• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is bigger - The Ashes or BGT?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also ironic considering the only Tests England generally managed to win on those 90s/early00s series tended to be dead rubbers

Is there even a (real) stat that shows a higher percentage of Australia's wins are dead rubbers compared to England's?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Even though Pakistan is quite weak comparatively now and India was weak earlier in the 90s, Indians and Pakistanis always held a India-Pak test series win above everything else. I think its the same here.

Burgey

I just realised England have won only one Ashes series in Australia since 1986/87. The 2010/11 series really was an anomaly in the last 38 years wasn't it lol
Keep in mind the 86/87 Aus side was severely weakened by Rebel tours. England also won the WSC-weakened Ashes in 78/79 too, then refused to play an Ashes series in 79/80 when they got dicked by a full strength Aus side.

So they've beaten a full strength Australian side here once since 1971.

Even I can't remember that series.

No wonder they crow so much about 2010/11.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Keep in mind the 86/87 Aus side was severely weakened by Rebel tours. England also won the WSC-weakened Ashes in 78/79 too, then refused to play an Ashes series in 79/80 when they got dicked by a full strength Aus side.

So they've beaten a full strength Australian side here once since 1971.

Even I can't remember that series.

No wonder they crow so much about 2010/11.
Well on that score we should discount all the series in the 90's as England had a severely weakened side.......I mean no excuses, just a severely weak side!!

Burgey

OS, why do you say that? Is it because India has a better record in that format or is it some other reason?

Apologies to everyone else for allowing the irrelevancy of India-Pakistan contests to infest this thread, but I got carried away fro a moment.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
OS, why do you say that? Is it because India has a better record in that format or is it some other reason?

Apologies to everyone else for allowing the irrelevancy of India-Pakistan contests to infest this thread, but I got carried away fro a moment.
A lot of memorable moments have happened in Ind-Pak WC matches than tests like Prasad-Sohail, Miandad-Mongia, Sachin and Sehwag assault on famed Pak bowling line-up etc.

OverratedSanity

India Pakistan tests for whatever reasons have been plagued by poor pitches making for many boring series. There's the odd gem of an atg test like Chennai 1999 or karachi 2006 that shines through when the pitches have allowed it. WC games between the two countries have a much more big game feel when they happen. Obviously The Streak adds to it too.

That being said, if they did announce another Ind-Pak test series now I'd be beyond excited.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
its cute to see aussies hold on tighter to the ashes because they can't win against us and haven't for 10 years now :blow:
Australia were probably two good sessions away from winning their last two away BG trophies tbh. Shouldn't be an excuse of any kind but still, given the kind of trouncings every other team received in India over the last 10 years or so, Australia have performed admirably well over there

Shri

Mr. Glass
Australia were probably two good sessions away from winning their last two away BG trophies tbh. Shouldn't be an excuse of any kind but still, given the kind of trouncings every other team received in India over the last 10 years or so, Australia have performed admirably well over there
ok