• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Assuming the top order remains the same with that team I’d probably bump Sobers to 5 and put Gilly in at 6th. Imran being not that aggressive of a batsman I think you’d want Gilly. But yeah either way you get a keeper who kept to either Warne or Murali.
Yeah, that's also fair. I would prefer Sangakkara as he was the better batsman, though Gilly was better while keeping.

Thala_0710

U19 12th Man
ATGs for me (keeping 2 ppl for each position approximately)

Openers:
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Hutton, Sutcliffe

Middle Order:
Bradman, Tendulkar, Lara, Richards, Smith, Hammond

All Rounders:
Sobers, Imran, Kallis, Miller

Keepers:
Gilchrist, Knott

Fast Bowlers
Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee, Steyn, Ambrose, Akram, Lillee, Donald

Spin Bowlers:
Murali, Warne

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don't have two spinners. I said "if" I had 2 spinners.

Hobbs
Grace
Bradman*
Tendulkar
Sangakkara+
Sobers
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Murali

And comeon now, I rate Ponting fairly high. Just think placing him in a separate tier to someone like Waugh, Dravid, Sangakkara or heck Kallis, is mental.
Sanga averaged 40 as a keeper. Also did he ever bat 5?

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Compared to Morris or Anwar? Yes, very much a HTB.
I don't think so. He has one bad country. Morris and Anwar both lack volume. That isn't Lawry's greatest asset either, but Morris averaged 37 after the first 3 years. Lawry was very good on his first tour of England v Trueman and Statham. Morris' decline coincided with England's recovery from the War.

Coronis

International Coach
I don't think so. He has one bad country. Morris and Anwar both lack volume. That isn't Lawry's greatest asset either, but Morris averaged 37 after the first 3 years. Lawry was very good on his first tour of England v Trueman and Statham. Morris' decline coincided with England's recovery from the War.
lol. They may lack volume, but they don’t lack output.

Lawry 69 innings (8 not outs) 2416 runs @ 39.60
Anwar 49 innings (1 not out) 2192 runs @ 45.67
Morris 33 innings (1 not out) 1721 runs @ 53.78

Hell, his already far lower away stats are heavily propped up by his not outs.

If 56/40 doesn’t make you a HTB then I guess we can all stop worrying about KW’s away record.

And Warner is clearly the goat modern opener.

I’m sure you’ll try and claim his record is good in the Windies too.

capt_Luffy

International Captain

If 56/40 doesn’t make you a HTB then I guess we can all stop worrying about KW’s away record.

Morris has much much worse home record and played in a much more bowling friendly era.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain

I’m sure you’ll try and claim his record is good in the Windies too.
Someone who only has one bad country isn't a home bully. There is more nuance in cricket than every batsman either having either terrific away records or being home bullies. Lawry isn't outstanding overseas but he isn't a home bully.

Less sure about Anwar, but Lawry is likely better than someone who averaged 34 after his first 19 tests that were impacted by England's immediate post-war situation.