• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Interesting though that people were happy to consider other formats when it came to Grace but not really with LO cricket. Not my view as I think it takes a lot more skill to play modern LO cricket than 19th century FC but an interesting observation.
I certainly ranked a few players higher because of their ODI performances (and regret not doing so more often). And Grace is a one-off, getting picked because he's so far ahead of his peers - no-one was suggesting (e.g.) Freeman or Giffen because of their great feats in 19th century FC cricket.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Guys...... There has again been a tie for the last spot. Again, 3 options:

A) Just omit the 101 position and take the first 9
B) Rank both and make it an awkward 102
C) Extent the poll till 125 with 2 more rounds
D) Just rank one of them by a tie breaker (may seem bad as that wasn't done in the round prior)

Please vote for one of these options and discuss them. I will post the results tomorrow based on these results. If you have any other idea, feel free to suggest them. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
Guys...... There has again been a tie for the last spot. Again, 3 options:

A) Just omit the 101 position and take the first 9
B) Rank both and make it an awkward 102
C) Extent the poll till 125 with 2 more rounds
D) Just rank one of them by a tie breaker (may seem bad as that wasn't done in the round prior)

Please vote for one of these options and discuss them. I will post the results tomorrow based on these results. If you have any other idea, feel free to suggest them. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
125 sounds good tho.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Okay, so just taking the first 9 and making it a Top 100 (as initially planned) seems to be the majority consensus. So we will do that. Not totally sure whether to extend it to 125 or not. I am all down for it and till now @howitzer , @sayon basak and @AndrewB have shown interest. Will be interested in what @Line and Length, @OverratedSanity , @Qlder , @PlayerComparisons , @ma1978 , @Red_Ink_Squid , @Patience and Accuracy+Gut, @BazBall21 , @h_hurricane thinks; alongside anyone else interested to vote going forward.
13 voters this round. Still 39 players got a nod. As previously stated, the 101st position was a tie, so we will leave it like that. For the rest, it has been a close voting and here's the results:

PlayersPointsVotes
Jasprit Bumrah658
Alec Bedser6010
Graeme Smith558
Matthew Hayden386
Frank Woolley337
Kagiso Rabada305
Lance Gibbs296
Hashim Amla285
Stan McCabe284
Inzamam-ul-Haq245
George Lohmann243
Graham Gooch223
Brian Statham213
Charlie MaCartney204
Jeff Thomson202
Eddie Barlow184
Doug Walters183
Clive Rice163
Sanath Jayasuriya142
Kevin Pietersen134
Vincent van der Bijl132
John Snow132
Derek Underwood113
Bob Willis112
Shoaib Akhtar101
Aravinda De Silva101
Colin Cowdrey92
John Waite91
Zaheer Abbas83
Alaistar Cook83
Eddie Paynter71
Shivnarine Chanderpaul62
David Gower52
Monty Noble41
Tony Greig41
Mahela Jayawardene33
Chris Gayle21
Dean Jones21
Ian Healy11

Here's the Top 100:

RankPlayers
1Don Bradman
2Garry Sobers
3Imran Khan
4W G Grace
5Sachin Tendulkar
6Richard Hadlee
7Jack Hobbs
8Malcolm Marshall
9Viv Richards
10Glenn McGrath
11Shane Warne
12Mutthiah Muralitharan
13Jacques Kallis
14Keith Miller
15Brian Lara
16Wally Hammond
17Len Hutton
18Adam Gilchrist
19Wasim Akram
20Sydney Barnes
21Curtly Ambrose
22Dale Steyn
23Sunil Gavaskar
24Steve Smith
25Dennis Lillee
26Bill O'Reilly
27George Headley
28Greg Chappell
29Ian Botham
30Fred Trueman
31Herbert Sutcliffe
32Ricky Ponting
33Ray Lindwall
34Allan Border
35Joel Garner
36Allan Donald
37Kumar Sangakkara
38Graeme Pollock
39Steve Waugh
40Shaun Pollock
41Michael Holding
42Alan Davidson
43Kapil Dev
44Alan Knott
45Victor Trumper
46Barry Richards
47Waqar Younis
48K S Ranjitsinhji
49Mike Procter
50Frank Worrell
51Virat Kohli
52Ravichandran Ashwin
53Rahul Dravid
54Everton Weekes
55Wilfred Rhodes
56Javed Miandad
57A B de Villiers
58Aubrey Faulkner
59Joe Root
60Ken Barrington
61Clyde Walcott
62Courtney Walsh
63Richie Benaud
64Dennis Compton
65Clarrie Grimmett
66Pat Cummins
67James Anderson
68Neil Harvey
69Peter May
70Fred Spofforth
71Jim Laker
72Gordon Greenidge
73Kane Williamson
74Andy Roberts
75Harold Larwood
76Les Ames
77Hedley Verity
78Younis Khan
79Ravindra Jadeja
80Martin Crowe
81Clive Lloyd
82Geoff Boycott
83Rohan Kanhai
84Dudley Nourse
85Ben Stokes
86Clem Hill
87Andy Flower
88Virendra Sehwag
89M S Dhoni
90Anil Kumble
91Shakib Al Hasan
92Jasprit Bumrah
93Alec Bedser
94Graeme Smith
95Matthew Hayden
96Frank Woolley
97Kagiso Rabada
98Lance Gibbs
99Hashim Amla
100Stan McCabe

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I think 100 is fine though I would have been interested to see where Brian Statham would finally be placed. He, along with Lance Gibbs and Alec Bedser (both ranked in the 90s) all held the record for most Test wickets at some stage and are, imo, greatly underrated.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I think 100 is fine though I would have been interested to see where Brian Statham would finally be placed. He, along with Lance Gibbs and Alec Bedser (both ranked in the 90s) all held the record for most Test wickets at some stage and are, imo, greatly underrated.
I feel pacers in general, and all bowlers to an extent, got a little shot end of the stick

ma1978

International Debutant
A very good exercise and a very good, interesting list, it certainly beats the list of any pundit!

one random observation - Kallis at 12 and Pollock at 40. Aren’t they mirror images of each other?

BazBall21

International Captain
A very good exercise and a very good, interesting list, it certainly beats the list of any pundit!

one random observation - Kallis at 12 and Pollock at 40. Aren’t they mirror images of each other?
Kallis better longevity but Pollock's physical materials declining coincided with an extremely batsman friendly era.

ma1978

International Debutant
Kallis better longevity but Pollock's physical materials declining coincided with an extremely batsman friendly era.
pollock took 400 wickets at a very good average which at least matches Kallis batting efforts

would say the same about their batting / bowling

not saying Kallis overrated but Pollock underrated

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Then it's the end folks. Really enjoyed running this poll. Don't think the poll is perfect and there are surely more than handful of players I think are too high or too low; but overall, I think it came out really good with some solid respect for the old era and a respectable representation of FC, and some of LOIs. I really like this poll result more than most expert lists I have seen, if not all of them, despite everyone not always being on the same page.
Thanks to everyone who vote and especially those who persisted till the end. We all disagree on many things cricket related, but this collective thought of ours looks proud worthy.

howitzer

State Captain
Then it's the end folks. Really enjoyed running this poll. Don't think the poll is perfect and there are surely more than handful of players I think are too high or too low; but overall, I think it came out really good with some solid respect for the old era and a respectable representation of FC, and some of LOIs. I really like this poll result more than most expert lists I have seen, if not all of them, despite everyone not always being on the same page.
Thanks to everyone who vote and especially those who persisted till the end. We all disagree on many things cricket related, but this collective thought of ours looks proud worthy.
Thanks for running it. I had a lot of fun.