• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

capt_Luffy

International Captain
There are no truly neutral conditions in test cricket. Even with the UAE it became a semi home for Pakistan for years.

I’d just be thinking of at least having one test in each country that had a player in the series. (so rip Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Ireland, Afghanistan)

If you want a truly neutral ground get China to prepare a pitch.
Always remember, France won an Olympic Silver Medal at home.....

kyear2

International Coach
I just said that because the Gibbs/Gupte comparison was stupid and uncalled for, especially since Sobers was more successful with pace.
None of us know for sure what his numbers were for his diffenrt style. @peterhrt did an estimate that had his wrist spin being about as effective as his pace. But it's just that.

If you have a turner, he's going to bowl spin when he comes on, so it is factors in.

kyear2

International Coach
Yeah no. Lord's is the opposite of neutral conditions and one the reasons why WTC Finals is a stupid joke.
Test series are normally 3 or 5 to increase the chance of a result, hence the odd numbers.

And where would you suggest the final should be held?

Open ears.

kyear2

International Coach
Given your ****e opinions, the forum will be thankful for mine.

Yeah, he is a 5th bowler, so don't try to big him up as some super spinner who is in any way comparable to Gupte or Gibbs.

And not to forget his early career bowling Strike rate of 356 against Pakistan.

Dude, get our head out of your back side for once.
When you get your head out of your ass, I'll do the same.

I said for a 5th bowler he was more than adequate for spin and pace, and yes, the numbers aren't that far away from Gupte and Gibbs, taking that into consideration.

It's not whatever term you used to catergorize it. On a turner he can hold down an end with spin, keeping it quiet, and depending on pitch conditions, either go wrist or finger spin.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Test series are normally 3 or 5 to increase the chance of a result, hence the odd numbers.

And where would you suggest the final should be held?

Open ears.
6 matches. In MCG, Eden, Colombo, Cape Town, Lahore and Lord's. If we are doing it as home/away, both teams should get equal matches in both regards, or else it is a huge advantage.

Coronis

International Coach
When you get your head out of your ass, I'll do the same.

I said for a 5th bowler he was more than adequate for spin and pace, and yes, the numbers aren't that far away from Gupte and Gibbs, taking that into consideration.

It's not whatever term you used to catergorize it. On a turner he can hold down an end with spin, keeping it quiet, and depending on pitch conditions, either go wrist or finger spin.
So that is indeed, where your head is?

Victor Ian

International Coach
6 matches. In MCG, Eden, Colombo, Cape Town, Lahore and Lord's. If we are doing it as home/away, both teams should get equal matches in both regards, or else it is a huge advantage.
Sort of agree that grounds should have equal split. On the other hand they should offer the full variety of styles.

Should they be chosen to maximise advantage, or minimise? For instance, ROW might prefer Perth to MCG.

I like the iconic grounds as you have chosen but if all Asian grounds are spinny while ROW grounds are bouncy, swingy, well balanced, Roady, etc, that is not fair either. If Asian grounds offer the equivalent variety, then for sure, it has to be equal split.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Sort of agree that grounds should have equal split. On the other hand they should offer the full variety of styles.

Should they be chosen to maximise advantage, or minimise? For instance, ROW might prefer Perth to MCG.

I like the iconic grounds as you have chosen but if all Asian grounds are spinny while ROW grounds are bouncy, swingy, well balanced, Roady, etc, that is not fair either. If Asian grounds offer the equivalent variety, then for sure, it has to be equal split.
I mean, Eden is anything but a Turner really. Lahore is also quite flat. Among the ones I named only Colombo is a proper turner, and that too not really a dust bowl. Probably the grounds should had been better balanced, in which case Cheepauk for Eden and Perth for MCG.

Last edited: