• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lankan Cricket Updates

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
@slcricfan1 @Migara @Himannv

Thoughts on SL test squad to England?
Squad is alright from a batting perspective - there's a good enough mix there to select a solid starting lineup from. Mathews and Dimuth are getting on a bit in my view so maybe having a few more younger players in the squad might be good. More players like Madushka and Kamindu Mendis really.

The bowling is a minor concern as usual - we've struggled for consistency in selection for away games due to injuries and stuff. I don't have a big concern with the options available but I'd have liked a few younger players coming in instead of someone like Tharaka.

Silver Silva

International Regular
I feel we should go conservative for the first test ..

I don't think Prabath Jayasuriya will be a threat at Old Trafford , I'd rely on Kamindu Mendis and DDS to bowl spin with 3 seamer + Mathews if he's up to bowling ..

This would be my XI :

1.Karunaratne
2.Madushka
3.Nissanka
4.Mathews
5.Chandimal
6.Kamindu Mendis
7.Kusal Mendis (WK)
8.Dhananjaya De Silva
9.Asitha Fernando
10 Vishwa Fernando
11.Kasun Rajitha

Silver Silva

International Regular
Last edited:

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
I feel we should go conservative for the first test ..

I don't think Prabath Jayasuriya will be a threat at Old Trafford , I'd rely on Kamindu Mendis and DDS to bowl spin with 3 seamer + Mathews if he's up to bowling ..

This would be my XI :

1.Karunaratne
2.Madushka
3.Nissanka
4.Mathews
5.Chandimal
6.Kamindu Mendis
7.Kusal Mendis (WK)
8.Dhananjaya De Silva
9.Asitha Fernando
10 Vishwa Fernando
11.Kasun Rajitha
I'll go a bit more aggressive and field something like this personally:

1. Nissanka
2. Madushka
3. Kusal Mendis+
4. Mathews
5. Chandimal
6. Dhananjaya De Silva*
7. Kamindu Mendis
8. Prabath Jayasuriya
9. Asitha Fernando
10. Vishwa Fernando
11. Lahiru Kumara

3 pacers + Mathews
1 spinner +Kamindu and DDS
Batsmen or batting allrounders down to 7
Bowling allrounder at 8

Silver Silva

International Regular
I'll go a bit more aggressive and field something like this personally:

1. Nissanka
2. Madushka
3. Kusal Mendis+
4. Mathews
5. Chandimal
6. Dhananjaya De Silva*
7. Kamindu Mendis
8. Prabath Jayasuriya
9. Asitha Fernando
10. Vishwa Fernando
11. Lahiru Kumara

3 pacers + Mathews
1 spinner +Kamindu and DDS
Batsmen or batting allrounders down to 7
Bowling allrounder at 8
Do you think Kusal can handle keeping wicket and batting no.3 long-term? Feel it's a compromise but we can't drop any of the top
7 bar Madushka maybe ..so your combination will work ..Long tail is a worry for me

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Do you think Kusal can handle keeping wicket and batting no.3 long-term? Feel it's a compromise but we can't drop any of the top
7 bar Madushka maybe ..so your combination will work ..Long tail is a worry for me
Jayasuriya is quite decent with the bat and has worked on trying to be a better no 8 - we should back him IMO.

Regarding Kusal, for now I'd just let him bat at 3 as that's where he's at his best. When Mathews retires, Samarawickreme can come in and take the gloves off him. So it's a short term situation for him in Tests. That's my thinking anyway.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Jayasuriya is quite decent with the bat and has worked on trying to be a better no 8 - we should back him IMO.

Regarding Kusal, for now I'd just let him bat at 3 as that's where he's at his best. When Mathews retires, Samarawickreme can come in and take the gloves off him. So it's a short term situation for him in Tests. That's my thinking anyway.
We won in 2014 with a less talented bowling attack than the one we are taking on this tour, the English are there for the taking if we can put runs on the board.