• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Since his hundred in India Duckett averaging 25.38 from 14 innings

Boosted by the 25* in the small chase win against WI. His runs per innings is 23.57

King Kane

International Debutant
Since his hundred in India Duckett averaging 25.38 from 14 innings

Boosted by the 25* in the small chase win against WI. His runs per innings is 23.57
Do England have any better test openers to replace him though?

If Lawrence was the best replacement for Crawley it would suggest the potential England test opener cupboard is pretty bare.

King Kane

International Debutant
Athers talking about the rebound catch with Botham dismissing Jeff Thomson, Tavare dropping it and Miller taking it on the rebound.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain

If Lawrence was the best replacement for Crawley it would suggest the potential England test opener cupboard is pretty bare.
Most of the top-scoring openers in the County Championship (not that it’s the main consideration for England selection lol) are guys like Jennings, Burns and Hameed who have been tried and ultimately failed

mackembhoy

International Debutant

Not for one minute suggesting we should be moving away from Duckett and Crawley.

Just highlighting he's going through a lean patch that hopefully doesn't continue for too much longer.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Most of the top-scoring openers in the County Championship (not that it’s the main consideration for England selection lol) are guys like Jennings, Burns and Hameed who have been tried and ultimately failed
Shame Lees hasn't been as dominant as he was last season. He'd have been a shoe in a replacement.

He's scored runs but hasn't been the same in terms of 70+ SR.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I tend to go into a series against Sri Lanka just sort of assuming they have half a dozen finger spinners better than ours, but Jayasuriya has been pretty ordinary since that one delivery to get Brook out in the first innings of the series. Seems to throw a pie or two in every spell.

King Kane

International Debutant
The Pope captaincy curse continues.

Hameed looked hopeless as a test opener but I thought Burns was alright as a test opener, he looks awkward but he could scrap some fighting knocks.

He doesn't seem to fit in with the bullish Bazball style mode that McCullum and Stokes are looking for though.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
The Pope captaincy curse continues.

Hameed looked hopeless as a test opener but I thought Burns was alright as a test opener, he looks awkward but he could scrap some fighting knocks.

He doesn't seem to fit in with the bullish Bazball style mode that McCullum and Stokes are looking for though.
I liked Burns, but yeah, he’s got no chance of a recall under the current setup

King Kane

International Debutant
A bad shot from Brook and an even worse drop.

That could be costly, Brook already making Sri Lanka pay with a six.

King Kane

International Debutant
Ian Ward talking about watching Brett Lee bowling at the WACA, I saw him live there too and he was rapid, I wouldn't have fancied facing him there.

I wouldn't have fancied facing him anywhere tbh.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the consensus on Brook vs spin?
Usually OK. This is a different thing as he is basically looking to tee off all the time against a very defensive field.
Obviously need to see him play good spin abroad though to know how good he is. Until then you just don't know.

King Kane

International Debutant
No let off for Brook this time, with England's lead close to 350 that wicket doesn't matter too much though.

They probably already have enough of a lead.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator

I think on merit over the past few seasons Jennings should be next in line, but maybe be his Test failures when he was younger count against him.