• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
M S Dhoni
Andy Flower
Clive Lloyd
Dudley Nourse
Jasprit Bumrah
Shakib Al Hasan
Alec Bedser
Stan McCabe
Jeff Thomson
Akhtar

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil Dev came in at #43 while Shakib not even in top 80. But in all rounders poll, the latter was ranked ahead. That was an odd call tbh.

sayon basak

State Regular
Kapil Dev came in at #43 while Shakib not even in top 80. But in all rounders poll, the latter was ranked ahead. That was an odd call tbh.
Maybe because Kapil Dev's captaincy makes him an overall greater cricketer. And Jadeja was also below shakib in that all rounder list, in 11th or 12th maybe, though everybody would consider jadeja to be the better all rounder. Stokes is also expected to appear before shakib in this list, although he was also below shakib in that list. Shakib being 6th in all rounders ranking might be too high for him.

Think we should do the batsmans, bowlers, all rounders and keepers rankings again to see how much things have changed.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Maybe because Kapil Dev's captaincy makes him a overall greater cricketer. And Jadeja was also below shakib in that all rounder list, in 11th or 12th maybe, though everybody would consider jadeja to be the better all rounder.

Think we should do the batsman, bowlers, all rounders and keepers ranking again to see how much things have changed.
Those polls were re-ran by @Line and Length like 2-4 months ago. Though he haven't ran one for allrounders yet. We might request him to ran that one after this poll gets rapped up.

howitzer

State Captain
Missed the last vote. Apologies @capt_Luffy. It would have changed the order of the 10 selected but not who they were as I would have given Crowe 3 points which would have kept him ahead of Nourse amusingly.

Nourse
Waite
van der Bijl
Hill
Flower
Kumble
Stokes
Hayden
Barlow
G Smith

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Missed the last vote. Apologies @capt_Luffy. It would have changed the order of the 10 selected but not who they were as I would have given Crowe 3 points which would have kept him ahead of Nourse amusingly.

Nourse
Waite
van der Bijl
Hill
Flower
Kumble
Stokes
Hayden
Barlow
G Smith
Let you on a secret, I was really missing you in the last round as I wanted Nourse to make that so badly..... Personally think he is easily better than May and Harvey.

howitzer

State Captain
Let you on a secret, I was really missing you in the last round as I wanted Nourse to make that so badly..... Personally think he is easily better than May and Harvey.
I would still have had to vote tactically to get him in there and I don't want to do that though. He should hopefully at least make this 10 though. Still lots of good players left here.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Virender Sehwag
Sanath Jayasuriya
Stan McCabe
Charlie Macartney
Clive Rice
Shakib Al Hasan
Clive Lloyd
Geoff Boycott
Clem Hill
Jasprit Bumrah

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Geoff Boycott
Graham Gooch
Rohan Kanhai
Clive Lloyd
Lance Gibbs
Colin Cowdrey
John Snow
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar
Hashim Amla
Ben Stokes

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
There has been a tie for the last spot. So I am asking you folks, what should I do? Shall I use a tie breaker and give the 90th spot to one and not rank the other; or shall I rank one 90th and other 91st, and simply make it 101. Personally, gravitating towards the latter.

sayon basak

State Regular
There has been a tie for the last spot. So I am asking you folks, what should I do? Shall I use a tie breaker and give the 90th spot to one and not rank the other; or shall I rank one 90th and other 91st, and simply make it 101. Personally, gravitating towards the latter.
Use geometric mean of the rankings of those two players. See who's ranking is less.

Edit:- geometric mean of a,b,c,....,n=(abc....n)^(1/n)

Last edited:

Avengers

Cricket Spectator
Go for the later

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Use geometric mean of the rankings of those two players. See who's ranking is less.
I am getting a clear 90th and 91st by using the very first tie breaker (no of votes). Just asking because this happened in the last spot, so can do two things:
A) Rank one 90th and other 91st
B) Rank one 90th and don't rank the other

Was personally leaning towards B here

Avengers

Cricket Spectator
I am getting a clear 90th and 91st by using the very first tie breaker (no of votes). Just asking because this happened in the last spot, so can do two things:
A) Rank one 90th and other 91st
B) Rank one 90th and don't rank the other

Was personally leaning towards B here
Rank another one at 91 and have 9 voting option for next poll. So you will end with 100 as well as you can have both the players.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
16 voters here. 45 players got votes. Some close rankings down the line, including a tie for the 90th spot. Decided to give one 90th and the other 91st and make it 101 in total.

Here are the results:

PlayersPointsVotes
Clive Lloyd
Geoff Boycott629
Rohan Kanhai549
Dudley Nourse477
Ben Stokes427
Clem Hill346
Andy Flower345
Virendra Sehwag335
M S Dhoni334
Anil Kumble306