• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated match performances

subshakerz

International Coach
What are those match performances that get lauded but really on investigation don't deserve the hype?

Sehwag's 195 in Aus to me gets rated too highly. Kamran Akmal's 139 in 2006 was a very good counter attacking knock but to me gets put in the great category prematurely.

Any others?

Coronis

International Coach
Bro gtfoh. That's an atg knock vs an atg attack under trying circumstances ie chasing 300+. Maybe Perera's is better but to say it isn't a top knock is trolling.
Where did I say it wasn’t a top knock? All I said was it was overrated.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I know this gets knocked, but any innings where the player was stone-cold dropped early on, or gave up chances, ultimately I tend to think can be over-rated. Yes I know, you take your chances, but I don't rate - for example - Stephen Fleming's 134* v SA in the 03 World Cup as highly because Boucher dropped an absolute sitter on 53. Henry Nicholls has scored some Test tons over the past 3-4 years in which he rode an outrageous amount of luck. Chanceless or near flawless knocks get a better judgement from me

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know this gets knocked, but any innings where the player was stone-cold dropped early on, or gave up chances, ultimately I tend to think can be over-rated. Yes I know, you take your chances, but I don't rate - for example - Stephen Fleming's 134* v SA in the 03 World Cup as highly because Boucher dropped an absolute sitter on 53. Henry Nicholls has scored some Test tons over the past 3-4 years in which he rode an outrageous amount of luck. Chanceless or near flawless knocks get a better judgement from me
I think this is ok to use as a differentiator when you’re comparing the best of the best.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes at Headingley 2019. Had a slog, dropped catches, missed run out, plumb lbw not given.
Root in the test match just gone. LBW not given before he reached 20. Dud attack, SL playing away.
Tendulkar Sydney 2004. Flat deck, weak attack. So he didn't play a cover drive. Whacko.
Dean Jones Chennai tied test. Ordinary Indian attack, a zillion other tons scored in that game. Weak as piss with his carrying on, as TOTAB pointed out at the time.

thierry henry

International Coach
Stokes at Headingley 2019. Had a slog, dropped catches, missed run out, plumb lbw not given.
Stokes ODI WC final obv. Dug himself into a hole (while Buttler took all the responsibility to score at a decent clip), holed out to Boult as soon as he tried to lift the tempo (awarded 6 runs). Takes a risky two in the last over (awarded 6 runs). Completely bottles it the last 2 balls when needing 3 off 2. This is considered a clutch innings btw.