• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA20 2025

Stefan9

International Debutant
Why do South African fans enjoy this btw?

You've signed your game over to the IPl overlords.

Already impacted your Test team and now your ODI team is going down the drain too cos your best players are busy playing another IPL dominated league.
The test and ODI teams were struggling long before SA20.

Blaming the IPL overlords shows lack of knowledge regarding CSA management incompetence over the last decade.

Before the SA20 we would loss tons of players even first class players to other countries cause cricket wasn't a viable career if you aren't an international. Now if you can manage a SA20 contact you can have a career in first class cricket in SA.

mackembhoy

International Regular
The test and ODI teams were struggling long before SA20.

Blaming the IPL overlords shows lack of knowledge regarding CSA management incompetence over the last decade.

Before the SA20 we would loss tons of players even first class players to other countries cause cricket wasn't a viable career if you aren't an international. Now if you can manage a SA20 contact you can have a career in first class cricket in SA.
I'm aware that you've lost people like Abbott and Harmer to County Cricket over earning potential.

Not to mention many others over the years, however you were a stronger side back for many previous examples

But as far I know you haven't sent a third choice Test team on a tour like you did in NZ. The only reason for that was the SA20.

Now if you'd sent your first XI you may well have had a chance of winning the series.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I'm aware that you've lost people like Abbott and Harmer to County Cricket over earning potential.

Not to mention many others over the years, however you were a stronger side back for many previous examples

But as far I know you haven't sent a third choice Test team on a tour like you did in NZ. The only reason for that was the SA20.

Now if you'd sent your first XI you may well have had a chance of winning the series.
Even casual fans hated that, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if it never happens again,which I don't think it will.

Also, your point about SA being a stronger side previously also applies to the context of when the IPL and T20 leagues became a thing. Before the established internationals got a T20 gig when the leagues started. Now guys like Stubbs and Brevis are making millions before they became Protea regulars. If the SA20 allows them to make that cash and still be available for SA I'll take it, and so will many other fans. You can't view the career choices of non big 3 players the same as the big 3.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Even casual fans hated that, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if it never happens again,which I don't think it will.

Also, your point about SA being a stronger side previously also applies to the context of when the IPL and T20 leagues became a thing. Before the established internationals got a T20 gig when the leagues started. Now guys like Stubbs and Brevis are making millions before they became Protea regulars. If the SA20 allows them to make that cash and still be available for SA I'll take it, and so will many other fans. You can't view the career choices of non big 3 players the same as the big 3.
I don't blame any player chasing T20 money.

I guess I'm just sad the IPL is going to takeover cricket and ultimately destroy it as we know it.

Delhi Daredevils have purchased Hampshire. If South Africa cricket is somewhat already controlled by the IPL. It won't be long before English cricket is too.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I don't blame any player chasing T20 money.

I guess I'm just sad the IPL is going to takeover cricket and ultimately destroy it as we know it.

Delhi Daredevils have purchased Hampshire. If South Africa cricket is somewhat already controlled by the IPL. It won't be long before English cricket is too.
Game has changed hasn't it? Us true cricket fans still love a good old Test, but I've accepted that they will be rare moving forward. My hope is that the young guys who come up in this IPL age still want to play Tests and so far guys like Stubbs, Jansen, Coetzee, de Zorzi, Rickelton, Mulder and Verreynne have shown they want to play the long form as well. I'd be getting concerned when a 20 year old says he isn't interested in FC games. It might come, but I think the allure of being a Test great still catches most players.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rookies

Not sure if JP and CJ King are brothers or cousins.
St Johns College in Joburg to Pukke to debuting for NW to Robbie P taking them to the Warriors. Both tall lads. JP is a great athlete who hits down the ground well and bowls handy off-spin whilst CJ is a tall seamer who gets to work with Klusener and Donald. The latter played for NW and Gordon Parsons took him to Limpopo last season where they were Div 2 T20 Champs for a small team. So that's quite a bit of people seeing something in him. Both didn't play for SA U19s either and both shone in the first game of the season for the Warriors.

Marais and Luus played SA U19s earlier this year with Pretorius, Stolk and Maphaka.

Marais is a powerful and devastating middle order batsman but it's been a while since I've seen such an excellent young fielder.

Luus has good pace and should get quicker as he gets stronger. SA A selection probably indicates what the thoughts are re: him. Can smash the ball at the back end too.

Probably the format that Daniel Smith needs most work in but he is a potential future Protea. A run-machine. Opens or bats top 4 and can keep wicket. Loves to get the sweeps and reverse sweeps out.

Keagan Lion-Cachet. Odd surname? A guy who debuted for Sussex and Netherlands this season has the same. A wk middle order finisher who is playing for Pretoria Uni Tuks. This move could open doors for him to start playing professionally.

Last edited: