• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

King Kane

International Debutant
Ian Ward has a cheek for giving Hodge stick for squealing when he scored his test hundred, he didn't get close to a test hundred in his 5 test career.

You would cop that sort of stick from Nasser and Athers who made test hundreds but not from Wardy. Hodge probably too polite to point that out.

Reactions: FBU

Brook's side

International Regular
Ian Ward has a cheek for giving Hodge stick for squealing when he scored his test hundred, he didn't get close to a test hundred in his 5 test career.

You would cop that sort of stick from Nasser and Athers who made test hundreds but not from Wardy. Hodge probably too polite to point that out.
Probably doesn't know Ward played.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Didn't catch anything post lunch. Did Wood go any quicker than 97mph? Did he leave injured or something?
No, he bowled really well just massively unlucky beat the edge 17 times I think they said. Root also dropped a dolly off him too(can't remember when that was now)

Yep went off I think around 78 over mark feeling his hamstring.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England Batting 2 years PRE bazball:
View attachment 40973

England batting during the 2 years of Bazball:
View attachment 40974
Bowling 2 years before Bazball:
View attachment 40975

During Bazball:
View attachment 40976

Thought i'de compile these after the earlier discussion. Batting stands out straight away. Root and stokes are pretty much the same, but everyone else is way better. England went from having one, maybe two batsmen when stokes was fit to having a top 6 that are all making runs. It looks like the bowlers are averaging slightly more, but you'd need to do way more in depth analysis to draw any reasonable conclusions around that vs the increased batting averages.

For all the talk about tangible benefits, I think under McCullum and stokes england have clearly assembled a much better batting lineup. Bowling is a bit more worrying, with Anderson and broad retiring, robinson seemingly being thrown to the wayside and leach struggling. I mentioned the scoreline against AUS at home and in India in a previous post, but after running through it in my head a bit more I think that may just be a symptom of those sides improving as much as England have, and not England stagnating. Can't be bothered pulling up the stats, but the 2023 Australian batting lineup was much better in 2023, while we fielded basically the same bowling lineup in 2019 and 2023. India are also just better in 2024 despite pant missing out. Rohit-Jaiswal-Gill is the best top 3 they've fielded in ages, sarfaraz is doing way better at 5 than rahane was, jurel covered for pant and jadeja makes that side much more balanced. Also having bumrah helps a ton.

TLDR; England have put together a much better batting lineup since McCullum took over. Bowling hasn't improved, but that's majorly an injury/retirement thing. Think similar score lines for India and Australia test's are down to those teams improving as much as ENG, can't be bothered checking the numbers to confirm that.

@grecian be interested to hear your thought on this.
I've been to have chips in a pub, not sure how I'm to react, yes we're better with batting, worse with bowling, similar results except for one great series.

Actually odd he's hardly mentioned in this but Duckett maybe the biggest success story. Bairstow was great at the start of Bazball, but has been appalling since, hopefully never plays for England again.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Great day for the West Indies. This feels like the mother of all roads now. Maybe England did leave runs out there. I've not seen Da Silva bat this fluently since his dayboo series.
They did. It's a road, the outfield is a belter and there's no overhead support. Their conversion rate over the past two home summers currently is atrocious. Tossed the NZ series away too. The style of play lends itself to high variance so there's a "got to take the rough with the smooth" element but the sloppiness is really getting on my nerves. You've got to be greedy in test cricket.

JDS is frustrating. He is one that genuinely *looks* better than his numbers. I had high hopes for him a few years ago.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
I've been to have chips in a pub, not sure how I'm to react, yes we're better with batting, worse with bowling, similar results except for one great series.

Actually odd he's hardly mentioned in this but Duckett maybe the biggest success story. Bairstow was great at the start of Bazball, but has been appalling since, hopefully never plays for England again.
Bairstow's leg break came just before his 33rd birthday which is the time batters traditionally start to decline and he is obviously a proper hand/eye oriented bat. Pity. He would have had a chance of getting his average up to 40 if he played that winter.

CartyDurham

International Captain

Salt and Vinegar, Tomato sauce or something else ?

slowfinger

International Debutant
Woakes was one of England's best bowlers in last year's Ashes series, he has some credits in the bank.

He needs a more helpful pitch than this one though at his pace.
they really need to not allow medium pacers into the test team though, you get away with it in England but everywhere else in the world it is unsustainable

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
For someone who can bowl 90+, Wood wood have taken far more wkts if he actually aimed at the stumps.
But interesting day, if windies get anything of a lead, they could cause an upset here. Bad miss by root when
Hodge was on 16, i guess wood is just too quick for the slip catchers sometimes. England could do with
a kick up the backside for all those soft dismissals on day 1. What odds are they offering on a windies
win?

Shady Slim

International Coach
this is so good from the windies. eminently possible they lollapse on the new morning but i'd love to see them push and get a favourable result, setting up a wi series win in the decider next

slowfinger

International Debutant
i'm fuming at England today. 3rd most runs conceded in a day's play since 2011. literally the first match since they skittled twice and now Anderson and Broad are out of the picture the bowling team had a point to prove. At the moment they look so inexperienced and the Ashes is looking a very daunting prospect again.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'm fuming at England today. 3rd most runs conceded in a day's play since 2011. literally the first match since they skittled twice and now Anderson and Broad are out of the picture the bowling team had a point to prove. At the moment they look so inexperienced and the Ashes is looking a very daunting prospect again.
Other teams are allowed to score runs too.