• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is bigger - The Ashes or BGT?

Aritro

International Regular
The Ashes is bigger here and probably more meaningful for cricket fans almost everywhere. Whether it should be is a different discussion.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
As trophies go, they both look like crap but at least the Ashes is quaint enough with centuries of feeling behind it. All trophies look like post-modernist crap these days generally except this magnificent work of art. Half expect to see Indy Jones or some crusader standing next to it.

ipl trophy.jpg

Very much the same in England, which in a way I think is a bit of a shame as India is a great challenge (albeit they haven’t always proven as much in England). I suppose that ginormous Ashes win in 2010/11 was still fresh in the memory, but I don’t think England going to India and winning in 2012 gets spoken about enough, it’s the last time India have lost a series at home, which is a quite bonkers stat!

Slifer

International Captain
It's always going to be the Ashes. No matter what team is the best in the business and competing strongly with either one of Australia or England the Ashes will probably always mean the most to either country.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashes and it ain't close.

If you offered an Australian one or the other, they'd take an Ashes series win. If they had 3 or 4, I have no doubt they'd swap one for a series win in India, but not if you only offered them one or the other.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ashes and it ain't close.

If you offered an Australian one or the other, they'd take an Ashes series win. If they had 3 or 4, I have no doubt they'd swap one for a series win in India, but not if you only offered them one or the other.
Why tho? They could win the home-leg of the Ashes if they subbed out their regulars for kids from the local blind school. They haven't won a series v India since god knows when.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why tho? They could win the home-leg of the Ashes if they subbed out their regulars for kids from the local blind school. They haven't won a series v India since god knows when.
Doesn't matter. The die hard cricket fans have interest in BGT but for the vast majority of Australians who have even a passing interest in cricket (which is already a minority) the Ashes is all that matters. These people don't like cricket, they like the Ashes and the tradition behind it.

And the Big Bash for some reason but the less said about that the better

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ah so basically the same reason why the Wellington Stadium got 4 men and a dog in for the All Blacks' game against Argentina, but sold out weeks ago for the Bledisloe Cup.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see so many closet Australian supporters outing themselves by buying into the discussion here.