• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank in order as batsmen: Chappell vs Gavaskar vs Richards vs Kallis vs Lara

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Technically correct. Just don't look up Hadlee's first name.
He scored a century against Richard as well in the 2nd Test. He scored a ton against Daylee in the 1st. Was in the 2nd innings of the 3rd Test when Richard ran through Indian batting, Gavaskar was retired hurt.

Edit: Okay, that was a 71.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
lol. Far more feast than famine. How many players have 4 series against a single opposition where they average 50+ I wonder. In fact he still holds second place for most tons vs a single opposition, in far fewer innings than most of his competition. (Smith stands just one behind him vs England, could overtake him next Ashes)
Against the WI juggernaut, which was the topic brought up, he was feast or famine. Not against WI in general, which he does deserve credit for.

BazBall21

You literally mean 2 successful series among 3; and a century in even his worst one is feast and famine?
When WI became a four prong juggernaut, he made three tons which deserves a lot of credit even if none of them came on Barbados/Jamaica type tracks which was the biggest challenge. His scores against the juggernaut outside those three tons:

20, 0, 1, 32, 2, 19, 18, 1, 0, 7, 15, 90, 1, 12, 3, 0, 20.

Feast or famine.

Bolo.

International Captain
Nahhhh..... Sometimes you don't need to be ultraproductive. Just regularly doing your part, can also win you series.
In theory it should be something close to a wash without info on team strength. I'd take consistency in a strong team more often and rocks/diamonds in a weak one more often.

Consistency does indicate ability to score when things are challenging though, when runs are particularly challenging. And feasting is often downhill skiing and comes at times when runs are worth less/meaningless.

So ya, consistency is more likely to be preferable.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
When WI became a four prong juggernaut, he made three tons which deserves a lot of credit even if none of them came on Barbados/Jamaica type tracks which was the biggest challenge. His scores against the juggernaut outside those three tons:

20, 0, 1, 32, 2, 19, 18, 1, 0, 7, 15, 90, 1, 12, 3, 0, 20.

Feast or famine.
1 double ton, 2 centuries and a 90 in 11 matches, looks about right to me. That's 4 impactful scores in 11 matches, I don't think too many players have such consistency over such bowling unit. Not great really, but seems a little strange to be something to be presented as a problem.
More importantly, 9 of those innings were against WI away in the 1983 series, which is by almost everyone is considered poor, despite that century. In the other series, 1 double ton, 1 ton, 1 90, in 6 matches. Not the most consistent probably, but I don't think it's anything but great.
On Chappell, he never toured enough for me to be logically rated higher than Border, let alone Gavaskar.

BazBall21

1 double ton, 2 centuries and a 90 in 11 matches, looks about right to me. That's 4 impactful scores in 11 matches, I don't think too many players have such consistency over such bowling unit. Not great really, but seems a little strange to be something to be presented as a problem.
On Chappell, he never toured enough for me to be logically rated higher than Border, let alone Gavaskar.
I like consistency as well as marquee performances. One of those hundreds also came on the dullest slowest West Indian track with the match petering out to a draw. Still creditable, but hardly a difference maker in Gavaskar's credentials v the juggernaut. Nothing outside that in that series. The home series was certainly more of a contest between him and the fast bowling stars, but it was feast or famine.

Also, it isn't necessarily a problem. I just don't view his resume v the great WI attacks as a massive point of difference for him. His work v peak Imran in Pakistan however was very good.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
More importantly, 9 of those innings were against WI away in the 1983 series, which is by almost everyone is considered poor, despite that century. In the other series, 1 double ton, 1 ton, 1 90, in 6 matches. Not the most consistent probably, but I don't think it's anything but great.
Tbf Gavaskar is rated higher than Chappell by most people

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I like consistency as well as marquee performances. One of those hundreds also came on the dullest slowest West Indian track with the match petering out to a draw. Still creditable, but hardly a difference maker in Gavaskar's credentials v the juggernaut. Nothing outside that in that series. The home series was certainly more of a contest between him and the fast bowling stars, but it was feast or famine.
3 impactful performances in 6 matches is feast and famine?? What kind of consistency are you looking at???

BazBall21

3 impactful performances in 6 matches is feast and famine?? What kind of consistency are you looking at???
8 rubbish scores, 1 good score, and 2 great scores is feast or famine. After almost nothing on the WI tour.

It in't a problem a such as they are the greatest attack of all time and he did a respectable job. I just don't think his record against them is a point of difference in his favour. His work v peak Imran in Pakistan is, among other things.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
8 rubbish scores, 1 good score, and 2 great scores is feast or famine. After almost nothing on the WI tour.

It in't a problem a such as they are the greatest attack of all time and he did a respectable job. I just don't think his record against them is a point of difference in his favour. His work v peak Imran in Pakistan is, among other things.
Then agree to disagree then. Imo, 3 great scores in 6 matches, even if you don't perform in the other innings; is great and not feast and famine.

BazBall21

Then agree to disagree then. Imo, 3 great scores in 6 matches, even if you don't perform in the other innings; is great and not feast and famine.
Fair enough. I see one big score every 5.5 innings with very little in between (one score above 20 which was 32) as feast or famine, especially considering the nature of the hundred in Bourda. If you disagree, okay.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Fair enough. I see one big score every 5.5 innings with very little in between (one score above 20 which was 32) as feast or famine, especially considering the nature of the hundred in Bourda. If you disagree, okay.
Yeah, I guess. I see 3 impactful innings in 6 matches as enough consistent, failing in between not being a huge problem.