• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Hedley Verity

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

sayon basak

First Class Debutant
Verity dismissed don 8 times at an average of only 50.

Still leaning towards Ashwin as he has got a much accomplished test career.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Verity dismissed don 8 times at an average of only 50.

Still leaning towards Ashwin as he has got a much accomplished test career.
Are these averages reliable ? It will only tell you the score on which a bowler has dismissed a batsman. It does not tell you the runs the batsman has scored against an individual bowler on the occasions the bowler has dismissed the batsman. Also misses out on the innings the bowler hasn't dismissed the batsman, but runs have been scored off. It is also very hard (probably impossible) to get ball by ball analysis of very old matches.

the big bambino

International Captain
Are these averages reliable ? It will only tell you the score on which a bowler has dismissed a batsman. It does not tell you the runs the batsman has scored against an individual bowler on the occasions the bowler has dismissed the batsman. Also misses out on the innings the bowler hasn't dismissed the batsman, but runs have been scored off. It is also very hard (probably impossible) to get ball by ball analysis of very old matches.
they aren't the cricinfo averages but the actual runs conceded by Verity to Bradman. he bowes and bedser had the best averages against bradman.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm not really across the Info icon as an alternative to the Like button. I mean what extra information do people want? I can tell people the amount of runs each of the main English bowlers conceded to Bradman and would dig them out if that's what posters would like. So for example Larwood's figures v Bradman are 5 wickets for 324 runs at an average of 65. The discrepancy between his bodyline average against his average when bowling normally is quite stark. When bowling bodyline his Bradman average is 29. Without it's 209. No wonder Jardine felt as if he had to do something.

the big bambino

International Captain
Must have been. I mean we've been told the human eye can't detect a bend less than that yet Hair called him and subsequent testing confirmed what he saw ...

shortpitched713

International Captain
Must have been. I mean we've been told the human eye can't detect a bend less than that yet Hair called him and subsequent testing confirmed what he saw ...
I don't give a tinker's damn what convicted thief Darrel Hair and a pack of racists within Australia's cricket establishment had to say about the legality of Murali's action.

Once the rule in the ICC was fixed to allow for an objective ruling across all players, instead of being vulnerable to subjective interpretations of racist gatekeepers, Murali's action was found to be legal, and cricket has been all the better for its reforms from the dark ages into modernity.