• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Stone was rapid but injuries have slowed him down

Saw him bowl recently in The Hundred and he looked as stiff as a board so wasn’t surprised to hear that he’s had screws inserted in his back
Let's hope that with a little more game time/overs under his belt that he is better, but he didn't go well in the championship round just gone from what I saw.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Can't believe they forced Anderson to retire, especially with the English bowlers being injury pone.
IMO even at 42 he was still there best bowler, but they were looking ahead to the ashes in a year and half away and he couldn't guarantee that he would still be playing then.
But this is the world Test championship, you should pick the best bowlers to win each test........ not worry about a tour at the end of next year.
Don’t think England are really bothered about the WTC tbf. Did some totting up, if England win all their remaining 8 Tests of this cycle without any over rate deductions, they’d end up with a points percentage of 62.5, which is what Australia are on now with a 5 Test home series against India and a 2 Test (boring!) tour to Sri Lanka. Unlikely I’d say, far from guaranteed even if we win all those games

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think we should change Vishwa Fernando for Kasun Rajitha and Nissanka to come in for Madushka

That would be my 2 changes
Is this a technical change or a form call for you? No doubt Sri Lanka need a better top order effort than 6/3 and 1/2 but a change in personnel isn't always the answer when neither option has much red ball in England on their CV.

Migara

International Coach
Is this a technical change or a form call for you? No doubt Sri Lanka need a better top order effort than 6/3 and 1/2 but a change in personnel isn't always the answer when neither option has much red ball in England on their CV.
Except that Nissanka is in red hot form. Ideally it is Kusal Mendis that has to go.

I would have my top 7 as
DK
Nissanka
DDS
Chandimal
Mathews
Kamindu
Samarawickrama (wk)

DDS is the best player of pace we have. Played Wood like facing a medium pacer with so much time. He needs to get in early. Mathews is struggling against newish ball, so has to come later. Chandimal is our best test batsman. He needs to be slotted at 4.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Pedigree call,

Nissanka is better than Madushka , if he's fully fit he must play.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Vishwa Fernando was definitely their weakest bowler in the first test so fair enough.

The main thing they've got to do with the ball is use Jayasuriya better and not have him bowl outside leg all day.

Nora

Cricket Spectator
England have named their Test squad for Sri Lanka later this month: - Zak Crawley (finger), Dillon Pennington (hammy) ruled out injured - Dan Lawrence to open batting - Jordan Cox receives first Test call. Is spare bat - Olly Stone back after three years Otherwise as you were

Feel for Pennington who perhaps should have got a go against the Windies, but I’m sure he’ll get a go in the near future
It’s a big chance for Dan Lawrence to open the batting, and it’s great to see Jordan Cox getting his first Test call. I’m glad Olly Stone is back after three years. It’s unfortunate for Pennington, who might have deserved a chance against the Windies, but I’m sure he’ll get an opportunity soon.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I'd love for him to prove me wrong but why is Kumara ahead of Rajitha in the pecking order? Yeah he has pace but I've seen way too many Tests were he just goes the distance or gets a niggle.

Molehill

International Captain
What's the excitement level like over there for the impending start of this engrossing match up?
I've had 3 different whatsapps in the last week from people offering me tickets.....it's a tough sell if you can't go, think there's plenty of availability.

Anyway, I'm excited. SL showed they're competitive in the First Test and we should see some decent cricket. But this Summer, sandwiched between an Ashes and India Tour, competing with the Euros and Olympics was always going to be a hard sell.

I'm considerably more excited for this than the pointless Limited Overs Tour from your mob in September.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I've had 3 different whatsapps in the last week from people offering me tickets.....it's a tough sell if you can't go, think there's plenty of availability.

Anyway, I'm excited. SL showed they're competitive in the First Test and we should see some decent cricket. But this Summer, sandwiched between an Ashes and India Tour, competing with the Euros and Olympics was always going to be a hard sell.

I'm considerably more excited for this than the pointless Limited Overs Tour from your mob in September.
I think it is the Sky TV deal that requires them to have Aussies over for said pointless tour every couple of years or so. Pays the bills for both. I will probably not find myself watching too much of that.

It has been rightfully pointed out that Sri Lanka haven't actually lost a London test match since 1991. They've had a load of roads at Lord's that their batting has found easier to handle than elsewhere and of course the Kennington by Galle pitch produced in 1998., their only win. Cooler in London over the next few days but dry. I'm off to the Saturday of the Oval test. Too many things on to go up to Lord's though.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
I think it is the Sky TV deal that requires them to have Aussies over for said pointless tour every couple of years or so. Pays the bills for both. I will probably not find myself watching too much of that.

It has been rightfully pointed out that Sri Lanka haven't actually lost a London test match since 1991. They've had a load of roads at Lord's that their batting has found easier to handle than elsewhere and of course the Kennington by Galle pitch produced in 1998., their only win Cooler in London over the next few days but dry. I'm off to the Saturday of the Oval test. Too many things on to go up to Lord's though.
I was at Day 2 in 1998, memorable for the fact that loads of people had seemingly backed England to effectively be 9 down at Tea (14-1), which required Gus Fraser to bat out an extra half hour, which he did. That final ball before Tea was one of the biggest celebrations I'd seen in years!! He was out straight after, then Jaya smacked it around for a day and England managed to lose trying to block for a day and a half. Gotta love 90's cricket.

What a scorecard, especially the balls faced in the 2nd innings by Ramps and Goughie!!