• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So who is really the 2nd best modern opener?

Coronis

International Coach
So there’s been a lot of chat on some of the openers recently, specifically some of the modern ones. So I’m curious to see what the actual CW consensus is. Many of the individual polls seem to give vastly differing results.

So, I thought a good idea would be to place the 6 chosen contenders in a 1-6 order, and points will be awarded accordingly.

Note: Qualifications include a 5 test minimum and to have played as an opener their whole career

So the players (chronologically)

Geoffrey Boycott
Gordon Greenidge
Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Alastair Cook

shortpitched713

International Captain
Every person other than myself has placed Boycott over Hayden.

Interesting to say the least, as my impression was always that the point of batsmen was to score runs...

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
So there’s been a lot of chat on some of the openers recently, specifically some of the modern ones. So I’m curious to see what the actual CW consensus is. Many of the individual polls seem to give vastly differing results.

So, I thought a good idea would be to place the 6 chosen contenders in a 1-6 order, and points will be awarded accordingly.

Note: Qualifications include a 5 test minimum and to have played as an opener their whole career

So the players (chronologically)

Geoffrey Boycott
Gordon Greenidge
Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Alastair Cook
Specifically ranking the six players mentioned in your introduction? If so

Boycott
Greenidge
Hayden
Smith