• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravindra Jadeja vs Ian Botham

Who is the greater test cricketer?

• Total voters

Johan

State 12th Man
Botham's stats fell off the cliff when he turned into the classic fat miserable uncle after 85, but he was definitely better than Jadeja by a margin.

ma1978

International Debutant
Better overseas record and balanced split of home/away games. Jadeja's record is inflated by barely playing in SENA and the drs factor.
Botham was a disaster in the West Indies. Beat up on a minnow level India which inflated his numbers.

SENA are just some arbitrary countries, no more or less important than anywhere else.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Botham averaged 29 with the bat if you take out his India runs, bit of a skewed record tstl. Still voted him because his peak had obscene impact where he performed with bat and ball simultaneously on a regular basis .

ma1978

International Debutant
Botham averaged 29 with the bat if you take out his India runs, bit of a skewed record tstl. Still voted him because his peak had obscene impact where he performed with bat and ball simultaneously on a regular basis .
agreed I voted for Botham for that ridiculous peak but Jadeja’s peak is looking pretty startling as well. Never a cricketer I particularly rated but he’s impossible to ignore.

Coronis

International Coach
Is there a reason this should matter?
Would depend on the parameters I guess.

If someone was specifically asking who was the best allrounder I’d take performing simulataneously as a big part of it, vs who was the better player.

Bolo.

International Captain
Would depend on the parameters I guess.

If someone was specifically asking who was the best allrounder I’d take performing simulataneously as a big part of it, vs who was the better player.
Are you any less rounded if your performances come in different matches?

Although maybe you guys mean simultaneously in the sense of not having a career llik Wilfred Rhodes. This I can understand.

capt_Luffy

International Captain

Although maybe you guys mean simultaneously in the sense of not having a career llik Wilfred Rhodes. This I can understand.
Rhodes is kinda an extreme, one of a kind case though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Wilfred Rhodes is not that much of an unicorn though. In the 80s and 90s, I think Ravi Shastri and Imran Khan had similar careers. Kallis hardly bowled towards the last few years of his career. Vettori was practically a batsman towards the last few years of his career. I just think your batting prime lasts a tad bit longer than your bowling prime and a lot of these guys who start off as bowling allrounders or even bowlers who can bat, end up playing more as batting allrounders or even proper batsmen.

PS - I know Kallis was always a batting allrounder.

Bolo.

International Captain
Wilfred Rhodes is not that much of an unicorn though. In the 80s and 90s, I think Ravi Shastri and Imran Khan had similar careers. Kallis hardly bowled towards the last few years of his career. Vettori was practically a batsman towards the last few years of his career. I just think your batting prime lasts a tad bit longer than your bowling prime and a lot of these guys who start off as bowling allrounders or even bowlers who can bat, end up playing more as batting allrounders or even proper batsmen.

PS - I know Kallis was always a batting allrounder.
Ya, I don't mean that an example needs to be as extreme as Rhodes, but I can understand wanting peaks to intersect.

Coronis

International Coach

I mean idk in my head it just makes sense for “the best allrounder” to be someone who performed with both bat and ball at the same time, ideally in the same matches.

But that wouldn’t necessarily make them the better player than someone who didn’t do both at the exact same time.

If that makes sense.