• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming you're referring to boxing, this is the main reason I struggle to get into the sport.
Actually, it would work for boxing too, but I was referring to the judo.

I am sure it is entertaining at times, and we only gave it two bouts, but they weren't overly exciting.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
I don't quite understand how they didn't qualify given that 12 teams were in it and they would clearly be one of the best 12. Is it more to do with the fact they don't play as GB in the Sevens League but as individual nations?
Qualification was:

• France as hosts
  • Top 4 ranked sevens teams (Australia, NZ, Fiji and Argentina)
  • Winners of continental competitions (we lost to Ireland in the final of the European one)
  • A final chance tournament where the winner gets in (we lost to South Africa)
There's definitely teams that qualified who we are better than, but ultimately the Olympics is set up more as a celebration of all countries rather than just the top X number.

It wouldn't surprise me if 5 or 6 of the top all around gymnasts in the world could come from the US, but it's more interesting having some sort of limits imo

Ali TT

International Regular
Odd format in the BMX freestyle with a qualification round that whittles 12 riders to 9. Either let a few more competitors in or put everyone through to the final.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure it's been picked up by the BBC yet, but Emma Wilson is currently running away with the Women's Windsurfing having had two 1st and two 2nd from the first 4 races.

The Men's version is wide open with anyone from about 12 still having a chance to win it, and having just watched a race, the lottery of the start seems absolutely key to finishing positions.

Ali TT

International Regular
Odd format in the BMX freestyle with a qualification round that whittles 12 riders to 9. Either let a few more competitors in or put everyone through to the final.
Defending champ Charlotte Worthington comes up short though, disappointing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure it's been picked up by the BBC yet, but Emma Wilson is currently running away with the Women's Windsurfing having had two 1st and two 2nd from the first 4 races.

The Men's version is wide open with anyone from about 12 still having a chance to win it, and having just watched a race, the lottery of the start seems absolutely key to finishing positions.
Windsurfing is an odd one as it used to be incredibly popular here but rarely see them these days

Kite surfing & things on foils have replaced them

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those foil boards are crazy expensive. Apparently really hard to ride too. Look like a ton of fun though.

Ali TT

International Regular
Man, how GB lost their 5-8 playoff match to China in the Sevens is embarrassing. Not sure we actually sent a rugby team out there, just selected whatever athletes and team members were at a loose end in the village yesterday to go play.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nervy first half from NZ (but USA have been pretty good tbf). Hoping we can pull away in the second.