• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Sport/Event in the 2024 Olympics - submissions

Molehill

International Captain
As for the 'non-pinnacle' argument...how many sports have the Olympics as the unarguable pinnacle of the sport?

Even for sports like athletics and swimming, they have their own World Championships. I wonder if someone like Colin Jackson, who was a double world champion (and set a world record in doing so in 1993) would have given up Stuttgart 1993 for a gold either the year previously in Barcelona, or at Atlanta in 1996.
I think the first World Athletics Championships was in 1983, so it's well out-dated by the Olympics. I don't think there's any doubt that the pinnacle for Track and Field is the Olympics.

Ali TT

International Regular
As for the 'non-pinnacle' argument...how many sports have the Olympics as the unarguable pinnacle of the sport?

Even for sports like athletics and swimming, they have their own World Championships. I wonder if someone like Colin Jackson, who was a double world champion (and set a world record in doing so in 1993) would have given up Stuttgart 1993 for a gold either the year previously in Barcelona, or at Atlanta in 1996.
I think even in athletics, the global exposure is higher in the Olympics than the worlds, although it's closer than in other sports. Basketball is an interesting one - the Olympics is by far the biggest national tournament but us dwarved by the NBA. I don't know the deal with sports like handball or water polo, which have little following in the UK but are big in elsewhere.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I agree with all of this except the idea that there's any pressing need to control the number of sports at the Olympics anyway. Within logistical reason, just throw the doors open IMO. If it's established enough to have genuine elite level competition at an international level and it isn't a team sport with established mainstream prestige events already then it belongs in the Olympics.
Pokemon in the olympics y/n?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think if you asked any of the athletes they'd definitely pick Olympic gold over world championship gold in all of the athletic events (and pretty much everything else other than football/golf/tennis).

The only other one that stands out is road cycling. People want to win an Olympic medal but it's definitely less prestigious than the TdF and probably the world championships
I suppose only being every 4 years as opposed to 2 years make an Olympic Gold in athletics more valuable because of it's comparative rarity. Someone like Bolt had 6 goes at the Worlds as opposed to 3 at the Olympics.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I became aware recently that between 1928 and 1948 that Town Planning was an Olympic event. Not strictly relevant to this thread, but.
Maybe they should have kept it up after 1948 and avoided the ****ing disaster that post-war town planning became.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Played Gen 5 while it was current gen. Continued and played gen 6 for a bit as a current gen, and started to really enjoy it but then went on a hiatus.

When I came back I became a Gen 2 only player, and I absolutely loved it, and felt competitive with pretty much anyone I could face. And then have been on hiatus for over 3 years now, lol.

Edit: All OU formats, btw.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Played Gen 5 while it was current gen. Continued and played gen 6 for a bit as a current gen, and started to really enjoy it but then went on a hiatus.

When I came back I became a Gen 2 only player, and I absolutely loved it, and felt competitive with pretty much anyone I could face. And then have been on hiatus for over 3 years now, lol.

Edit: All OU formats, btw.
I could never get into competitive pokemon. Worrying about EVs/IVs and all the tactics just ruins it for me

I'll stick with solo running the games with my starter thanks