• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Woakes has never quite decided whether he should bat like a proper batsman or lower-order chancer. I guess being in this team has pushed him towards the latter, but I always think he should play like the former. Such an underperformer.
Just feels like the perfect number 8 to me (only averages 22 there, but a few of his bigger innings at 9 were with a night-watchman). Meanwhile, on a similar note, was that innings at Lord’s from Atkinson a fluke?

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
England are so rigid it's untrue. All or nothing mindset. The wickets compilation for this innings wouldn't look out of place in a T20.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And there goes another to catching practice. Maybe Pope felt there was no point hanging around if the rest of the side cba to keep him company. There's me saying that stronger attack would skittle us for less than 150 in these conditions, but if Duckett and Pope hadn't been so lucky at the start of Day 1, we'd have been long gone.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Well the median 1st innings score after being put in to bat in England is 294, to give you a bit of a ballparker. It's about the same if you exclude pre-21st century tests.
Considering how disappointing Sri Lanka were yesterday, and that they have improved today but not by that much, this is a frustrating end…

mackembhoy

International Debutant
These have definitely learnt nothing from last year's Ashes and India away.

This so called reset that Key/McCullum were on about was just changing the bowling attack.

We'd have been heavily beaten if either of them sides were touring.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain

This so called reset that Key/McCullum were on about was just changing the bowling attack.

There have been times where we have been more patient, but it seems like after too long we just get bored and want to have a bash

If SL decide to bat properly and pull off a win here, it may just be a timely kick up the backside needed.

No way on earth we get away with this profligacy against Aus or Ind.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I gather that Hull's FC batting average is 3.75

I don't think they rate Bashir's batting very highly.

Reactions: FBU