• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T20 World Cup Finals Draft - Voting Thread

Vote for your top three teams

• Total voters

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Vote for your top three. Here are the teams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L&L

M.Jayawardene
J.Roy
V.Kholi
K.Sangakarra
M.Samuels
D.Mitchell
A.Mathews
S.Broad
A.Nortje
S.Badree
A.Mendis

Unlike others, I had a relatively limited knowledge of T20i performances. As the selection criteria was restricted to those who had played in T20 WC semi finals and finals, I checked the scorecards from those games, noting those who had made significant contributions (multiple wickets and/or 25+ runs at a good SR) in these matches. I also noted who had won MoM and or MVP awards in those games. There were players who had good reputations in T20 but who had failed in the pressure-cooker of WC finals. I ignored those. My initial selections were for players with more than one significant performance plus a MoM or MVP award. As a result, the first 8 in my batting order all have MoM honours with a total of 10 awards between them. As for my bowlers, all have performed well with four of them in the top 50 of all-time ICC T20i rankings (I consulted this upon finding fewer bowlers with multiple significant contributions in finals - all have at least one - and was swayed by their overall rankings).
I'm not sure how this line-up will go in the voting, but as far as performances in WC finals go they would be hard to toss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOJOXI

Quinton de Kock (wk)
Brendon McCullum (c)
Steve Smith
Ross Taylor
Andrew Symonds
Kieron Pollard
Ravindra Jadeja
Mitchell Starc
Pat Cummins
Shane Bond
Mutthiah Muralitharan

Happy with this side - most of the batters are elite fielders as well, an experienced, aggressive opening pair, solidity provided by S Smith and Taylor, a dynamic Symonds and heaps of T20 experience in Pollard and Jadeja who can be aggressive from ball 1 or play themselves in for the big finish.

Bond and Starc provide security in the death overs and ensures Cummins can excel in the powerplay and middle overz. With the ability and variety of Murali wouldn't mind him bowling late into the innings either. Meanwhile, Jadeja is adept at strangling teams with the ball and with the death bowling options he could very much do that.

Silver Silva

1.Shane Watson
2.Phil Salt (WK)
3.Dawid Malan
4.Eoin Morgan (C)
5.Glenn Maxwell
6.Hardik Pandya
7.Mohammad Nabi
8.Mitchell Santner
9.Rashid Khan
10.Shaheen Shah Afridi
11.Josh Hazlewood

I have followed HB's principles of a long batting line up with plenty of all-round options, I believe my XI is perfectly balanced and suited to all conditions, my captain has been a part of teams that have won world cups and will instill a no fear mentality among the group, the batting is power-packed with six hitting experts all the way through to No.10 which will be held together by the criminally underrated Dawid Malan who has an outstanding T20 record..

1.Shane Watson (7)
1462 runs @ 29.24 , SR 145
48 wickets @24.72, Economy 7.45

2.Phil Salt (WK)
885 runs @35.40, SR 165

3.Dawid Malan
1892 runs @36.38, SR 132

4.Eoin Morgan
2458 runs @28.58, SR 136

5.Glenn Maxwell (8)
2600 runs @29.89, SR 154
43 wickets @30.70 , Economy 7.99

6.Hardik Pandya (6)
1492 runs @26.64, SR 140.89
84 wickets @25.49, Economy 8.11

7.Mohammad Nabi (4)
2165 runs @22.31, SR 136
96 wickets @28.11, Economy 7.33

8.Mitchell Santner (5)
115 wickets @22.02, Economy 7.05
675 runs @16.46 , SR 122

9.Rashid Khan (3)
152 wickets @14.13, Economy 6.08
460 runs @13.93, SR 128

10.Shaheen Shah Afridi (2)
96 wickets @20.39 , Economy 7.65

11.Josh Hazlewood (1)
65 wickets @22.29, Economy 7.48

Bitmap

Aaron Finch
Adam Gilchrist+
Rohit Sharma*
Yuvraj Singh
Suresh Raina
David Miller
Albie Morkel
Chris Jordan
Tim Southee
Lasith Malinga
Imran Tahir

GIMH

Kieswetter
Hales
Buttler+*
Pietersen
Root
Brook
Curran
Woakes
Swann
Rashid
Sidebottom

trundler

Warner
Gayle 6
Williamson*
Hussey
Klaasen+
White 7
Stoinis 5
Tanvir 2
Ferguson 3
Zampa 4
Boult 1

Luffy

1. Sunil Narine
  2. Matthew Hayden
  3. Faf du Plessis (c)
  4. A B de Villiers
  5. Jonny Bairstow (wk)
  6. Andre Russell
  7. Sanath Jayasuriya
  8. Thisara Perera
  9. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
  10. Kuldeep Yadav
  11. Mohammad Amir

Yes, I didn't made the whole team solely on T20I stats, which I found highly unreliable for player quality judgement, but just selected the best XI I could, the team most likely to come out on top in a T20 match. Personally believe my AT IPL XI and T20I XI shan't have many changes, probably a few Pakistani players like Gul and Afridi.
Narine is a proper destructive batsman if sent to open, capable of scoring at great rates. With such destruction, I have Hayden, someone with a more systematic but nevertheless affective approach. At 3 is Faf, a criminally underrated T20 bat, capable of scoring quite quickly while simultaneously building the innings. At 4 is the best T20 batsman I ever saw, Mr 360 ABD. Yes, his T20I stats are relatively lackluster to his record in IPL, BBL and other T20 leagues, but he still has some absolute bangers like his 60* vs Eng. A batsman truly capable of playing all over the ground, having multiple shots for the same delivery and without any weakness to any kind of bowler. At 5 is Bairstow, slightly out of position but batted plenty down the order for Eng once he switched positions with Jos. A very good batsman capable of destructive long bangers. At 6 I have Russell, one of if not the most destructive T20 finisher. At 7 is Jayasuriya. Again out of place, but if needed he can as well switch places with Narine and open. Again a very destructive bat, arguably the OG destructive bat in the modern white ball game. At 8 is Perera, a batsman who could play a quick knock very well. Bhuvi and Kuldeep at 9 and 10 provides this lineup adequate depth in batting. One thing for sure with this team, the runs will come fast everywhere.
But after all this, this team's strength lies in its bowling. Narine is one of the T20 bowling GoATs, extremely difficult to score off without risking your wicket. With Bhuvi and Amir as my two pacers, neither the powerplay nor the slot is going to be easy run for the batsmen. In the middle overs, Kuldeep is one of the most destructive T20 bowlers, capable of breaking any budding partnership, even more lethal with Narine keeping it very tight. I have 3 options for the 4th bowler; Russell's pace, Perera's medium pace and Jayasuriya's SLA; all 3 offering something different covering all conditions and very useful in tangent. 3 Right arm fast, 1 Left arm fast, 1 off spinner, 1 chinaman and 1 SLA; it's a tragedy I am lacking a leg spinner. @honestbharani will like this attack.
Lastly, this side is also great in the field with guns like Faf, ABD, Russell and Jayasuriya running around.

Teuton

Mohammad Rizwan wk
KL Rahul
Babar Azam
Suryakumar Yadav
Aiden Markram c
Jimmy Neesham
Shadab Khan
David Willey
Dale Steyn
Jasprit Bumrah
Saeed Ajmal

Honest Hunks

1. Gautam Gambhir
2. Fakhar Zaman
3. Mitch Marsh
4. Moeen Ali
5. M S Dhoni (wk&c)
6. Liam Livingstone
7. Axar Patel
8. Ravichandran Ashwin
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Jofra Archer
11. Kagiso Rabada

Fuller Pilch

Devon Conway (wk)
Martin Guptill
Colin Munro
Glenn Phillips
JP Duminy
Shahid Afridi
Darren Sammy (c)
Dwayne Bravo
Daniel Vettori
Umar Gul
Dirk Nannes

9 very good bowling options (including some T20 ATGs) - everyone except the openers can bowl well, deep and aggressive batting (Vettori at 9), mix of left and right handed/armed batters and bowlers, very good captains/leaders, and some elite fielders.
Quality side.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
My voting is based purely on T20 World Cup Finals performances and a point system I derived for those performances. That system gave GIMH 22 points, Honest Hunks 19 and trundler 18. Fuller Pilch (17) just missed out. Modesty prevents me announcing how my team went. :p

capt_Luffy

International Captain
My voting is based purely on T20 World Cup Finals performances and a point system I derived for those performances. That system gave GIMH 22 points, Honest Hunks 19 and trundler 18. Fuller Pilch (17) just missed out. Modesty prevents me announcing how my team went. :p
Genuinely interested in how much my team made, if not for everyone's

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuinely interested in how much my team made, if not for everyone's
Sorry to say, your team, along with one other, had a single digit score. Both teams had a number of highly rated players who had few, if any, significant performances in WC finals. Fortunately, apart from me, judging is on overall T20i records - not just WC Finals.
Since I posted my 'system' I have gone from 2 votes to 1 :( ... a protest perhaps.