• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Jim Laker

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

Xix2565

International Regular
You think I am being 'anti-India' then? That this is my bias? Please clarify.
Your bias is against certain cricketers you don't like personally and so you make up all sorts of 'reasons' by twisting context and facts. That Ashwin is Indian isn't relevant, you behave just like this for players who aren't Indian/Pakistani.

Xix2565

International Regular
You see two poor away records and decided that only one is terrible while the other is good. This is not being logical or reasonable. You ignore the general pitches they played on away from home, comparisons with their peers and so on. Again, no logic involved.

subshakerz

International Coach
That Ashwin is Indian isn't relevant, you behave just like this for players who aren't Indian/Pakistani.
Great glad we clarified that. Please note @honestbharani

You see two poor away records and decided that only one is terrible while the other is good. This is not being logical or reasonable. You ignore the general pitches they played on away from home, comparisons with their peers and so on. Again, no logic involved.
I genuinely don't think Laker is poor overall away. His record against a strong WI lineup is decent and a good series in Aus. SA yes poor but overall not worse than Ashwin in SENA who had many more chances.

At home he averages better than Ashwin with a super SR for his time, yes on very supportive wickets.

Overall I lean Laker based on the above.

Xix2565

International Regular
I genuinely don't think Laker is poor overall away. His record against a strong WI lineup is decent and a good series in Aus. SA yes poor but overall not worse than Ashwin in SENA who had many more chances.

At home he averages better than Ashwin with a super SR for his time, yes on very supportive wickets.

Overall I lean Laker based on the above.
No, Laker's record is unacceptable given he barely played away from home and didn't have the wide variety of conditions and oppositions. It's atrocious and an anchor as far as rating him goes. At home he had far more help and couldn't give more than what Ashwin has, so he's hardly as impressive of a home bully. Inferior on all counts.

subshakerz

International Coach
No, Laker's record is unacceptable given he barely played away from home and didn't have the wide variety of conditions and oppositions. It's atrocious and an anchor as far as rating him goes. At home he had far more help and couldn't give more than what Ashwin has, so he's hardly as impressive of a home bully. Inferior on all counts.
Lakers away samples were good enough for me given the era. Like I said, his stats are better at home anyways so we can adjust them to relatively equal

Xix2565

International Regular
Lakers away samples were good enough for me given the era. Like I said, his stats are better at home anyways so we can adjust them to relatively equal
Not for me, he was basically safeguarded from real tests and when he did play he was terrible in comparison. There is nothing here beyond 19 wickets that puts him close to Ashwin. Ashwin also has managed 5.16 WPM despite his away record.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not for me, he was basically safeguarded from real tests and when he did play he was terrible in comparison. There is nothing here beyond 19 wickets that puts him close to Ashwin. Ashwin also has managed 5.16 WPM despite his away record.
Ok so we can politely disagree.