• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* The Hundred 2024 thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is the team based at Headingley ?

if so I suppose that’s my team as it’s the closest to Durham
Yes. I’m a Lancs partial member but refuse to support a team with Manchester in the name so I opted to support Ben Stokes. He’s played maybe 2 games ever for the superchargers and I stand by it

CartyDurham

International Captain
Yes. I’m a Lancs partial member but refuse to support a team with Manchester in the name so I opted to support Ben Stokes. He’s played maybe 2 games ever for the superchargers and I stand by it
I watch this only because I’m someone who watches any cricket I can get . I couldn’t name who has won this tournament in the previous years

will never understand a concept to “spread the game” limited to 8 grounds in the country

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I watch this only because I’m someone who watches any cricket I can get . I couldn’t name who has won this tournament in the previous years

will never understand a concept to “spread the game” limited to 8 grounds in the country
I agree with a lot of the criticisms and franchises are against what I generally enjoy in following sports teams. First couple of years were meh but last year I thought both men and women put on cracking tournaments.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I agree with a lot of the criticisms and franchises are against what I generally enjoy in following sports teams. First couple of years were meh but last year I thought both men and women put on cracking tournaments.
That’s good to read . I hopefully will see some good play from this supercharger team . Funnily enough I’ve enjoyed watching the England Women T20 series v New Zealand

I won’t see it all but will be dipping in and out of this competition

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That’s good to read . I hopefully will see some good play from this supercharger team . Funnily enough I’ve enjoyed watching the England Women T20 series v New Zealand

I won’t see it all but will be dipping in and out of this competition
In theory my 17 year old daughters are coming to Originals V Superchargers this year. Hoping it converts them to the white ball game at least. Two games for £15 a ticket, can’t knock that really

mackembhoy

International Regular
In theory my 17 year old daughters are coming to Originals V Superchargers this year. Hoping it converts them to the white ball game at least. Two games for £15 a ticket, can’t knock that really
And that right there's part of the problem how cheap the tickets are.

Could have just used all their cash reserves to make the Blast better and got counties to cut their ticket prices to encourage more families in that way.

But nah cos the ECB didn't trademark T20 they came up with something new that they could to try and pull in investors with. Then placate it by making it cheaper and claiming it's all about participation.

ECB have always only ever cared about making money.

More people watch crufts than English cricket on TV now. Peak of 8 million watched 2005 Ashes and less than 700k watched Jimmy retire.

2.1 mil was the highest viewing figure of Ashes 2023. Hundred opening game 1.7 thanks to terrestrial. Now averaging 400k a game, not really worth it to try and ruin cricket in this country.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Just really echoes what I said above.

Just sad that they've spent all their cash reserves on this and it's just going to see cricket in worse place in this country domestically.

'Car crash' Hundred sale plans may fall millions short of ECB target (telegraph.co.uk)

Article past the paywall

'Car crash' Hundred sale plans in danger of falling hundreds of millions short of ECB target (archive.ph)
It’s never going to work until all counties are involved

how the ECB can think by placing the games in 8 areas is spreading the game will always be beyond me

that’s isolating the game

Third_Man

State 12th Man
The franchises acting like spoilt children again:

Harry Brook will be replaced by Pat Brown for Superchargers' opening two games
Ben Stokes will be unavailable for four games - Ben Dwarshuis will be his replacement for games on 26 July, 30 July, 11 August and 13 August
Mohammad Amir will replace Spencer Johnson for the match on 23 July
Dan Hughes will be available for Brave's opening match instead of Finn Allen

Don't they have 16 in their squads? 3 overseas, 1 england contracted and 10 drafted / retained plus 2 wild cards. But they have enough money sloshing around that they daren't start have their month long "season" with only 15 players to choose from. Must have 16 so that they can tell 5 they aren't playing.

They should be told they can't play any domestic player that they have not produced through their own academy. They have had 5 years to set them up (and put something back into the game).

mackembhoy

International Regular
The franchises acting like spoilt children again:

Harry Brook will be replaced by Pat Brown for Superchargers' opening two games
Ben Stokes will be unavailable for four games - Ben Dwarshuis will be his replacement for games on 26 July, 30 July, 11 August and 13 August
Mohammad Amir will replace Spencer Johnson for the match on 23 July
Dan Hughes will be available for Brave's opening match instead of Finn Allen

Don't they have 16 in their squads? 3 overseas, 1 england contracted and 10 drafted / retained plus 2 wild cards. But they have enough money sloshing around that they daren't start have their month long "season" with only 15 players to choose from. Must have 16 so that they can tell 5 they aren't playing.

They should be told they can't play any domestic player that they have not produced through their own academy. They have had 5 years to set them up (and put something back into the game).
TBF none of them replacements are players are contracted to play in the One Day Cup apart from Pat Brown.

I might be wrong but isn't he only playing T20 cricket for Derbyshire anyway?

Agree with the sentiment however as they massively impacted Durham last year calling up Clark as an injury replacement.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I sort of start this thread annually as tongue in cheek, but last year I thought the actual cricket was good. Hoping for similar this time out.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I sort of start this thread annually as tongue in cheek, but last year I thought the actual cricket was good. Hoping for similar this time out.
Why wouldn't it be good? It's essentially a version of the Blast which is also very good. The quality of cricket is not in question, the point of it is.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why wouldn't it be good? It's essentially a version of the Blast which is also very good. The quality of cricket is not in question, the point of it is.
Okay I’ll be less subtle. There are a bunch of threads to moan about the hundred in, can we use this one to talk about the cricket

Third_Man

State 12th Man
TBF none of them replacements are players are contracted to play in the One Day Cup apart from Pat Brown.

I might be wrong but isn't he only playing T20 cricket for Derbyshire anyway?

Agree with the sentiment however as they massively impacted Durham last year calling up Clark as an injury replacement.
Agreed Graham Clark's situation was crazy last year but it came about because the franchises have been allowed to replace at will rather than live within their squads. OK if they come down to below 14 might be fair enough to top up, but one or two matches at 15 should be survivable unless they have picked the wrong squad in the first place. And to replace Brook with Pat Brown underlines that they have drafted the wrong squad.

The fact that these replacements aren't in the MBC is neither here nor there. All they do is take (from everywhere and anywhere). Hurst and Aspinwall have joined the circus this year. They were in their County's Academy from 2019 to 2022. There will be other similar examples no doubt. The franchise could have set up links to local cricket during that period but haven't they totally rely on others to provide their players.