• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Lol okay I'm not even going to bother with this conversation then.
Obviously it depends on your definition of world class, for me its being in the top 5 players in a position within world football.

The big thing that stands out on all those Arsenal players CVs is the lack of major silverware, which makes them hard to make a case for. I'm happy to concede on Saliba.... he is that good (we're comparing him to VVD, Rudiger, Bastoni, Tah, Diaz etc so there may be some who disagree).

Walker might be a contentious one but I think even most City fans would admit he's fallen away over the last 12 months. On his day he's still in the elite RBs but time is catching up with him and his pace is about all he has. For me that position has Trent, Dumfries, Kimmich, Frimpong, Hakimi, Carvajal - you will have a hard time arguing for White over any of those, including Walker.

Saka is another interesting one, his numbers are great and I think he's probably the closest... again though, he's up against Salah, Rodrygo, Mbappe, Sane, Yamal and Valverde, just to name a few.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
I do actually agree with you on how you define wc, I always use the top 4 players in a position to be the benchmark so simular to your top 5. However for positions where there are normally 2 per xi ( centre backs or non defensive centre midfielders) I increase it to top 8.
Ben White has been the most consistent player I've seen at arsenal in years, he never makes mistakes, plays every game, creates a lot more going forward than people realise and is strong as they come.
Saka I've no idea why you are comparing him with mbappe as they play in different positions. Yamal has he really done anything that saka hasn't? He scores 20 goals a year for 3 years running now and creats more than most. He's output is on the same level as Salah. I thought I was actually being very balanced by leaving Gabriel and rice out the wc list. And odergaard I'm biased as I see him live whereas foden I don't. They are very close to eachother though they don't play they same position

Tom Flint

International Regular
Trent I don't get, good player but this time last year he had been on a run of about 10 games where he was a fault for pretty much a goal a game?

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
I do actually agree with you on how you define wc, I always use the top 4 players in a position to be the benchmark so simular to your top 5. However for positions where there are normally 2 per xi ( centre backs or non defensive centre midfielders) I increase it to top 8.
Ben White has been the most consistent player I've seen at arsenal in years, he never makes mistakes, plays every game, creates a lot more going forward than people realise and is strong as they come.
Saka I've no idea why you are comparing him with mbappe as they play in different positions. Yamal has he really done anything that saka hasn't? He scores 20 goals a year for 3 years running now and creats more than most. He's output is on the same level as Salah. I thought I was actually being very balanced by leaving Gabriel and rice out the wc list. And odergaard I'm biased as I see him live whereas foden I don't. They are very close to eachother though they don't play they same position
These are the sort of statements I think Arsenal fans go overboard with and why it's hard to agree.
Last 3 seasons (European Comps + Prem)
Salah : 23 g, 14a / 27g, 14a/ 31g, 15a = 81g, 60a
Saka: 20g, 13a / 15g, 11a, 11g , 7a = 46g, 31a

I really rate Gabriel, I thought he was your best CB last season but probably needs another 12 months without making the big errors he's been known for. Odegaard will certainly be world class sooner rather than later so its a bit of a mute point.

Rice is a bit of an odd one because he's not really a 6. I think the most telling thing against Rice is that every time Arteta came up against a big side last season he reverted Jorginho to play that role.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Im not getting drawn into a discussion on anything else but that’s just a reflection on how to balance the team rather than a reflection on Rice. If Rice was being left out for Jorginho you’d have a point but that obviously wasn’t the case lol.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yeah Salah for me is still the best right sided forward in the world so I'm not putting saka at a level above him.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Im not getting drawn into a discussion on anything else but that’s just a reflection on how to balance the team rather than a reflection on Rice. If Rice was being left out for Jorginho you’d have a point but that obviously wasn’t the case lol.
I don't know too many world class players that move out of such a crucial position just to suit the team balance.

Certainly not something you would have seen Busquets or the top tier elite 6's doing.

Jarquis

I don't know too many world class players that move out of such a crucial position just to suit the team balance.

Certainly not something you would have seen Busquets or the top tier elite 6's doing.
Yeah but that’s because he was playing with Iniesta and Xavi and the decision wasn’t about whether you pick Jorginho or Eddie Nketiah :laugh:

Im quite comfortable with the fact that Arteta doesn’t pick his teams with your opinion in mind and I’m not sure how Rice’s versatility and being great in two roles is somehow being twisted as a negative but you do you boo.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Yeah but that’s because he was playing with Iniesta and Xavi and the decision wasn’t about whether you pick Jorginho or Eddie Nketiah :laugh:

Im quite comfortable with the fact that Arteta doesn’t pick his teams with your opinion in mind and I’m not sure how Rice’s versatility and being great in two roles is somehow being twisted as a negative but you do you boo.
I never said it was a negative, I just think he's a better 8 than he is a 6. He's very good at both, the debate at hand was whether he is world class. Before you make it sound like Nketiah was part of the decision lets not forget the same Arteta signed Havertz to play that position in midfield.

You can argue its balance and that's fine. Fortunately we will find out shortly now that you've signed an 8 to play on that left side.

Jarquis

I never said it was a negative, I just think he's a better 8 than he is a 6. He's very good at both, the debate at hand was whether he is world class. Before you make it sound like Nketiah was part of the decision lets not forget the same Arteta signed Havertz to play that position in midfield.

You can argue its balance and that's fine. Fortunately we will find out shortly now that you've signed an 8 to play on that left side.
Yeah, you’re right. Arteta never foresaw Havertz playing up top. Gubbins. Not sure how Nketiah wasn’t part of the decision when, ummm, that was the exact decision?

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, you’re right. Arteta never foresaw Havertz playing up top. Gubbins. Not sure how Nketiah wasn’t part of the decision when, ummm, that was the exact decision?
Arteta's exact quote at the time of the signing was "He will bring a huge amount of extra strength to our midfield and variety to our play".

16 of 17 prem games to start last season where was he?... left sided centre mid.
Outside of 1 game against City it wasn't until February this year that he played up top in the prem.

I don't think I need to remind you where Partey started last season before his injury either. It wasn't as if Arteta planned on his RB shifting into DM so Rice could then go to the left side.

Arteta thought he could convert Havertz to being a midfielder and was wrong. Not sure why some fans act as if it was some kind of master plan all along. He's corrected it now with Merino.

Jarquis

Arteta's exact quote at the time of the signing was "He will bring a huge amount of extra strength to our midfield and variety to our play".

16 of 17 prem games to start last season where was he?... left sided centre mid.
Outside of 1 game against City it wasn't until February this year that he played up top in the prem.

I don't think I need to remind you where Partey started last season before his injury either. It wasn't as if Arteta planned on his RB shifting into DM so Rice could then go to the left side.

Arteta thought he could convert Havertz to being a midfielder and was wrong. Not sure why some fans act as if it was some kind of master plan all along. He's corrected it now with Merino.
You wanna post the full quote brother?
“Kai is a player of top quality," he said. "He has great versatility and is an intelligent player. He will bring a huge amount of extra strength to our midfield and variety to our play.”
lol.

Arteta thought Havertz could offer something in midfield - he can, does and will.

anyway, let’s go back to you being a massive hypocrite because Rice isn’t WC because he gets move from 6 to 8 but Trent somehow is because ‘reasons’

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
You wanna post the full quote brother?
“Kai is a player of top quality," he said. "He has great versatility and is an intelligent player. He will bring a huge amount of extra strength to our midfield and variety to our play.”
lol.

Arteta thought Havertz could offer something in midfield - he can, does and will.

anyway, let’s go back to you being a massive hypocrite because Rice isn’t WC because he gets move from 6 to 8 but Trent somehow is because ‘reasons’
I genuinely didn't think the rest of the quote was relevant but thanks for sharing - not sure what it added.

He can, does and will offer so much in midfield that after moving him out of the position, Arteta then goes and signs one of Europe's best to play the role instead. Interesting.

I can't help you if you dont see Trent's qualities. It says it all that Madrid are pursuing him as hard as they are. I'm sure your tune will change when they get him and he's lifting trophies at the Bernabeu every season.