• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Hammond has things like bowling and ATG slip fielding and Hutton was an opener; but more importantly than both, active players gets overlooked more often when looking at "greatness", as it encompasses many things. Like, some might even fine Smith points for the Sand paper gate.
That which I have highlighted certainly applies to me. I leave it to others to nominate current players. I overlook them as I like to consider a player's career in its entirety before evaluating them.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
He simply isn't top 5 in odis or even close to that level. I suggest you to check it properly and he wasn't even close to being great in tests. You're seriously overrating him. Massively overrated cricketer, arguably most overrated sportsperson of all time.
Definitely agree on how overrated he is. Far and away the most overrated cricketer in general public. If Dhoni belonged to any other country, Guy wouldn’t be talked about even 5 percent of what he is now.
Fine player but a long shot away from ATG status.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
He needed to be a fossil and a non Indian for you to rate him higher.
If he was an Australian or from any other country he still wouldn’t be any high. I don’t have Ian Healy, Rod Marsh or Dujon, even Ames as an ATG just like Dhoni. Knott is like 50/50 and tbh I don’t think anyone beside Gilchrist is an ATG either.

Last edited:

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
My TOP 10 as of now
More weightage provided to fair play, multi format brilliance, batting( the most difficult discipline), longevity & pressure factor.

1 Jaques Kallis ... GOAT all rounder
2. Don Bradman ...99.94 average GOAT batsman
3. Adam Gilchrist .... GOAT keeper (no player in the history of cricket can claim to be at least border line ATG in 2 disciplines, that too in 2 formats
4. Shaun Pollock - 2nd best all rounder.
5. Viv Richards - 2nd GOAT batsman
6. Glenn Mcgrath - GOAT bowler
7. Sachin Tendulkar - 3rd GOAT batsman
8 .Kapil Dev ....3rd best all rounder
9. Dale Steyn ---2nd GOAT bowler
10. Virat Kohli ... 3rd GOAT batsman ----nearly 50 average in all 3 formats. Needs to maintain his test credentials till the end of his career to remain at 10th position.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Kohli
Devilliers(travesty him and Kohli are so low considering they are top tier ODI ATGs and close to ATG test batsmen. Kohli’s even the damn T20 goat)
Root
Benaud
Weekes
Walcott
Ashwin
Walsh
Younis Khan
Rahul Dravid

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
And Dhoni is easily a top tier ODI ATG. Purely as a bat the very worst he is in the top 10(top 6-7 for me). Was the best bat in the world and amazing at his peak. His record at number 3 is amazing besides the other stuff that regularly gets mentioned. It’s nice that India has 4 bats in the top 10 ODI bats ever. And he’s in the running for the GOAT ODI captain and a pretty good WK.

howitzer

State Captain
And Dhoni is easily a top tier ODI ATG. Purely as a bat the very worst he is in the top 10(top 6-7 for me). Was the best bat in the world and amazing at his peak. His record at number 3 is amazing besides the other stuff that regularly gets mentioned. It’s nice that India has 4 bats in the top 10 ODI bats ever. And he’s in the running for the GOAT ODI captain and a pretty good WK.
I would say only three. Tendulkar (2nd), Kohli (3rd) and Dhoni (somewhere in the 5-8 range) would be for me but Sharma who I have as the fourth greatest Indian ODI bat would be outside for me. Easily top 20 and likely top 15 but not top 10.