• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asia Xi vs ROW Xi

Who wins

• Asia Xi

• ROW Xi

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
A similar thread to this was done before, but it considered all time players. Clearly the ROW Xi was stronger in that match up. Test cricket in Asia took off mostly from the 70s, so a better match up could be to compare their Xis in the same time period (sorry ROW, you can't have Bradman).
My Xis for the period are:

Asian Xi
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Sachin
Sanga (wk)
Miandad
Imran (c)
Ashwin
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

World Xi
Boycott
G. Smith (c)
Viv
Lara
Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

Who wins?

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man
A similar thread to this was done before, but it considered all time players. Clearly the ROW Xi was stronger in that match up. Test cricket in Asia took off mostly from the 70s, so a better match up could be to compare their Xis in the same time period (sorry ROW, you can't have Bradman).

Asian Xi
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Sachin
Sanga (wk)
Miandad
Imran (c)
Ashwin
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

World Xi
Boycott
G. Smith (c)
Viv
Lara
Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

Who wins?
In asian conditions asia xi in sena world xi

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Any changes to the Xis, perhaps Greenidge/Hayden in for G. Smith or Kumble/Kapil/Bumrah in for Ashwin?

Coronis

International Coach
Conditions dependant, since one team has two spinners.

There’s not a huge batting advantage one way or the other so it’ll come down to whether the pitch favours the better pace attack or the better spin attack.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Conditions dependant, since one team has two spinners.

There’s not a huge batting advantage one way or the other so it’ll come down to whether the pitch favours the better pace attack or the better spin attack.
On a pace friendly wicket, if one takes out Ashwin for Bumrah, does World xi still have the edge?

Coronis

International Coach
On a pace friendly wicket, if one takes out Ashwin for Bumrah, does World xi still have the edge?
Can’t say for certain tbh, very close. One team has literally the best 3 pacers of all time. Extra pacers generally give diminishing returns

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
Can't have two off spinners. Replace Ashwin with Jadeja.

ROW XI should have Greenidge ahead of Boycott. An aggressive impact player at the top who is proven vs good attack over a slow steady tuk tuk batter for me.

Coronis

International Coach
Can't have two off spinners. Replace Ashwin with Jadeja.

ROW XI should have Greenidge ahead of Boycott. An aggressive impact player at the top who is proven vs good attack over a slow steady tuk tuk batter for me.
They already have Smith who is more aggressive anyway. I like an aggressive/defensive combination at the crease best tbh.

kyear2

International Coach

Asian Xi
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Sachin
Sanga (wk)
Miandad
Imran (c)
Ashwin
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

World Xi
Boycott
G. Smith (c)
Viv
Lara
Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

Who wins?
Even with no Bradman (and this is just mine)

Richards
Greenidge / Smith
Richards
Lara
Smith
Sobers
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

This team should be fairly well suited to take on any other, no real weaknesses. Should take this fairly easily.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes because Marshall, Hadlee and McGrath are more effective in pace friendly conditions than the Imran, Wasim and Waqar. Bumrah about even with the 3 in the ROW XI.

kyear2

International Coach
Sobers barely played in the 70s and hence I didn't include him in mine. His best came in the 60s
But he played in the 70's and despite being in his golden years and on the decline, still had one of his most iconic innings

kyear2

International Coach
Can't really see how it would be easily.....
Don't see any area where the SC XI has an advantage.

Elite batsmen per side (from my top 2 tiers)

SC XI
Sachin & Gavaskar

ROW
Richards / Richards / Lara / Sobers / Smith

The ROW has literally and don't think arguably the greatest 3 pacers ever and the best bowler on the SC team is literally matched by the one on the ROW one.

So the ROW has better batting, bowling and catching.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Don't see any area where the SC XI has an advantage.

Elite batsmen per side (from my top 2 tiers)

SC XI
Sachin & Gavaskar

ROW
Richards / Richards / Lara / Sobers / Smith

The ROW has literally and don't think arguably the greatest 3 pacers ever and the best bowler on the SC team is literally matched by the one on the ROW one.

So the ROW has better batting, bowling and catching.
Warne is nowhere near as good as Ashwin in Asia, let alone Murali. Barry Richards is not better than Dravid, Sobers doesn't counts post 70s; and that's pretty much deals with the batting advantage. No point going over catching, Asia have better bowling depth. Can't see ROW winning in Asia (and vice versa).

kyear2

International Coach
Warne is nowhere near as good as Ashwin in Asia, let alone Murali. Barry Richards is not better than Dravid, Sobers doesn't counts post 70s; and that's pretty much deals with the batting advantage. No point going over catching, Asia have better bowling depth. Can't see ROW winning in Asia (and vice versa).

And how good is Ashwin outside of Asia, plus most of the ATG SC teams I saw in the other forum had Jadeja instead of Ashwin as is the case for India in most cases.

Barry is considerable better than Dravid, and comparable to Sunny, but not going to get into that argument.

And why wouldn't Sobers count? He played in the 70's, played vs Sunny and his most iconic innings was in the 70's.

But if you want to break down

Richards and Smith / Greenidge is at least on par with Gavaskar and Sehwag / Anwar

Richards
Lara
Smith
Sobers
Gilchrist

Isn't better than...

Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad / Younis
Sangakkara
Imran

Seriously?

Why would we ignore catching? Clear advantage for the ROW for catching and fielding.

With regards to bowling, the ROW has the 3 greatest and best bolwers ever, with at least the guy tied as the best spinner ever. And didn't know depth, made up for quality.

I'm not saying it's a 5-0 series, but one team is better than the other.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
And how good is Ashwin outside of Asia, plus most of the ATG SC teams I saw in the other forum had Jadeja instead of Ashwin as is the case for India in most cases.

Barry is considerable better than Dravid, and comparable to Sunny, but not going to get into that argument.

And why wouldn't Sobers count? He played in the 70's, played vs Sunny and his most iconic innings was in the 70's.

But if you want to break down

Richards and Smith / Greenidge is at least on par with Gavaskar and Sehwag / Anwar

Richards
Lara
Smith
Sobers
Gilchrist

Isn't better than...

Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad / Younis
Sangakkara
Imran

Seriously?

Why would we ignore catching? Clear advantage for the ROW for catching and fielding.

With regards to bowling, the ROW has the 3 greatest and best bolwers ever, with at least the guy tied as the best spinner ever. And didn't know depth, made up for quality.

I'm not saying it's a 5-0 series, but one team is better than the other.
Outside of Asia, one would go for someone like Bumrah to even up things a bit. As for Sobers he only played 17 matches from the 1970s which I feel is a very small sample size for someone to be put in all time xi. As for Richards, I haven't seen him much tbh, and as great as a batsman he was in FC cricket, I would hesitate to call anyone much better then Dravid, who has a played a total of 4 tests compared to Dravid's 164 (again I might be completely wrong as I haven't watched Richards bat a lot).
Combining all these factors, I feel it's a much closer battle even though ROW Xi might still have the edge in a lot of non SC conditions, but not all I feel.

kyear2

International Coach
Outside of Asia, one would go for someone like Bumrah to even up things a bit. As for Sobers he only played 17 matches from the 1970s which I feel is a very small sample size for someone to be put in all time xi. As for Richards, I haven't seen him much tbh, and as great as a batsman he was in FC cricket, I would hesitate to call anyone much better then Dravid, who has a played a total of 4 tests compared to Dravid's 164 (again I might be completely wrong as I haven't watched Richards bat a lot).
Combining all these factors, I feel it's a much closer battle even though ROW Xi might still have the edge in a lot of non SC conditions, but not all I feel.
What's the teams being used.

I'm using

SC XI

Gavaskar
Anwar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Sangakkara
Younis
Imran
Jadeja
Wasim
Muralitharan
Bumrah

Richards
Greenidge
Richards
Lara
Smith
Sobers
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

All 3 pacers had more than good results in India, and Steyn could even be an option instead of Hadlee for more firepower and reverse, though less batting 🤷🏽‍♂️.

As far as Sobers goes, it said from the 70's, he played in the 70's.