• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root is number one

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Majestic

U19 Captain
I am not in anyways, suggesting that look at only away record vs top nations. Home performance matters too but you can't conveniently ignore the away performance vs top teams, especially when comparing players who are rated among the very best in the world.

Daryl Mitchell has been excellent in last few years but with a sample of 5 away tests vs top teams, we can hardly make any conclusion. Atleast 15-20 away tests vs top teams is required and then he would be considered one of best test player of this generation depending on overall sample.

Coronis

International Coach
I am not in anyways, suggesting that look at only away record vs top nations. Home performance matters too but you can't conveniently ignore the away performance vs top teams, especially when comparing players who are rated among the very best in the world.

Daryl Mitchell has been excellent in last few years but with a sample of 5 away tests vs top teams, we can hardly make any conclusion. Atleast 15-20 away tests vs top teams is required and then he would be considered one of best test player of this generation depending on overall sample.
Then why post that stat.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
https://x.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1829359221600583928/photo/1 little more can be said than this. I regularly bemoaned him not converting 50s anywhere near as much as I believed he should have done, especially between the Pakistan series in the UAE 2015 until the end of 2020. In that period he scored only 9 tons in 65 games, with him scoring 36 unconverted 50s. So a 1 in 5 conversion rate.

However, as the link above provides, 16 tons in 87 innings since turning 30, which was the end of 2020. A rate of not much less than 1 ton in every 5 innings. A huge difference.

I personally can’t wait for him to overtake Cook, who conversely was a rather ordinary for the last five years of his career, only 8 tons in his last 60 odd tests.

Last edited:

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Root is clearly going to get to the Number 2 spot in total runs, would probably need to bat until he's 38 to catch Tendulkar. But the way he's playing, that looks entirely doable.

BazBall21

International Captain
Greatest this century?? Not sure

Hamilton, Farah, Murray, Fury, Hoy, and Wiggins are/were all at his level or above.
Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jonny Wilkinson also played in the 90s as well as post 2000 so perhaps not eligible
I think he's England's best cricketer since Botham though. Difficult to compare cross-sport so I won't look into that accolade. Those are some good shouts though.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Yeah I think Joe Root is the best batsman in the world right now without a shadow of a doubt, he's always available for Tests and is scoring runs consistently