• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni or ponting

R!TTER

State Regular
Ofc if Rohit wins it now it won't be as significant. Nobody predicted India to win the 2008 series. That's why I said, context is important.
Say what? Winning three times down under in a row isn't significant? You know the last team, before SA, that beat Oz at their home thrice row? Or the last team that beat them (thrice) in a series of at least 4 tests? I'd give up a WC for that, although I'm almost sure RGS wouldn't :mellow:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
You can’t seriously use this as a metric compared with actually winning three WCs. You reckon if India beats Aus out here this summer in an ODI series that Rohit Sharma will consider it a meaningful metric compared with getting beaten in the actual WC last year?

Ponting won three WCs on the bounce and captained two of them. Played in four finals in a row. Made a ton every bit as good as Dhoni’s 2011 knock in the 03 Final. Also won a CT (not that I place much store in that, but if you’re raising a tri series here as a metric then it more than measures up to that).

to say it’s not a contest is quite a stretch.
As ODI captain, I doubt Ricky "inherited World's bestest team from Steve Waugh" Ponting really has a case above Mahendra Singh "won trophies as a captain with **** bowling resources" Dhoni.

Okay, okay. Was a joke, but still as a captain Dhoni is clear of Ponting.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Say what? Winning three times down under in a row isn't significant? You know the last team, before SA, that beat Oz at their home thrice row? Or the last team that beat them (thrice) in a series of at least 4 tests? I'd give up a WC for that, although I'm almost sure RGS wouldn't :mellow:
In ODIs. Winning an ODI there now won't be significant.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's bringing personal performance into it. Ok it might not be as clear cut as I said, but I still think Dhoni's captaincy was more impactful in India's success than Ponting's was to Australia's.
Yeah this is not an unreasonable point tbf.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
We're talking about ODIs arent we? We haven't done 3 in a row in ODIs. It is still somewhat significant but we are expected to win now (or at least compete) with Australia with the team we have. We weren't expected to do so back then because we didn't have the luxury of Shami and Bumrah then

R!TTER

State Regular
We're talking about ODIs arent we? We haven't done 3 in a row in ODIs. It is still somewhat significant but we are expected to win now (or at least compete) with Australia with the team we have. We weren't expected to do so back then because we didn't have the luxury of Shami and Bumrah then
Yeah apparently missed that, ODI's for me are the third wheel on the cricketing "bicycle" as of now i.e. irrelevant. Bring back the one new ball rule then we might actually enjoy them more.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah apparently missed that, ODI's for me are the third wheel on the cricketing "bicycle" as of now i.e. irrelevant. Bring back the one new ball rule then we might actually enjoy them more.
For me too tbh. But if we want to judge purely how good someone is as a captain, then ODIs are a good measure.. especially those played more than a decade ago, when they still had more relevance and T20 fever wasn't what it is now

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is a wild idea I had so throwing it out there. Like we use era adjustment while comparing batsmen, especially in ODIs could someone possibly come up with a team adjustment metric for comparing captains because the way most people (including myself) would view this task, would give no chance to somebody like a Flower to ever be called the greatest captain, simply because he played for Zimbabwe and never had a team good enough to compete for trophies and test series wins.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
This is a wild idea I had so throwing it out there. Like we use era adjustment while comparing batsmen, especially in ODIs could someone possibly come up with a team adjustment metric for comparing captains because the way most people (including myself) would view this task, would give no chance to somebody like a Flower to ever be called the greatest captain, simply because he played for Zimbabwe and never had a team good enough to compete for trophies and test series wins.
I honestly think a metric will work, but like measuring how good a captain was with only win rate is dumb anyways. Like I don't think Ponting was a great Test captain as I highly doubt Australia would had lost more if lead by Gilchrist. On the other hand, I can't say that for Imran Khan. There are also more things to do as a captain than only winning, like instilling a winning mindset, nurturing young men for the future, changing the attitude, raising fitness levels and fielding quality, etc. If your team wins more games with you as a captain than then wouldn't had, then you're a great captain. Like Stephen Fleming for instance, great strategical mind, and did the best possible with the NZ team he got. Like for Indian captains, I would say Tiger Pataudi was the best. Not just for winning the first away series, but for changing the attitude towards a much more positive direction.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never mention that draw in SA in 2010-11 as some sort of an achievement. Dhoni singlehandedly threw away India's finest chance of winning its 1st ever series in SA, all thanks to his logic defying ultra defensive tactics in the 3rd innings of the 3rd test with SA reeling at 130-6. Series win was within grasp. What we witnessed that day was a complete and utter farce.
Dhoni was match fixing. This is a well known fact.