• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harry Brook

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brook has had the Labuschagne start to his career(after 30 tests he'd scored 10 tons and averaged 60) but he'l drop back to earth soon enough

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sold on Brook being as good as root. Still don't like how Brook plays the short ball, could get him in trouble in SA/AUS. Also, still want to see him vs spinners of ashwin/jadeja/kuldeeps quality in Asia. He's doing really well vs spin in Test right now, but he really struggled vs quality spin with the field spread in the IPL.

Molehill

International Captain
Not sold on Brook being as good as root. Still don't like how Brook plays the short ball, could get him in trouble in SA/AUS. Also, still want to see him vs spinners of ashwin/jadeja/kuldeeps quality in Asia. He's doing really well vs spin in Test right now, but he really struggled vs quality spin with the field spread in the IPL.
Root might even end up as the top runs scorer in Tests of all time, that's kind of a hard threshold to measure him against.

They're different players anyway, Brook is a creation of the modern T20 batsman and Bazball. Root is a classical Test player.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root might even end up as the top runs scorer in Tests of all time, that's kind of a hard threshold to measure him against.

They're different players anyway, Brook is a creation of the modern T20 batsman and Bazball. Root is a classical Test player.
Root will probably be in 2nd place by the end of next summer given the amount we have scheduled. All about desire then.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Completely different player, but Jonathan Trott had a fairly high average over his first 20 tests or so and then dropped back to mid 40s by the end of his career. Don't see Brook maintaining his average anywhere near his current level, given that he has to learn to play the short stuff more competently and hasn't faced India or say SA away yet.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Completely different player, but Jonathan Trott had a fairly high average over his first 20 tests or so and then dropped back to mid 40s by the end of his career. Don't see Brook maintaining his average anywhere near his current level, given that he has to learn to play the short stuff more competently and hasn't faced India or say SA away yet.
Ghilchrist is probably the best comparison. He managed to get to 45 odd tests averaging around 60 and SR around 85, but even his average ended dropping back to under 50.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He's very good, will have a 350+ run tour of Aus. No skin off my back if he doesn't lol but it's always nice to be optimistic about young players' long-term prospects.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Only has to score one ton there to be considered a better Ashes player than Anderson or Root really.
Anderson did what no Australian bowler has done since 2001, bowled his side to an away Ashes series win. Guess that doesn't count. Nor his matchwinning performances in home Ashes Tests.

And don't get me started on Joe Root. Played on different tracks to everyone else in the three games England won in 2015 in a series we won 3-2, for example.

Drivel I'm afraid. Try harder.

Coronis

International Coach
Anderson did what no Australian bowler has done since 2001, bowled his side to an away Ashes series win. Guess that doesn't count. Nor his matchwinning performances in home Ashes Tests.

And don't get me started on Joe Root. Played on different tracks to everyone else in the three games England won in 2015 in a series we won 3-2, for example.

Drivel I'm afraid. Try harder.
I’ll try harder when Root does in Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’ll try harder when Root does in Australia.
You said better Ashes player. Joe Root has played Ashes innings that the hacks in the Aussie batting line-up during his career that aren't Steve Smith could only dream of

Coronis

International Coach
You said better Ashes player. Joe Root has played Ashes innings that the hacks in the Aussie batting line-up during his career that aren't Steve Smith could only dream of
Every single one of them have played a better Ashes innings away though.

Also please you’re deluding yourself if you think Anderson led England to that Ashes win.