• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli Test Average

Kohli test avg by end of career

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
I’d say Kohli is around the same level as Younis Khan, Root, and AB de Villiers atm.

How the rest of his career goes will decide whether he ends up better than Dravid but looks unlikely atm.

Last edited:

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Imo, has done much better than Sehwag and Laxman away to end up near them. In a recent poll, Root and Dravid were neck and neck. I rate Root and Kohli as equals. So yeah, closer to Dravid.
Idt Kohli is particularly near to anyone of them. Ik this would be highly controversial but imo Kohli is closer to Sehwag than to Dravid! Sehwag avgs higher than Kohli, both overall and away (and yes it's a bit padded up by the tests in Pakistan and a slightly easier era) while being an opener. Kohli has an ATG series in ENG, Aus but not much else to show there (he hasn't consistently been good there). One of the greats in SA certainly but poor in NZ too. Both have problems against swing/movement although Sehwag's were definitely more pronounced. Sehwag was definitely a much better player of spin though. His SENA record makes Kohli clear of Sehwag but not a gap as big as Dravid for me.
As for your point Dravid and Root are quite close I believe, although I have Dravid slightly ahead as of now. But, Root is quite easily ahead of Kohli now.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Idt Kohli is particularly near to anyone of them. Ik this would be highly controversial but imo Kohli is closer to Sehwag than to Dravid! Sehwag avgs higher than Kohli, both overall and away (and yes it's a bit padded up by the tests in Pakistan and a slightly easier era) while being an opener. Kohli has an ATG series in ENG, Aus but not much else to show there (he hasn't consistently been good there). One of the greats in SA certainly but poor in NZ too. Both have problems against swing/movement although Sehwag's were definitely more pronounced. Sehwag was definitely a much better player of spin though. His SENA record makes Kohli clear of Sehwag but not a gap as big as Dravid for me.
As for your point Dravid and Root are quite close I believe, although I have Dravid slightly ahead as of now. But, Root is quite easily ahead of Kohli now.
Let's disagree then. Kohli has more or less scored consistently in Australia; not akin to his legendary series of 2013/14; but pretty good knocks still and averages 40+ in every single tour there. Definitely an ATG in Australia. ATG in SA as well, probably the best there amongst everyone. Has an ATG series in England as well. Only played 4 games in NZ and averages 36..... Hardly worth holding against him. Sehwag was ATG in Asia, but outside he was genuinely of quality to not being fielded. Sub 25 in England, South Africa and New Zealand with ample sample size. His average is very pleasantly boosted by playing bulk in places suiting him. Imo, Virat is quite close to Dravid and better than Root. Root more consistent but Virat had the higher ceiling and reached it much more frequently.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Let's disagree then. Kohli has more or less scored consistently in Australia; not akin to his legendary series of 2013/14; but pretty good knocks still and averages 40+ in every single tour there. Definitely an ATG in Australia. ATG in SA as well, probably the best there amongst everyone. Has an ATG series in England as well. Only played 4 games in NZ and averages 36..... Hardly worth holding against him. Sehwag was ATG in Asia, but outside he was genuinely of quality to not being fielded. Sub 25 in England, South Africa and New Zealand with ample sample size. His average is very pleasantly boosted by playing bulk in places suiting him. Imo, Virat is quite close to Dravid and better than Root. Root more consistent but Virat had the higher ceiling and reached it much more frequently.
Let's agree to disagree then. Just one correction though, Kohli avgs 40+ only on the 18-19 tour of Aus in which he avgs 40.29. The rest are close to 40 but below it which is still pretty good but not that great.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Let's agree to disagree then. Just one correction though, Kohli avgs 40+ only on the 18-19 tour of Aus in which he avgs 40.29. The rest are close to 40 but below it which is still pretty good but not that great.
Yeah, my bad. Though my point overall stands I believe. In 2011, he was very young and averaged 37.5 and in 2021 he played a solo match and was India's best batsman in the Adelaide disaster. In 2018 though, his only other full tour there, he was quite good though was outplayed by Pujara and Pant.