• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Clarrie Grimmett

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

Coronis

International Coach
I mean we had a Laker vs Verity vs Grimmett vs Ashwin poll like 6 months ago, cbf rehashing stuff rn

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
I mean we had a Laker vs Verity vs Grimmett vs Ashwin poll like 6 months ago, cbf rehashing stuff rn
Yeah, but the results don't match

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
Grimmett easily. Played in flatter pitches. Did decent enough against an ATG Englands batting lineup. Arguably the best ever fielded from any country. Destroyed a good enough SA lineup including Nourse, Mitchell etc in South African pitches. Plus Gave Headley the toughest challenge of his career.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
It's anything but easily. He bullied two pretty weak SA and WI lineups. His English record is good but far from great.
He destroyed a lineup consisting Nourse, Cameron, Mitchell, Rowan, Viljoen in away conditions. That’s probably better than the average batting lineup Ashwin has bowled to. Also played in lot flatter home pitches instead of bowling in the dust bowl every time. The WI batting lineup was weak but there was a ATG player (Headley) whom Grimmett gave troubles.

Grimmett’s record against England is probably the best one can hope for as a spinner facing Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Leyland and other top class players. Warne and Murali got smashed facing a batting lineup of similar quality. Grimmett didnt.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
He destroyed a lineup consisting Nourse, Cameron, Mitchell, Rowan, Viljoen in away conditions. That’s probably better than the average batting lineup Ashwin has bowled to. Also played in lot flatter home pitches instead of bowling in the dust bowl every time. The WI batting lineup was weak but there was a ATG player (Headley) whom Grimmett gave troubles.

Grimmett’s record against England is probably the best one can hope for as a spinner facing Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Leyland and other top class players. Warne and Murali got smashed facing a batting lineup of similar quality. Grimmett didnt.
Did you really sneaked in Cameron (glory to fame as batsman being striking Verity a few fours, ATG keeper though) and Viljoen as strong batsmen?? Nourse was great and did ATG stuff in that series against a rampaging Grum and O'Reilly, Mitchell did okay but below par and Rowan was not on their level. That's much worse than the average lineups Ashwin plays as were the batsmen with him. Ashwin bowling at dust balls at home is a very bad myth, proved by the record of visiting spinners and it's not like Grimmett averages sub 25 at home either. Grimmett did very well against Headley, but much of his trouble arise never having played a leg spinner of similar calibre.

Again, by context Grum did well vs England, but hardly otherworldly. If someone rates Grimmett higher, I am fine by it these two are very close. But saying it's a no match is simply wrong.

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
Grimmett averaged 30+ against the only strong team of his era. He also doesn't pass the eye test at all. From most footage, seems to be a very slow floaty spinner who doesn't put his body into his action much. Overrated. I'll take Ashwin.
Grimmett's action was almost similar to that of Tich Freeman.

subshakerz

International Coach
Grimmett easily. Played in flatter pitches. Did decent enough against an ATG Englands batting lineup. Arguably the best ever fielded from any country. Destroyed a good enough SA lineup including Nourse, Mitchell etc in South African pitches. Plus Gave Headley the toughest challenge of his career.
Nothing is easy against Ashwin apparently.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing is easy against Ashwin apparently.
Do you think averaging 32 against the only strong team in your time is impressive? Grimmett pumped up his numbers by averaging sub 20 against minnows which comprised of half of his games. Grimmett is not O'Reilly.

Many of these jurassic era fossils have fraudulent records by modern nitpicky standards. None of you have the willpower to look this up nor the integrity to admit this. I'll take HTB Ashwin over this minnow bashing hack fraud any day no joke.

subshakerz

International Coach
Do you think averaging 32 against the only strong team in your time is impressive? Grimmett pumped up his numbers by averaging sub 20 against minnows which comprised of half of his games. Grimmett is not O'Reilly.

Many of these jurassic era fossils have fraudulent records by modern nitpicky standards. None of you have the integrity nor the will to admit this. I'll take HTB Ashwin over this overrated fraud any day no joke.
You might have a point but I don't care enough when it comes to pre-war cricketers. I am just voting on his rep like Barnes.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
But after all this bashing, tbf to Grimmett, he did faced a very strong English lineup. On that context and with WPM, 32 average is actually good. Definitely ahead of Verity atleast.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You might have a point but I don't care enough when it comes to pre-war cricketers. I am just voting on his rep like Barnes.
That's lazy. It's clear much of the rep is unearned in some cases.

You will never find me downplay how good O'Reilly or Hobbs were because their statistical records are beyond reproach and prove that their rep was warranted.

Grimmett was a fraud. You know it. Set aside your biases. You aren't this stupid . Well you are but you can choose to not be today.