• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Hundred could be scrapped

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Im generally the same in regards to franchise stuff. I'll occasionally check the scorecards after or during the game if I'm awake, but I won't watch it unless it's the BBL, and I only watch the BBL for the "it's so bad, it's almost good and funny" vibes.
Can't think you have much reason to set your alarm clock for a weird time to watch anything else in different parts of the world.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
The franchise stuff everywhere apart from the big few is starting to feel like those candy shops that pop in London. Starting to wonder if it isn't some kinda money laundering thing

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I heard on the radio this morning that the Trophy has gone to Surrey for the second year in a row. Surprised they haven't won the Blast and the One Day as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I heard on the radio this morning that the Trophy has gone to Surrey for the second year in a row. Surprised they haven't won the Blast and the One Day as well.
You could argue that we've underachieved in The Blast given the players at our disposal. The 50 over cup is a different matter due to the large number of players that are unavailable due to The 100.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
How many IPL teams are there? WIll they bid against eachother or carve it up so that they can buy a franchise each from the ECB?

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Im generally the same in regards to franchise stuff. I'll occasionally check the scorecards after or during the game if I'm awake, but I won't watch it unless it's the BBL, and I only watch the BBL for the "it's so bad, it's almost good and funny" vibes.
For me it is the fluidity and transience of franchise cricket that puts me off it - the creation of new teams and the continual mixing up of the players, who are together for only a short period before going off to play for other teams. In that, it is different from other sports where, while players are mobile, they represent only one team at a time. Unlike @Chin Music though this does not diminish my affection for the game. I enjoyed the One Day Cup thoroughly, despite the loss of players to the Hundred.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
For me it is the fluidity and transience of franchise cricket that puts me off it - the creation of new teams and the continual mixing up of the players, who are together for only a short period before going off to play for other teams. In that, it is different from other sports where, while players are mobile, they represent only one team at a time. Unlike @Chin Music though this does not diminish my affection for the game. I enjoyed the One Day Cup thoroughly, despite the loss of players to the Hundred.
The ECB version of franchise cricket has being going four years.
Yet Pat Brown, Tom Banton, Ross Whiteley, Laurie Evans, Jordan Thompson, Tom Kohler Cadmore, Sam Hain, Roelef VD Merwe have played for 3 franchises - the best v the best, highly sort after match winners or journeymen payouts?
Only two of those who played for the Lancashire franchise in the first year played for them this year.

kevinw

International 12th Man

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose this is why they split off from the t20 blast. Didn’t want to mass sell out the counties (with the exception being Hampshire).

Ali TT

International Regular
I did watch some of the game last night and was pleased to see Saqib Mahmood play again after a horrific couple of years. Good luck to the fella. I hope he gets his career back on track.

This is definitely just my own personal opinion, but I find all franchise cricket much of a muchness. I can watch a few games here and there of IPL and the Big Bash, but I can't maintain my interest. Heck, I was even in Mumbai for the start of the IPL and the hotels were showing the games on the big screen there, and there I was with a beer in my hand...

However, after a few games in, I couldn't be bothered and I didn't much watch it after returning home to London. Then again, I think I am far less of a cricket fan than I was say a dozen years ago. For me, the franchise stuff has knocked the stuffing out of the game as a whole. International cricket, the test match game especially, is dying on its' a**e. I loved going to the Oval test match last year, and there is still a buzz when it is Australia/India there, but everyone else coming here, regardless of how well they do, are almost being told you should be grateful to us that we are inviting you here to tide you over financially. The Windies series was a case in point, turn up a week before, have a pointless 3 day practice match, get rolled and go home and thankful you were invited.
Part of the problem for me is that this proliferation of "fast cricket" has coincided with me having a family and **** all spare time to watch as much sport as before. About a decade ago there were a few years that I got into the ipl and would even watch a few bbl games when on over Christmas. No chance now and these leagues last such a short time that before I've had chance to see what's going on they're all but over - I watched quite a bit of Olympics this year and by the time that was over the Hundred was nearly done.

I think I'd rather the IPL was a global league that had stopovers in the major countries for a few weeks every so often plus it's three month window in India in the spring, rather than the different leagues.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Part of the problem for me is that this proliferation of "fast cricket" has coincided with me having a family and **** all spare time to watch as much sport as before. About a decade ago there were a few years that I got into the ipl and would even watch a few bbl games when on over Christmas. No chance now and these leagues last such a short time that before I've had chance to see what's going on they're all but over - I watched quite a bit of Olympics this year and by the time that was over the Hundred was nearly done.

I think I'd rather the IPL was a global league that had stopovers in the major countries for a few weeks every so often plus it's three month window in India in the spring, rather than the different leagues.
There's a case for that. I find it hard to begrudge, as I have said before, players from non "big 3" countries from filling their boots financially if they are going to receive a relative pittance for playing international cricket. That said, it doesn't make me want to watch any more of the various leagues. It is a little like football having lucrative 5 a side leagues full of some of the best players and full of great tekkers and drag backs and lots of goal scored. But utterly lacking in any context compared to the real game.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
However, after a few games in, I couldn't be bothered and I didn't much watch it after returning home to London. Then again, I think I am far less of a cricket fan than I was say a dozen years ago. For me, the franchise stuff has knocked the stuffing out of the game as a whole. International cricket, the test match game especially, is dying on its' a**e. I loved going to the Oval test match last year, and there is still a buzz when it is Australia/India there, but everyone else coming here, regardless of how well they do, are almost being told you should be grateful to us that we are inviting you here to tide you over financially. The Windies series was a case in point, turn up a week before, have a pointless 3 day practice match, get rolled and go home and thankful you were invited.
Yeah I feel largely the same, albeit in a shorter space of time.

I enjoyed T20 as a concept early on and watched early seasons of the BBL fairly regularly. But at a certain stage the limitations of the format became too prevalent for me. I don't mind going to the odd BBL match but as a TV event I haven't watched a match since pre-COVID.

But the bigger issue is, as you say, it has knocked the stuffing out of international cricket. I thought the various T20 leagues could co-exist fine with international Tests/ODIs but it feels like a tipping point has been reached in the past couple of years.

truthteller99

Cricket Spectator
Id scrap the hundred immediatey. Its a nonsense and doing mor damage than good. especially to the counties left out. and it steals all the hype from the county game
Get the t20 back and get all the county sides involved end of.
If they want the women to play back to back games with the men thats fine theres time
By all means have the music and fancy pyjamas...But the t20 is the shortest format cricket should ever go to
the hundred is a step too far and frankly makes a farce of our great game.
I want to see the county game and the t20 and 50 over and county game hyped and promoted.
By all means bring some stars over for them if available

howitzer

State Captain
Id scrap the hundred immediatey. Its a nonsense and doing mor damage than good. especially to the counties left out. and it steals all the hype from the county game
Get the t20 back and get all the county sides involved end of.
If they want the women to play back to back games with the men thats fine theres time
By all means have the music and fancy pyjamas...But the t20 is the shortest format cricket should ever go to
the hundred is a step too far and frankly makes a farce of our great game.
I want to see the county game and the t20 and 50 over and county game hyped and promoted.
By all means bring some stars over for them if available
I think 'the twelve' would be magnificent and would bring a whole new generation to the game. :ph34r:

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Sounds like each of the IPL sides has their eye on a specific Hundred team - Rajasthan want to invest in Yorkshire so will try to buy the Superchargers, whilst Delhi are looking to buy Hampshire so will go for the Brave - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/a...ed-teams-minority-stake-cricket-london-spirit
Just seen this on twitter: Yorkshire subject of £50m takeover bid from Sunrisers Hyderabad after talks with Rajasthan Royals stall.

How did we end up selling or trying to sell a couple of our top clubs (Hampshire and assuming Yorkshire still fit in that category) and give away the best month of summer to an international rival?

What happens if the IPL franchises decide between them to use the ECB's brainchild as an extended net and field 'development' teams?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Just seen this on twitter: Yorkshire subject of £50m takeover bid from Sunrisers Hyderabad after talks with Rajasthan Royals stall.

How did we end up selling or trying to sell a couple of our top clubs (Hampshire and assuming Yorkshire still fit in that category) and give away the best month of summer to an international rival?

What happens if the IPL franchises decide between them to use the ECB's brainchild as an extended net and field 'development' teams?
Then English Cricket will be dead as we know it