• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Were dead rubber tests a real thing?

subshakerz

International Coach
Back when Aus for dominant under Taylor and Waugh, their lack of performance in dead rubber tests became an issue. Was this a real phenomenon or merely a matter of teams adapting late?

Also, should performances in those tests be given the same merit as those in live games?

Coronis

International Coach
Back when Aus for dominant under Taylor and Waugh, their lack of performance in dead rubber tests became an issue. Was this a real phenomenon or merely a matter of teams adapting late?

Also, should performances in those tests be given the same merit as those in live games?
Yes imo. The only differences between any tests I would say should be extra props for being clutch in a series decider, or even the WTC final.

Also bring back timeless tests for drawn series going into a decider.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes imo. The only differences between any tests I would say should be extra props for being clutch in a series decider, or even the WTC final.

Not sure if serious?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

A bit of both. There's usually going to be some laziness creep in when a series is dead. The Aussie teams did it a lot. I remember a 7-game 2003 ODI series in the West Indies they won it 4-0 without much challenge then casually dropped the last 3 games making the scoreline 4-3

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
100% serious. Only for series that are like already say 2-2 or 1-1 or 0-0 going into the final test. Not for example if someone leads 2-1 or 1-0 and the other team can still win and draw the series.
I'll get to the absolute absurdity of your idea next but I don't even follow your rationale here?

So if the Ashes is 2-2 or 1-1 going into the 5th test you want to play a timeless test? Why?....to ensure there is a result? But if it's 2-1 going into the 5th your happy to potentially end up with a 2-2 drawn series?

I may well be missing something but I dont get it?

Coronis

International Coach
I'll get to the absolute absurdity of your idea next but I don't even follow your rationale here?

So if the Ashes is 2-2 or 1-1 going into the 5th test you want to play a timeless test? Why?....to ensure there is a result? But if it's 2-1 going into the 5th your happy to potentially end up with a 2-2 drawn series?

I may well be missing something but I dont get it?
Well two reasons. I mean ideally, I’d always want a series result but logistically it feels like those 2-1/1-0 scorelines occur too much and with the scheduling it might be difficult to accomodate all of those. Secondly, its a bit about the entertainment value too. Going into the final game 1 down you have the excitement of 1 team trying to grab that win. I feel it occurs more in the already drawn series where you have hype heading into the last game which can turn into a total bore and let down where both teams can be aiming for a draw.

Ali TT

International Regular
Well England were masters at winning at the Oval in the last match of a summer after a series was lost against lots of opposition. Made the scoreline look closer than numerous series actually were.
Not really - it happened twice in the 93 and 97 Ashes where the series was long gone. England also secured series draws by winning at the Oval against the Windies in 91 and SA in 94 but I don't think either of those matches would be classed as dead rubbers. We lost series deciders v Pakistan in 92 and 96, and v NZ in 99, plus the one off test v SL in 98. Drew v Windies in 95 and India in 90.

Coronis

International Coach
And your solution to resolve this "entertainment" issue is to dig up a format of the game that's been dead for 85 years, the players have never played.....the TV companies won't touch and people won't go to watch? ****ing genius.
I appreciate the support. Would you help me pen a letter to the ICC?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well England were masters at winning at the Oval in the last match of a summer after a series was lost against lots of opposition. Made the scoreline look closer than numerous series actually were.
iirc we did that twice against Australia; in 1993 and 1997. Not sure we ever did it against anyone else, but my memory isn't what it used to be. We also won a few dead rubber tests in Australia (although the series wasn't actually decided in two of those), which didn't seem much consolation at the time but was way preferable to what we've usually done since then.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Dead rubber Tests are still worthwhile. I don't think often teams will bring a second XI to those. And I'm not really sure how you go about playing Test cricket without intention of a good result. Seems a good way to bring about embarrassment, or worse injury to oneself.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
iirc we did that twice against Australia; in 1993 and 1997. Not sure we ever did it against anyone else, but my memory isn't what it used to be. We also won a few dead rubber tests in Australia (although the series wasn't actually decided in two of those), which didn't seem much consolation at the time but was way preferable to what we've usually done since then.
I was at the 98 test at Melbourne when we got back to 2-1 and then lost the 5th test at Sydney to lose 3-1. So in essence the series was alive after Melbourne even if the Ashes weren't. I think it was similar 4 years before where England won the 3rd of 4th test but lost the 5th. Then you had Caddick taking a load of wickets at Sydney for a consolation test in 2002/3.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

WTC Final is worth about as much as a three day warm up V Gloucestershire reserves

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was at the 98 test at Melbourne when we got back to 2-1 and then lost the 5th test at Sydney to lose 3-1. So in essence the series was alive after Melbourne even if the Ashes weren't. I think it was similar 4 years before where England won the 3rd of 4th test but lost the 5th. Then you had Caddick taking a load of wickets at Sydney for a consolation test in 2002/3.
Yup. As you say, the difference in 2002/03 was that the series was well and truly decided by then. Maybe that's why Caddick was never picked again as he'd been hopeless all the time the series was still alive.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's fine to rank performances in dead rubbers a little lower. If Lara's 153 or Laxman's 281 were made when the series was lost already, they'd rightly be rated a bit lower than they are. They're less meaningful games after all. But it would be unfair to dismiss them entirely.