, it isn’t about him. Sorry for the misleading title that you so gosh darn riled up.

kyear2

International Coach
27 tests may not seem like much but for the era interrupted by war, it's a reasonable sample. It's also spread across a 7 year period in 6 different series.

Barry Richards basically didn't have a test career in an era where most greats played 80+ tests. Not comparable whatsoever.
There were 18 matches that he played that were at the very least test level.

There's no one who watched them both play, in the same team mind you, that would say that Greenidge was ever the better batsman than Richards.
Tests, WSC, ROW matches etc etc.

My argument with regards to O'Reilly is that he's ranked at worst the 3rd greatest and best spinner of all time, one very celebrated poster, along with a few others, actually ranks him 1st. That's not based on tests alone, it's very much also based on his first class career.
Not to mention they both made the 2nd XI of what is without doubt the most recognized all time exercise along with Wisden's.

He was voted ahead of Greenidge, Hayden, Smith and Sehwag, and even if they would have been eligible, Boycott and Cook.

I don't understand the overall attitude of the forum when it comes to ignoring or erasing his legacy from the game. .
He played test cricket, he's eligible.