• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bowled pretty well in India a looooong time ago (2016). Other than that not sure if he's ever played there.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Also with all the movement of NZ players to T20 franchise leagues , perhaps a reward for loyalty is a long term benefit that the Black Cap management is working towards.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Played two Tests in India 8 years ago and one in Pakistan last year. Shouldn't be relevant at all

Anyway. Who's the NZ commentator on SKY?
Thanks so Henry has 8 wickets @47.62 in Asia ,and in that Pakistan test even the washed up Southee outbowled him .

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks so Henry has 8 wickets @47.62 in Asia ,and in that Pakistan test even the washed up Southee outbowled him .
Yeah but with all due respect, what happened 8 years ago isn't relevant. And do you know Southee out bowled him in Karachi or are you basing it purely on their figures?

No one in the world can convince me Southee is a better option here, or anywhere right now than Matt Henry

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I think we might be understating how conditions-dependent Henry has pretty much always been
True, but we’re looking to him as leader of the attack for this transitional phase. Bit unfortunate that it’s cutting off a sustained run in the side for him in which he’s actually delivered.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's a dire argument, we all think Southee should not be playing ahead of Henry but he is the captain so they're sticking with him.

You should be arguing Henry vs O'Rourke or Henry vs Santner while speculating on when they call time on Southees career.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think we might be understating how conditions-dependent Henry has pretty much always been
I find it hard to buy this. He's bowled well in most conditions in NZ, Australia and England, and has played one Test outside these countries in 8 years.

It's a dire argument, we all think Southee should not be playing ahead of Henry but he is the captain so they're sticking with him.

You should be arguing Henry vs O'Rourke or Henry vs Santner while speculating on when they call time on Southees career.
I get what you're saying...but we can't debate whether the captain shouldn't be in the XI? Is that truly unprecedented to be brave and smart enough to pick your best side?

He's not a swap for O'Rourke because Henry isn't a first change bowler and O'Rourke is needed with height and ability to cause issues after the ball gets soft. And I'm not debating the need for another spinner, although I could.

Moss

I think everyone is in agreement that you’d play O’Rourke or Sears as your second quick in the subcontinent. Playing three quicks pretty much out of the question too unless the conditions support. You never saw Southee-Boult-Wagner ever play in the same lineup in the subcontinent. Add Santner’s improvement in the longer format, don’t think it’s a debate.

Dire argument or not, Southee’s case feels very 96-97 season Lee Germon at the moment (albeit with a fine record in the bank).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not a dire argument, it's pertinent. And yes,it is wrapped up in Stead's inability to deal with it. I don't expect Tim to retire. I expect Stead to be proactive and say hey we're going to Sri Lanka and you're not in our best XI so *whoever* is our captain unless Henry gets injured.

Moss

Anyhoo, thoughts on that first session? How’s Chandimal played in his first outing at no.3? Interestingly though he’s been an active international player in that duration, he hasn’t appeared in NZ’s last 2 series on the island in 2012 and 2019. Could be a real point of difference this time.

Moss

Anyhoo, thoughts on that first session? How’s Chandimal played in his first outing at no.3? Interestingly though he’s been an active international player in that duration, he hasn’t appeared in NZ’s last 2 series on the island in 2012 and 2019. Could be a real point of difference this time.
Hah, will claim that one. Hope this spurs Southee on.