• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What format do you play in club cricket?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As my followers, of which there are many, are aware, I spent the English summer umpiring in the Cheshire County Cricket League 2nd XI 2nd Division. This season was the first in Cheshire of win/loss cricket, and timed cricket is becoming less and less in use across the country.

I know in Australia they play a lot of two day cricket etc so was wondering what formats those of you who play club cricket play each week.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know in Australia they play a lot of two day cricket etc so was wondering what formats those of you who play club cricket play each week.
mostly 2 day cricket, limited overs 80-85 overs a side, one-dayers with the white ball/coloured clothes intermixed in the same comp either 45 or 50 overs a side. Most comps T20s are on a weeknight under lights or Sundays.

The only long form cricket in most club cricket is usually the grand final which can be a 4 day game, 2 innings a side affair

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
mostly 2 day cricket, limited overs 80-85 overs a side, one-dayers with the white ball/coloured clothes intermixed in the same comp either 45 or 50 overs a side. Most comps T20s are on a weeknight under lights or Sundays.

The only long form cricket in most club cricket is usually the grand final which can be a 4 day game, 2 innings a side affair
Do you play your two day games on successive Saturdays or across the weekend?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Same as JediBrah here in Aus. 2 day games are played over 2 Saturdays.

I’d much prefer one day 45 over per side cricket for so many reasons.

TheJediBrah

Same as JediBrah here in Aus. 2 day games are played over 2 Saturdays.

I’d much prefer one day 45 over per side cricket for so many reasons.
For a few years because of Covid a lot of comps did this. Exclusively one-day cricket all season.

thierry henry

International Coach
We used to play 45 overs a side, it's been 40 overs a side for the last few years though.

I believe that the higher grades play 2-innings 2-dayers, which I assume are 90-odd overs a day over 2 Saturdays and are typically decided on the basis of first-innings runs.

I don't know if this is common around the world, but for whatever reason I mostly played 2-dayers in school cricket from about age 11, but then "regressed" to one-dayers when I started playing again as an adult, which feels a bit backwards. I'm not sure if the kids are still playing 2-dayers though, I've heard disturbing stories of 11-13 year old kids playing T20 with smaller boundaries and even a slightly shorter pitch (!).

Chubb

International Regular
My club play in the VTCA, which is mainly for Western Melbourne area clubs. It's probably the strongest league below the Vic Premier. A lot of ex Sri Lankan first class players and some international-level overseas.

The 1s and 2s play a mix of two dayers and one dayers on Saturdays.

My own 3s and 4s play 36 overs on Sundays. I am not sure why 36 and not 40 overs. The first year I was here they had a retire at 50 rule to prevent the top batsmen dominating, but that has been removed. I really enjoy this format and the generally competitive-but-social atmosphere. There is not a lot of sledging. When I've filled in for the twos you get sledged pretty hard which feels more like Australian cricket is supposed to be, but I am not good enough and too old for the higher grades.

cnerd123

likes this
Most recreational cricket in HK is 35 overs a side or T20. There is a 50 over comp for more serious players, and a couple of historic 2-Day matches in a year between the top clubs.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
All my Club cricket comprised of 2 day games played over successive Saturdays with Finals played on a Sat/Sun basis.
The only time we had one day games was when the first day of a 2 day fixture was wasahed out.
My Club now has both 1 day and 2 day fixtures which I would have enjoyed.

chris.hinton

International Captain
The Club i'm involved in has 2 different formats

(Week 1-5 &17-22) 50 overs, Coloured kits Win/Lose
(Week 6-16) 50 overs White kits, Winning Draws/Losing Draws

TheJediBrah

My club play in the VTCA, which is mainly for Western Melbourne area clubs. It's probably the strongest league below the Vic Premier. A lot of ex Sri Lankan first class players and some international-level overseas.
The quality in VTCA varies massively depending on the grade your club is in. I would still say in general sub-district is stronger.

And yeah feels like half the population of Sri Lanka have come through the VTCA as first-class cricketers.