• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advancement in bat technology

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Is anyone aware of any comparison studies that have been done between bats of different eras in terms of actual power?

Coronis

International Coach
Is anyone aware of any comparison studies that have been done between bats of different eras in terms of actual power?
I haven’t ever seen an indepth study no. I just know that the thickness has changed (iirc didn’t they have to set new laws re:bat thickness) and sweet spots have gotten much larger in the past decades. iirc these greatly increased power whilst retaining or reducing the weight.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Even with all the fielders on the boundary, the batters are still able to pierce them to hit fours with ease due to the immense power generated by current bats. 4s and 6s have lost their value. It's too easy, no matter the format of cricket.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven’t ever seen an indepth study no. I just know that the thickness has changed (iirc didn’t they have to set new laws re:bat thickness) and sweet spots have gotten much larger in the past decades.
Reckon this is the biggest difference. Back in the day you had to hit the ball perfectly in the middle to go the distance. These days nearly the whole bat is middle and mis-hit 6s are common

Kirkut

International Regular
Even with all the fielders on the boundary, the batters are still able to pierce them to hit fours with ease due to the immense power generated by current bats. 4s and 6s have lost their value. It's too easy, no matter the format of cricket.
Reckon this is the biggest difference. Back in the day you had to hit the ball perfectly in the middle to go the distance. These days nearly the whole bat is middle and mis-hit 6s are common

In fact, I am not sure if you have observed this or not, but huge clean sixes have become a thing of past in cricket these days.

The most recent example of proper clean hits can be traced to Fakhar Zaman's sixes against Starc in T20 World Cup semis.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only study you’ll need

Bat on the left is an 80s Jumbo weighing 2’12”

Bat on the right is a current SS weighing 2’9”

AFAIK the wood in present day bats is dried whereas they were previously natural plus oiled before use

Removing the moisture results in a dramatic weight loss from the willow which, in effect, allows you to use a much bigger piece of wood for the same weight bat

IMG_2319.jpeg

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, because techniques have worsened :ph34r:
Its a moot point coz I feel players just prepare for the challenges they are presented with, nothing more and nothing less. They are not trying to prepare for some hypothetical scenario of going into a time-warp and playing with their current skillsets suddenly in the 80s or 90s. But I do think there has been some swing towards the batting side thanks to the LO formats and the only thing bringing it back to even keel is the bowling friendly pitches you get in most places around the world from circa 2016.

the big bambino

International Captain
Given this, shouldn't this generation of bowlers get an uptick just for that, in comparison to the older guys, even the 80s and 90s bowlers ?
I don’t think so as batting and bowling SRs have improved. Modern bats allow the modern batsman to be more aggressive. More risk faster scoring and less intervals between wickets. In earlier eras batsmen were slower and more patient waiting for the bad ball. Modern batsmen take the initiative.

It seems the measure of batting/bowling averages have been fairly constant over the eras so the bowlers have received some redress for the bigger bats and smaller boundaries. Plus fielding continues to improve.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given this, shouldn't this generation of bowlers get an uptick just for that, in comparison to the older guys, even the 80s and 90s bowlers ?
I guess but the bats are only 1 factor in a very rich tapestry of changes in the game

I would in say in white ball cricket it is a huge factor and it should absolutely get considered when judging modern bowlers (and batsmen) compared to older ones

social

Yeah, I think that there’s arguments for both sides

In my experience, the bats are a lot better today (basically the equivalent of wooden racquet v a 2024 model)

However, the middle is still the middle and the biggest difference is from shots not hit sweetly

Also techniques are generally worse & some take far more risks

However, fielding is infinitely better so more catches are taken & runs saved plus use of technology means that there’s no such thing as a mystery bowler anymore

Starfighter

Only study you’ll need

Bat on the left is an 80s Jumbo weighing 2’12”
Bat on the right is a current SS weighing 2’9”
AFAIK the wood in present day bats is dried whereas they were previously natural plus oiled before use
Removing the moisture results in a dramatic weight loss from the willow which, in effect, allows you to use a much bigger piece of wood for the same weight bat
The other thing is I believe modern bats are pressed much more lightly that older ones. I do think that the older bats were dried somewhat - though my source of this information is that Aubrey Faulker committed suicide in what he called the bat drying room of his cricket school. But obviously not the same extent they are now, where they are presumably kiln dried. Both these factors would account for the alleged lack of durability modern bats have compared to older ones.

I doubt the oil would make much of a difference compared to the modern plastic coatings, if not overdone.

social

The other thing is I believe modern bats are pressed much more lightly that older ones. I do think that the older bats were dried somewhat - though my source of this information is that Aubrey Faulker committed suicide in what he called the bat drying room of his cricket school. But obviously not the same extent they are now, where they are presumably kiln dried. Both these factors would account for the alleged lack of durability modern bats have compared to older ones.

I doubt the oil would make much of a difference compared to the modern plastic coatings, if not overdone.
I think that the durability argument is a myth

That Jumbo is still around today because it was too heavy so I didn’t play with it much

Its face was also covered with fibreglass tape 40 years ago

Hit enough balls & they all break

I used to get 3 bats per year and treated them like babies but they rarely lasted more than a season

Coronis

International Coach
I read an article by Greg Chappell about bats that was very interesting.

Its behind a paywall now so here’s to internet archive.

Another decent article on the subject.

social

I read an article by Greg Chappell about bats that was very interesting.

Its behind a paywall now so here’s to internet archive.

Another decent article on the subject.

Greg Chappell used a very heavy bat & 2’3” was never a thing either so take that article for what it’s worth

A light bat in the 80s was 2’6” or so

Coronis

International Coach
I remember Waugh tested bats in a mid innings show or something

There we go

Ahhh I remember this. Very good visual representation. The differences in the last 20 years to previously are frankly astounding. Also a big part of the 00’s runfests.

social

Ahhh I remember this. Very good visual representation. The differences in the last 20 years to previously are frankly astounding. Also a big part of the 00’s runfests.
You also need to factor in the introduction of boundary ropes which have reduced the playing areas a lot in some cases