• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumble vs Lyon

Better Spinner

• Total voters

Johan

State 12th Man
not too much here, Kumble has 619 wickets@29.6 and Lyon has 530 wickets@30.3, better to do this when Lyon hangs his boots.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
On par I reckon. Both workmanlike bowlers who've had major successes, though it feels like Lyon's not turned up when expected on more occasions than Kumble. Probably recency bias though.

shortpitched713

International Captain
not too much here, Kumble has 619 wickets@29.6 and Lyon has 530 wickets@30.3, better to do this when Lyon hangs his boots.
I will say those summary stats are incredibly misleading and devoid of context. I'd like to see WPM, and the averages during the eras in question which will give more of a lead to Kumble, imho.

Johan

State 12th Man
I will say those summary stats are incredibly misleading and devoid of context. I'd like to see WPM, and the averages during the eras in question which will give more of a lead to Kumble, imho.
WPM
Kumble: 4.68
Lyon: 4.10

aggregate figures for spinners during Kumble's career (1990-2008) – 35.49 avg, 76.6sr
aggregate figures for spinners during Lyon's career (2011-2024) – 33.95 avg, 65.5 sr

so Kumble does have advantage there but Lyon has his own advantages, much tougher home conditions for spinners for one

Majestic

U19 Captain
Same level, think Ashwin is above both now as bowler only but yeah not much difference which means Ashwin's bowling average is misleading.