• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson not in league of other elite test batters

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
It is a lot more likely he ends up averaging high 40s than averaging low 50s imo. I guess there is a small chance he ends up as Englands first bat to average 50 since the 1950s.

Coronis

International Coach
It is a lot more likely he ends up averaging high 40s than averaging low 50s imo. I guess there is a small chance he ends up as Englands first bat to average 50 since the 1950s.
60’s technically.

But yeah that’s a crazy stat.

Last batsman for each country to finish with an average of 50+ (min 20 innings)

New Zealand/Bangladesh (never)
England - Barrington (1968) (8 total)
Zimbabwe - Flower (2002) (1 total)
India - Tendulkar (2013) (4 total)
West Indies - Chanderpaul (2015) (8 total)
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara (2015) (1 total)
Australia - Voges (2016) (9 total)
Pakistan - Younis (2017) (4 total)
South Africa - de Villiers (2018) (4 total)

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
60’s technically.

Why do you think they haven’t produced any since? I would have expected them to have more than all the nations other than Aus.

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
Why do you think they haven’t produced any since? I would have expected them to have more than all the nations other than Aus.
A combination of lesser overall talent/increasing talent from other nations, test spam and tougher home conditions than most.

At the point of Barrington’s retirement though, England had all 8, Australia only had 2!, Windies had 3, SA had 1 (very soon to be 2) and no other country had any.

I’m at a loss to (seriously) explain why SA has produced better batsmen than them since. Even their closest one since (Pietersen) was born in SA.

Maybe them winning the FIFA world cup in 1966 made soccer cooler than cricket.

Slifer

International Captain
60’s technically.

WI have 8? Viv, Lara, Sobers, Headley, Shiv, Weekes, Walcott and who else??

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
A combination of lesser overall talent/increasing talent from other nations, test spam and tougher home conditions than most.

At the point of Barrington’s retirement though, England had all 8, Australia only had 2!, Windies had 3, SA had 1 (very soon to be 2) and no other country had any.

I’m at a loss to (seriously) explain why SA has produced better batsmen than them since. Even their closest one since (Pietersen) was born in SA.

Maybe them winning the FIFA world cup in 1966 made soccer cooler than cricket.
I don’t think England have produced a bowler averaging under 24 since the 1950/60s either. It’s quite shocking.

Johan

State 12th Man
I don’t think England have produced a bowler averaging under 24 since the 1950/60s either. It’s quite shocking.
We train our bowlers to bowl 80mph swing bowling on green tops and that works in England.

once they go outside England they get murdered mostly, like Jimmy for the first 40-50 of his tests for example

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
We train our bowlers to bowl 80mph swing bowling on green tops and that works in England.

once they go outside England they get murdered mostly, like Jimmy for the first 40-50 of his tests for example
Yea but not even one bonafide ATG batsmen/bowler in 60 years must be something deeper than just conditions.

Hopefully Harry Brook can achieve his potential and change this though.

Last edited:

Johan

State 12th Man
@Majestic Chris Gayle vs Kane Williamson, whose the better batsmen?

Chris Gayle in Eng/Aus/SA/Sl/Ind

Matches – 32
Innings – 60
Runs – 2392
Highest – 333
Average – 41.24
Half Centuries – 9
Centuries – 6

Kane Williamson in Eng/Aus/SA/SL/Ind

Matches – 33
Innings – 63
Runs – 1970
Highest – 166
Average – 32.83
Half Centuries – 8
Centuries – 5

Gayle solos no?

Coronis

International Coach
@Majestic Chris Gayle vs Kane Williamson, whose the better batsmen?

Chris Gayle in Eng/Aus/SA/Sl/Ind

Matches – 32
Innings – 60
Runs – 2392
Highest – 333
Average – 41.24
Half Centuries – 9
Centuries – 6

Kane Williamson in Eng/Aus/SA/SL/Ind

Matches – 33
Innings – 63
Runs – 1970
Highest – 166
Average – 32.83
Half Centuries – 8
Centuries – 5

Gayle solos no?
Ah yes the Indian attacks Gayle and Williamson faced are quite comparable.

Slifer

International Captain
Ah yes the Indian attacks Gayle and Williamson faced are quite comparable.
Gayle is in no way shape or form comparable to Kane but ignoring India, he did face good attacks away to all of the above: Aus, SL, RSA and Eng. For example, his first series in Australia came vs McWarne, Lee and Macgill. He famously struggled away to SL when they had Vaas and Murali. He scored 400 runs @ 50 away to England in '04 vs Harmisson, Hoggard, Flintoff and Jones. He faced Steyn and Ntini in 07 and did ok. Even his last series in India (where he failed) he faced Shami, Ashwin and Kumar. Gayle did decently away for an opener. Again he's not remotely in Kane's league.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Gayle is in no way shape or form comparable to Kane but ignoring India, he did face good attacks away to all of the above: Aus, SL, RSA and Eng. For example, his first series in Australia came vs McWarne, Lee and Macgill. He famously struggled away to SL when they had Vaas and Murali. He scored 400 runs @ 50 away to England in '04 vs Harmisson, Hoggard, Flintoff and Jones. He faced Steyn and Ntini in 07 and did ok. Even his last series in India (where he failed) he faced Shami, Ashwin and Kumar. Gayle did decently away for an opener. Again he's not remotely in Kane's league.
I reckon batting away from home is harder in this era. Only smith from this era averages 50+ away and Kohli and Root will probably will end with away averages in the low 40s. (Or maybe batsmen are just much worse today? Idk)

Slifer

International Captain
I reckon batting away from home is harder in this era. Only smith from this era averages 50+ away and Kohli and Root will probably will end with away averages in the low 40s. (Or maybe batsmen are just much worse today? Idk)
Well yeah, batting away now is probably harder and wickets then, were generally flatter. And teams like India, Australia and RSA are pretty formidable at home bowling wise.