• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia limited overs tour of Scotland and England 2024

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Because of his Test commitments, the only 50 over games he’ll have the opportunity to play in before the Champions Trophy are 3 ODIs in India in February (we have an ODI series in the West Indies that starts days after the Test series in Pakistan finishes). Will never happen of course, but since they all get plenty of T20 all over the globe, surely shouldn’t we place more of an emphasis on bilateral 50 over games so that the players will get a feel for the format rather than turning up cold at major tournaments? Brook is captain for the series, and how many 50 over games has he played in his life?
In last four to five years emphasis on odi cricket has gone down drastically fear if not for world cup format could die:(

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
In last four to five years emphasis on odi cricket has gone down drastically fear if not for world cup format could die:(
I think it was ma boi Finny who suggested making ODIs 40 overs each (which I don’t actually hate, we had a 40 over tournament in England and it helped the national team immensely), but whatever they do to ODI cricket, it just feels like a sticking plaster. For all the talk of the decline of Test cricket, there’s simply too much history and heritage for it to disappear completely, and T20s are an easy sell to casuals and people who can’t simply spend a whole day watching cricket. Obviously us anoraks love it, it offers a different challenge to the other formats, but outside of the CWC, what does 50 over cricket have going for it?

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
I think it was ma boi Finny who suggested making ODIs 40 overs each (which I don’t actually hate, we had a 40 over tournament in England and it helped the national team immensely), but whatever they do to ODI cricket, it just feels like a sticking plaster. For all the talk of the decline of Test cricket, there’s simply too much history and heritage for it to disappear completely, and T20s are an easy sell to casuals and people who can’t simply spend a whole day watching cricket. Obviously us anoraks love it, it offers a different challenge to the other formats, but outside of the CWC, what does 50 over cricket have going for it?
Maybe borads should do more like organizing tri series like Australia can once again restart vb tri series 🙂

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Maybe borads should do more like organizing tri series like Australia can once again restart vb tri series 🙂
Even at World Cups, games between two neutral teams don’t always sell well so I think a return to tri-series or quadrangular series between big teams are a pipe dream, but I did always enjoy them, they just felt bigger than a bilateral series (I can still vividly recall our tri-series either side of Ashes series in 2005 and 2007, can’t remember a thing about all the bilaterals we’ve had against Australia in that time!)

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Actually, that’s not quite true, I remember we absolutely wiped the floor with them in 2018 lol, but I genuinely had no recollection of beating them earlier that year

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even at World Cups, games between two neutral teams don’t always sell well so I think a return to tri-series or quadrangular series between big teams are a pipe dream, but I did always enjoy them, they just felt bigger than a bilateral series (I can still vividly recall our tri-series either side of Ashes series in 2005 and 2007, can’t remember a thing about all the bilaterals we’ve had against Australia in that time!)
Given the number of south Asian expats in the UK and Aus, I reckon they’d work well. The money is in the tv rights anyway

TheJediBrah

Given the number of south Asian expats in the UK and Aus, I reckon they’d work well. The money is in the tv rights anyway
That's why even when we gave up on the yearly tri-series it was still brought back in 2011-12 when India toured. It would only work if they are involved.

TheJediBrah

Completely random call up unless he’s already in England and CA wants to save on an airfare

This is just absurd. He's like the 10th in line fast bowler for WA, if that. Giving a youngster touring experience is one thing but it has to be reasonable

Qlder

International Debutant
So the changeover from T20I to ODI is:

Out: Stoinis, David
In: Smith, Labuschagne, Maxwell, Carey, Starc

(Beardman also added as a "travelling reserve")

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind beardman, but if I had to pick an U19 player would have gone with vidler. Was really impressed with him on FC debut for QLD last season.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Completely random call up unless he’s already in England and CA wants to save on an airfare

I was, at most, a few overs off with this call:

Hazlewood's out of the Scoland T20Is with a calf strain with Meredith called up, who'll presumably get his own traditional side strain after two overs.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't mind beardman, but if I had to pick an U19 player would have gone with vidler. Was really impressed with him on FC debut for QLD last season.
Beardman seems to be ahead in the white ball stuff, he's already played a game or two for WA IIRC. Vidler obviously being earmarked for bigger things with the red ball though, very clear he's being fast tracked.

Qlder

International Debutant
Will this be the ODI side?

Head
Short
Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Green
Carey
Abbott
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Edit: forgot Inglis was the incumbant keeper so he's in instead of Carey (and probably opens)

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Will this be the ODI side?

Head
Short
Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Green
Carey
Abbott
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood
Against something along the lines of:

Salt
Duckett
Cox
Brook
Livingstone
Smith/Bethell
Carse
Atkinson
Rashid
Archer
Topley

Feels like Carse is a place too high but I'm struggling to make it work any other way.

FBU

International Debutant
Against something along the lines of:

Salt
Duckett
Cox
Brook
Livingstone
Smith/Bethell
Carse
Atkinson
Rashid
Archer
Topley

Feels like Carse is a place too high but I'm struggling to make it work any other way.
Atkinson is not in the squad and I would prefer Mahmood to Topley