• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

sayon basak

First Class Debutant
Looks like an easy win for Sri Lanka. They are getting the taste of their own medicine, while English bowlers are continuously bowling cross seam deliveries instead of trying to swing the ball.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Uhoh, here goes the bit where people can't live with the 'die by the sword' part of England's approach, as infrequent as it's been.
People will point to the 2nd Test in NZ, the first two in The Ashes, and presumably this Test if we lose it, and say they are games Bazball has thrown away and completely ignore the matches we don’t even come close to winning in another era

Trent Bridge 2022. Rawalpindi. Headingley last year. First Test in India. And just in general. We’d won one test in a million at the start of the 2022 summer, we’ve not lost a home series since, we’ve lost one series full stop.

It’s ****ing bollocks. Let’s go back to Burns and Sibley opening the batting, being dour as ****, only Joe scoring any runs, and never winning. Because at least that was proper cricket

Coronis

International Coach
People will point to the 2nd Test in NZ, the first two in The Ashes, and presumably this Test if we lose it, and say they are games Bazball has thrown away and completely ignore the matches we don’t even come close to winning in another era

Trent Bridge 2022. Rawalpindi. Headingley last year. First Test in India. And just in general. We’d won one test in a million at the start of the 2022 summer, we’ve not lost a home series since, we’ve lost one series full stop.

It’s ****ing bollocks. Let’s go back to Burns and Sibley opening the batting, being dour as ****, only Joe scoring any runs, and never winning. Because at least that was proper cricket
Brendan’s or Ben’s burner?

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain

There is a middle ground. Pointing out that this performance has been awful doesn't necessarily mean one opposes the current regime. You can play attacking cricket in a smart manner. England's batting for much of this test has been genuinely crazy; just stinks of a team that are treating this game with end of term type vibes while believing their own hype which comes off as disrespectful towards opposition and supporters.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Brendan’s or Ben’s burner?
Or just people who have an opinion, for seeing this approach for what it's worth? That an aggressive approach that has completely changed the trajectory of this team - and could've won an Ashes if not for rain - is going to have the occasional time it goes too far? You don't get one without the other. ,

There is a middle ground. Pointing out that this performance has been awful doesn't necessarily mean one opposes the current regime. You can play attacking cricket in a smart manner. England's batting for much of this test has been genuinely crazy; just stinks of a team that are treating this game with end of term type vibes while believing their own hype which comes off as disrespectful towards opposition and supporters.
With the middle ground, you don't get performances like GIMH pointed out.

I agree with you in part, the Basin declaration was genuinely dumb, for example. And I'm hardly able to comment on what went on in this Test, because I haven't watched it. But it's hard to ask a team to live on the edge and not occasionally get it horribly wrong...maybe that has happened with the series locked away, which is no doubt frustrating but something I could live with as a fan.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s been a good team performance. But even good teams play badly sometimes and lose games. Sri Lanka have fought from behind repeatedly in this match to the point where once they got us 5/6 down this afternoon they were finally ahead.

‘Believing their own hype’ is a term I tend to find lazy. Duckett played a cracking innings in the first dig in difficult conditions having been put in. Would everyone be happier if he’d got out if he defensively edged one to slip when on 12 (36)? Because what does believing your own hype really mean? If it means he keeps playing like he did in the first innings then yes please.

We’re missing Crawley, who had made a habit for the last 18 months of making sure Pope and Root came in with runs on the board. Granted he didn’t score any runs against Windies. We’re missing Stokes and it shows in all three facets, and dare I say it in the field. And now we’re shorn of Wood, too. Obviously the Jimmy thing is self inflicted.

Name me a side that wouldn’t miss those contributors. We look a bit tired, which definitely showed in the field today. Do you really believe they’re not trying? Because if anyone isn’t, you probably won’t see them play for England again while McCullum and Stokes are in charge.

As I said before, what I consider to be disrespectful to the opposition is acting like this game situation is entirely down to England’s attitude. I saw them fight back from 93-5 with good batting. I saw them bowl excellently this afternoon. Root and Brook weren’t ‘bazballed’ out and if those two had got in we’re probably looking at another clean sweep.

Theres lots to improve but the kneejerk jump to lazy/attitude/disrespect is to me bereft of any actual substance.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain

Don't think Bazball should be used as an excuse here. It's more how England have acted in positions of strength in this game. Just looks like they don't care and I'd bet they'll still be all smiles even if they end up losing this game.

It's not a good look for Popes captaincy. Reminds me a bit of craptain Root

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Or just people who have an opinion, for seeing this approach for what it's worth? That an aggressive approach that has completely changed the trajectory of this team - and could've won an Ashes if not for rain - is going to have the occasional time it goes too far? You don't get one without the other. ,

With the middle ground, you don't get performances like GIMH pointed out.

I agree with you in part, the Basin declaration was genuinely dumb, for example. And I'm hardly able to comment on what went on in this Test, because I haven't watched it. But it's hard to ask a team to live on the edge and not occasionally get it horribly wrong...maybe that has happened with the series locked away, which is no doubt frustrating but something I could live with as a fan.
Yeah the Wellington enforced follow on was poor cricket because the third innings is the best time to bat in New Zealand. It was an unnecessary risk when England had their foot on New Zealand's neck. Kane Williamson doesn't miss out twice on flat tracks.

At 250-3 in this Test - England should have targeted batting once. They instead batted like they were looking for declaration runs. I actually defended the spin excess last night because they didn't know how many overs could be lost, but that was questionable too. And as for Dan Lawrence opening in a test match...

No patience from the bowlers tonight in amongst a stand-in captain out of his depth, but I can't attach much blame to them as defending 220 isn't easy.

A few players missing yes, but the application after day one was poor and lazy.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Wonder if Sri Lanka will look back on this series as something of a missed opportunity, they’ve been poor in the first innings each time, if they had just got a few more runs at Old Trafford we’d have been well under the cosh and Dhananjaya’s call at the toss at Lord’s won’t go down as one of the better ones in history!

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Overall though, I’d say it’s been a fairly successful Test summer, Pope remains very much feast or famine with the bat, and we’ve missed Crawley (which is not a sentence anyone thought they’d be saying a year or two ago!) and Stokes, but Smith and Atkinson have been tremendous finds (perhaps both have tired a bit, but I don’t think Smith will have the gloves forever, and Atkinson surely won’t play 6 Tests back to back very often). Atkinson isn’t a genuine pace merchant, but he’s quick enough and can generate bounce so I fancy he’ll do well abroad too

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Bazball should be used as an excuse here. It's more how England have acted in positions of strength in this game. Just looks like they don't care and I'd bet they'll still be all smiles even if they end up losing this game.

It's not a good look for Popes captaincy. Reminds me a bit of craptain Root
It’s SL away. Theres still a decent chance England and Wales win this by 25 runs.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
I think England have been very poor this test, but the credit needs to go to Sri Lanka.
Since the start of that 6th wicket partnership they have dominated the game in all departments.
The kind of total they're chasing can often be very tricky, but the way they have gone about it in such a positive manner has been refreshing to see.
As long as they can hold their nerve tomorrow it's theirs for the taking.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
England really are somewhat vulnerable when Lord Joe isn't scoring.
The more sensible spells we’ve had with the bat this summer have had at least one of Root or Stokes playing a key role, but with the others, is it something technical stopping them from making big runs consistently, or could they dig in if they wanted to but their mindset of trying to hit every ball is putting a ceiling on them?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The more sensible spells we’ve had with the bat this summer have had at least one of Root or Stokes playing a key role, but with the others, is it something technical stopping them from making big runs consistently, or could they dig in if they wanted to but their mindset of trying to hit every ball is putting a ceiling on them?
If Ben Duckett played more ‘sensibly’ do you think his average would be higher? 10 lower for me. Same goes for Crawley.

Pope is Pope, I think Brook to an extent has it in him to go big more often than he has done at home though.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
If Ben Duckett played more ‘sensibly’ do you think his average would be higher? 10 lower for me. Same goes for Crawley.

Pope is Pope, I think Brook to an extent has it in him to go big more often than he has done at home though.
Yeah, Crawley was a meme until this setup came in, and we don’t know how well Duckett would do if he tried to stick around as he simply doesn’t play defensive shots! Think Smith is good enough all-round that he’d have flourished under any setup, Pope at this stage I think will always be a player who is vulnerable early on but who can go big (think I saw some stats saying he’s one of the worst batters in Test cricket for lasting 25 balls, but once he does so, he averages 85), Brook has not had a stellar summer (though he’s got Pakistan and New Zealand to come lol)