• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Jim Laker

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
He was outright horrible in SA with context. And judging spinners 1 O 1 with average is a horrible process, especially in less helpful places. Kumble is the best touring spinner in Australia, he averages 34 there.
I will concede Laker is poor in SA if you concede Ashwin is poor, or at least below average, in England.

Ashwin is faaar from far worse in SA. By context, I will take Ashwin's record there over Laker's. If you think Ashwin in England=Laker in SA, you're just going purely by averages. And definitely Ashwin didn't played much weaker batting lineups, that just falls. If you're talking about WI, then the reverse is truer for SA.
Seriously? Averaging 50 with the ball and less than 2WPM? You're defending that?

In WI, Laker faced a strong lineup and ended up with respectable figures.

Laker is a bigger spin track bully, who rallished in wet pitches.
Sorry, Ashwin's home pitches neutralise this argument.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
He was outright horrible in SA with context. And judging spinners 1 O 1 with average is a horrible process, especially in less helpful places. Kumble is the best touring spinner in Australia, he averages 34 there.

Ashwin is faaar from far worse in SA. By context, I will take Ashwin's record there over Laker's. If you think Ashwin in England=Laker in SA, you're just going purely by averages. And definitely Ashwin didn't played much weaker batting lineups, that just falls. If you're talking about WI, then the reverse is truer for SA.

Laker is a bigger spin track bully, who rallished in wet pitches.
Exactly. Laker thrived on sticky pitches and green tops. Ashwin has performed on far fairer wickets at home, out of which extreme dust bowls are very rare.

subshakerz

International Coach
Laker isn’t better away cause his only good record away is Australia which is below 5 matches and it’s not like he set the world on fire to consider it seriously. He was bad in SA and WI. Ashwin was good in WI outside home and it’s not like conditions are uniformly identical in the SC. Further Ashwin is decent in England, and he is better at home cause of his insane WPM despite competition, performance against a broader range of oppositions, and insane SR for a spinner. Laker’s away record is in inconsequential.
Lol what double standards man.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
I will concede Laker is poor in SA if you concede Ashwin is poor, or at least below average, in England.

Seriously? Averaging 50 with the ball and less than 2WPM? You're defending that?

In WI, Laker faced a strong lineup and ended up with respectable figures.

Sorry, Ashwin's home pitches neutralise this argument.
Ashwin’s home pitches are not sticky wickets. The extreme dust bowls are very rare, cause so many Indian batsmen are harbouring amazing records at home

subshakerz

International Coach
Ashwin’s home pitches are not sticky wickets. The extreme dust bowls are very rare, cause so many Indian batsmen are harbouring amazing records at home
They are common enough to affect his record, and that of touring spinners who have also done tremendously well.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Ok but Ashwin is bowling at non-Indians.
See Kohli is a reasonably good player of spin, but he averages 60 at home. He’s not that good to average that high vs spin on dust bowls. So while there have been spin friendly wickets at home for Ashwin, nothing extreme.

subshakerz

International Coach
Anways Laker barely has a record outside home. He hasn’t even played 5 matches in Australia and it’s not his series there was Lara in SL or anything close so once can specially consider it. He was mediocre outside that
Sorry, its obvious you all are being extra harsh towards Laker and extra lenient towards Ashwin. Why? I have never seen you defend a bowler averaging over 40 in a country except to say he failed.

subshakerz

International Coach
See Kohli is a reasonably good player of spin, but he averages 60 at home. He’s not that good to average that high vs spin on dust bowls. So while there have been spin friendly wickets at home for Ashwin, nothing extreme.
Let's not go into this side-tangent pls. You know we will debate forever on it and its a minor point.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
They are common enough to affect his record, and that of touring spinners who have also done tremendously well.
Plenty of series like 2016 Ind vs Eng where runs were scored for fun and Ashwin picked 26 or more wickets in 5 matches. Even this series vs England, the wickets were not dust bowls by any measure, and he was the highest wicket taker.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Sorry, its obvious you all are being extra harsh towards Laker and extra lenient towards Ashwin. Why? I have never seen you defend a bowler averaging over 40 in a country except to say he failed.
Fine leave aside that but Laker barely has an away record. He is mediocre in SA and WI, and has barely played matches in Aus.

subshakerz

International Coach
Plenty of series like 2016 Ind vs Eng where runs were scored for fun and Ashwin picked 26 or more wickets in 5 matches. Even this series vs England, the wickets were not dust bowls by any measure, and he was the highest wicket taker.
We are talking an entire decade and on average it has been really spin friendly. Are we going too deny reality?

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
We are talking an entire decade and on average it has been really spin friendly. Are we going too deny reality?
Spin friendly sure. I have clearly mentioned that in all posts. But not on the level of the stickies Laker got. I am just giving examples of series where the pitches were pretty fair and Ashwin succeeded nonetheless

subshakerz

International Coach
Fine leave aside that but Laker barely has an away record. He is mediocre in SA and WI, and has barely played matches in Aus.
SA ok I can concede but his record in WI given the standard of batting was perfectly okay. I am really bothered you made this point.

subshakerz

International Coach
Spin friendly sure. I have clearly mentioned that in all posts. But not on the level of the stickies Laker got
I am on record saying it is incredibly hard to tell the exact degree of friendliness of pitch conditions except to recognize that they are friendly or not. So I dont know how to tell which was more receptive. But Laker averaged better regardless and an SR of 54 for his time was unbelievable.