• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Kumara strikes ! Extra pace gets things going .

Lawrence looks like a forced Bazballer more than a natural one ..Like that Alex Lees guy England tried a year or two ago.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was meaning an arrogance in this is us you deal with it is coming in a lot more. I worded it badly. Most sides are announced a day before, 48 hours seems a little early.

Good toss to lose. Though we'd have surely batted anyway. Showing no faith in his top order on a sunny day on a flat surface is poor though
Funnily enough I'd say that here it's tacitly understood that the Aus XI is set at the start of the series and only altered for injuries or a regular returning, with the announcement being perfunctory.

Though there's nothing as weird I can think of as the practice at some points in the seventies, when the XI was decided when the previous match was ongoing. This was the case in 78/79 and Yallop said it was really hard to motivate a player who knew they'd already been dropped. I don't know if it was actually publicly announced though.

The thing with SL's 'bowl because that's what you do' is that they don't seem have looked at the pitch or overheads. The pitches have been a lot flatter in the McCullum era, and regardless of the cause clouds = swing has been the accepted logic for decades, and it's not cloudy.

He looks a bit of a square peg in a round hole. England need to do a bit of future planning with regards to finding another opener.
Just thinking who else we could've given a go I'm this series. There was a fair bit of talk about Jake Libby, Tom Haines et al a couple of years ago.

Tom Lammonby seems to have rediscovered his Bob Willis trophy form, albeit not opening.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Just thinking who else we could've given a go I'm this series. There was a fair bit of talk about Jake Libby, Tom Haines et al a couple of years ago.

Tom Lammonby seems to have rediscovered his Bob Willis trophy form, albeit not opening.
I would have a lot of time for noted cricsim member Jake Libby.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a bit of grass on the wicket and I just want to give our attack the best chance to get into the Australian batting lineup.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Pope should not be getting groomed for captaincy. He hasn't proven he's undroppable long term and he hardly gives off the impression of being someone you go to when the team is under the cosh.

It's a batting day, but SL bowled first due to the England top 3 being weak. That has been vindicated. Getting through the engine room is the challenge.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps Sri Lanka just fancy chasing/batting 4th. If their batting lineup clicks it is quite a strong one, and England doesn't have any world class bowlers.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
In a couple of years I suspect McKinney will be the obvious replacement.....proper Bazball opener.
He's like a left handed Crawley with his height/build and shot strengths.

He didn't have a good season last year for the U19s or Durham. What a season he's had this year though.

His century last week against Notts was sublime on his Division One debut too.

Unfortunately missed his ton in the One Day Cup, but had other good knocks in the tournament.

Then had a good time against Sri Lanka in the Lions game, made 60 odd across two knocks off like 45 balls or something.