• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

CartyDurham

International Captain
Maybe India and NZ have better attacks now but Pakistan and Sri Lanka had vastly better attacks then. Australia, South Africa and West Indies about the same.
Australia had McGrath, Gillespie ,Warne , Windies had Ambrose and Walsh

saffers had pollock and whatshisname white lightening

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Bell is miles ahead of Pope. Bell's average is far higher and probably played in a better era for bowlers. If Pope gets 20 test hundreds I'll eat my hat.
Bell's career (2004 to 2015) coincides with one of the best batting era's in test cricket history (2000 to 2016) and ended up averaging 42. I can't find the batting average by position for that era, but the overall mark is 34. That obviously includes tail enders. The sum of bell's career really isn't much better than the average player in that period. Feels a bit overrated, IDK.

Bijed

International Regular
Think Boycott said for good batsmen they should be getting a ton whilst playing five tests

Pope is on an average about a ton every 8 tests

if these two get going though it will be entertaining
That ratio would be a decent amount higher since he started batting at 3 tbf. No guarantee that it will continue, and you can't really just ignore the first, bad part of his career for ratings/comparisons as it's not like he was stupidly young/had a baptism by fire or anything like that, but his overall numbers are going to be a bit misleading at this point

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Bell's career (2004 to 2015) coincides with one of the best batting era's in test cricket history (2000 to 2016) and ended up averaging 42. I can't find the batting average by position for that era, but the overall mark is 34. That obviously includes tail enders. The sum of bell's career really isn't much better than the average player in that period. Feels a bit overrated, IDK.
Bell would average under 40 if he debuted in like 2015

CartyDurham

International Captain
That ratio would be a decent amount higher since he started batting at 3 tbf. No guarantee that it will continue, and you can't really just ignore the first, bad part of his career for ratings/comparisons as it's not like he was stupidly young/had a baptism by fire or anything like that, but his overall numbers are going to be a bit misleading at this point
I think there’s a really top player there in Pope so it’s down to him to prove it

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I will never understand how they can discuss the light when a side is hitting boundaries.

I also don't get what the issue is with the floodlights taking over from the light is?

If they can see the ball then there is no issue. I know it can make it harder to bat.
But it's robbing the fans whenever they go off for light unless it's dangerous.

kevinw

International 12th Man
I think Bell massively underperformed and should have had a record like Pietersen's. Much like Pope has massively underperformed and should have a record like Root's. Both have or had far more talent than they demonstrated.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The 'average' player doesn't hold on to their spot for a decade, or have much in the way of series-winning career highlights. I think people who do manage that are a fair chunk above.

Also I would argue that 2012-16 in England is more like the current era even though it was still very batting friendly elsewhere, especially in Australia, and we didn't really notice it at the time.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Anyone remember the days in tests in England where they had a set of lights on the scoreboard to indicate deterioration in the light

was usually when 3 were lit, they started to worry and off when the fourth one lit up

during the 80s iirc

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I mean it's only harder to bat now as batsman are generally worse after a diet of white ball instead of red ball.

This England side a perfect example of this they've had to adapt into an ultra aggressive side as they don't have the technique to play like sides would in "one of the best batting eras".

So diminishing Bell is daft as he'd be like a god amongst men in this current side.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Maybe India and NZ have better attacks now but Pakistan and Sri Lanka had vastly better attacks then. Australia, South Africa and West Indies about the same.
In Bell's prime - SA, Pak and SL were better bowling sides than now but would say Pope has faced stronger bowling and in tougher conditions in his career overall. Don't think he will reach Bell's level though.