• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
There hasnt been much mention of Lawrence as opener. To me he did a very good impression of Crawley,
even down to the way he got out in both innings, although hes a few inches shorter and his father isnt a millionaire.

So likely England XI is?

Lawrence
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Smith
Woakes
Atkinson
Stone
Potts
Bashir

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
There hasnt been much mention of Lawrence as opener. To me he did a very good impression of Crawley,
even down to the way he got out in both innings, although hes a few inches shorter and his father isnt a millionaire.

So likely England XI is?

Lawrence
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Smith
Woakes
Atkinson
Stone
Potts
Bashir
Feel for him, the top 7 looks very set barring injuries now. Ultimately, he did the first job of being an opener by getting in, which is very commendable for such an inexperienced opener, but once he did get in he might feel annoyed with himself that he didn’t kick on (especially in the first innings with that tentative poke behind) because you feel unless he really makes hay in the next two Tests, he’ll go back to being the best drink-carrier in the country. Think the squad for the next Test picks itself, we’ll probably see Potts at #9 again but that’s a very minor quibble!

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Feel for him, the top 7 looks very set barring injuries now. Ultimately, he did the first job of being an opener by getting in, which is very commendable for such an inexperienced opener, but once he did get in he might feel annoyed with himself that he didn’t kick on (especially in the first innings with that tentative poke behind) because you feel unless he really makes hay in the next two Tests, he’ll go back to being the best drink-carrier in the country. Think the squad for the next Test picks itself, we’ll probably see Potts at #9 again but that’s a very minor quibble!
I thought he did ok in the game just gone, despite not looking very convincing. I'm not quite sure I see a true test cricketer there based on his previous appearances. England ought to be looking at prospects for opener as much as anywhere else. I see that Olly Stone is playing on Thursday. Can't say I'm convinced with this. Rather too injury prone and I'm not sure I've seen him bowl that quickly in the last couple of years. Grateful if anyone has seen a bit more and can comment?

FBU

International Debutant
The thing I like the most about the Stokes era is the team is announced a day or two in advance. Don't have to wait for the toss.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
I thought he did ok in the game just gone, despite not looking very convincing. I'm not quite sure I see a true test cricketer there based on his previous appearances. England ought to be looking at prospects for opener as much as anywhere else. I see that Olly Stone is playing on Thursday. Can't say I'm convinced with this. Rather too injury prone and I'm not sure I've seen him bowl that quickly in the last couple of years. Grateful if anyone has seen a bit more and can comment?
I guess there aren’t many openers kicking down the door to be selected who haven’t already had a go. As for Stone, he’s more the faster end of fast-medium (like Atkinson and Tongue), but there aren’t many bowlers in England who are comparable in pace to Wood who aren’t injured!

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I guess there aren’t many openers kicking down the door to be selected who haven’t already had a go. As for Stone, he’s more the faster end of fast-medium (like Atkinson and Tongue), but there aren’t many bowlers in England who are comparable in pace to Wood who aren’t injured!
Re the openers, that's a fair point. I remember that Stone looked quite sharp 3 or more years ago in the last but one India tour, when he played just one test, but he's been injured for much of the time since!

Howe_zat

Audio File
CRW also scored his unbeaten ton at Lord's which gives him probably the best ever allround record at the venue.

1724767029722.png

You could also make a case for Glenn McGrath, who in between clapping England repeatedly with the ball (26 wickets at 11.5, 3 five-fors) managed to accumulate 30 runs without a dismissal.

Big_Gun

Cricket Spectator
Can't believe they forced Anderson to retire, especially with the English bowlers being injury pone.
IMO even at 42 he was still there best bowler, but they were looking ahead to the ashes in a year and half away and he couldn't guarantee that he would still be playing then.
But this is the world Test championship, you should pick the best bowlers to win each test........ not worry about a tour at the end of next year.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Can't believe they forced Anderson to retire, especially with the English bowlers being injury pone.
IMO even at 42 he was still there best bowler, but they were looking ahead to the ashes in a year and half away and he couldn't guarantee that he would still be playing then.
But this is the world Test championship, you should pick the best bowlers to win each test........ not worry about a tour at the end of next year.
look i think we can all agree its very important england focus on which 16-17 players they will be taking to australia next year to lose 4-0. that way they can start planning for who will replace those who drop their pants on that tour in 2026.

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
CRW also scored his unbeaten ton at Lord's which gives him probably the best ever allround record at the venue.

View attachment 41432

You could also make a case for Glenn McGrath, who in between clapping England repeatedly with the ball (26 wickets at 11.5, 3 five-fors) managed to accumulate 30 runs without a dismissal.
I hope Woakes can live up to those figures, cos with all these injuries/absences we're gonna need him to be top notch.

Anderson at Lords 29 matches [is that the most by anyone?] 123 wkts at 24.81 7x fivefors

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Re the openers, that's a fair point. I remember that Stone looked quite sharp 3 or more years ago in the last but one India tour, when he played just one test, but he's been injured for much of the time since!
Stone was rapid but injuries have slowed him down

Saw him bowl recently in The Hundred and he looked as stiff as a board so wasn’t surprised to hear that he’s had screws inserted in his back

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
I hope Woakes can live up to those figures, cos with all these injuries/absences we're gonna need him to be top notch.

Anderson at Lords 29 matches [is that the most by anyone?] 123 wkts at 24.81 7x fivefors
Woakes with games/overs under his belt and playing at Lords has been about as good as it gets. He didn't get the new ball either for most of those games.

Atkinson was also red hot at Lords earlier in the summer!

chris.hinton

International Captain
Glad that Olly Stone is playing. If fit i believe he's better than Mark Wood and will be vital for England in the next 18 months to 2 years. Will be interesting to see how he will do in the 2nd test.