• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Test Series Victory

Greatest Series Victory

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Terrible to excuse rank officiating because of the advent of technology. A **** decision is a **** decision, whether it's reviewed or not. Players aren't excused for making **** decisions, officials shouldn't be either.
One of the strangest fan reactions to DRS is this removal of the Umpire's agency. As if bad decision (and the umpire) are irrelevant because DRS exists now. Player choices obviously exist and matter but the umpires still have enough power (unfortunately) that the decisions they make matter

Molehill

International Captain
Terrible to excuse rank officiating because of the advent of technology. A **** decision is a **** decision, whether it's reviewed or not. Players aren't excused for making **** decisions, officials shouldn't be either.
Yeah, but that's why technology was brought in, to get rid of the **** decisions. What was far more of a **** decision was opting to review in the over before.

subshakerz

International Coach
Plus the poster is not considering the strength of the SL side that toured SA :

1.Dimuth Karunaratne
2.Lahiru Thirimanne
3.Oshada Fernando
4.Kusal Mendis
5.Kusal Perera
6.Dhananjaya De Silva
7.Niroshan Dickwella (WK)
8.Suranga Lakmal
9.Lasith Embuldeniya
10.Vishwa Fernando
11.Kasun Rajitha

They had no right to win in South Africa no matter the condition, in fact I think most of the BD players who played in the Pakistan win would get into this team off the top of my head,
Shakib, Mushfiqur, Liton Das , Mehidy Miraz , Hasan Mahmud , Mominul Haque easily walk into this XI ..
And then that Indian "Miracle team" lmao Rohit Sharma , Shubman Gill , Pujara, Rahane, Pant ,Thakur and Siraj all get in that SL side at the minimum..
This is a good point. The difference between the sides was probably greatest in the SL case.

Burgey

Yeah, but that's why technology was brought in, to get rid of the **** decisions. What was far more of a **** decision was opting to review in the over before.
lol actually it’s hard to go past three reds as a bad decision

Burgey

I dunno, landing a yard outside leg stump is far more daft, especially when your skipper is the keeper and can see it clearly.
It’s not more daft at all. You don’t excuse your number four for playing a **** shot because your number six played one. It was stone dead and Wilson squibbed it, perhaps out of fear Stokes would go full Bristol on him

never go full Bristol

Molehill

International Captain
It’s not more daft at all. You don’t excuse your number four for playing a **** shot because your number six played one. It was stone dead and Wilson squibbed it, perhaps out of fear Stokes would go full Bristol on him

never go full Bristol
Full Bristol v Phonechat *** pest........can't blame Wilson really.

Slifer

International Captain
Only people that weren't paying attention. Eng hadn't lost a series for 18 mths prior, indcluding beating your mob 3-0 away and 4-0 at home......so you of all people should know this was a very decent Eng side going into the 2005 Ashes.

Whilst they obviously did get crushed in the first test I reckon they showed enough that first morning at Lords that the Aussies knew they had a fight on their hands.
They were a decent side yes but they were facing an atg side they hadnt beaten anywhere in decades til then. Honestly, had you know who not stepped on the you know what, the outcome likely would've been different let's not kid ourselves. So maybe I'm alone but I certainly had no expectations for England to win that Ashes series in 2005.

Burgey

I saw an interview with Vaughan in the late 2010s and iirc he said England was actually eyeing off the 2006-07 series out here as their big chance to beat Australia while they built their mid-2000s side, but the success Murray Mints came early

TheJediBrah

They were a decent side yes but they were facing an atg side they hadnt beaten anywhere in decades til then. Honestly, had you know who not stepped on the you know what, the outcome likely would've been different let's not kid ourselves. So maybe I'm alone but I certainly had no expectations for England to win that Ashes series in 2005.
Had any of a dozen unusual things not happened England wouldn't have won the series.

McGrath ball, umpires conveniently ignoring inside edges every time Martyn batted, the weather **** blocking Aussies, English sub fielder cheating and of course more influential than all of the above the blatant ball tampering.

Take any one of those away and England don't win. You'd have been a fool to think they had any chance before the series unless you were the CEO of Murray Mints

subshakerz

International Coach
Had any of a dozen unusual things not happened England wouldn't have won the series.

McGrath ball, umpires conveniently ignoring inside edges every time Martyn batted, the weather **** blocking Aussies, English sub fielder cheating and of course more influential than all of the above the blatant ball tampering.

Take any one of those away and England don't win. You'd have been a fool to think they had any chance before the series unless you were the CEO of Murray Mints
To be fair it could also have been 3-1 to England.

Molehill

International Captain
To be fair it could also have been 3-1 to England.
4-1 if it didn't rain, the Aussies always get saved in one Test by rain.

So Tests McGrath played in, won at Lord's, held on for a draw at OT thanks to an all time great Punter innings and saved by the rain at The Oval.

But pleased to see it doesn't still bother TJB!! :laugh: